Boat license vs registration for US entry

Flying Cloud

Does a Canadian boat need to be registered (as opposed to licensed) in order to enter the US and obtain a cruising license? Are there any advantages in practice to register the boat if I visit the San Juan's frequently?

Answer a few questions about your vessel, and we’ll let you know if you need to license or register it.

Does your vessel need any of the following?
  • A marine mortgage to be registered with Transport Canada
  • A registered unique name
  • To travel abroad and be recognized internationally as a registered vessel
Yes
No

Transport Canada also has a number you can call if you’re not sure. I would just license, but you know all your particulars.

Does a Canadian boat need to be registered (as opposed to licensed) in order to enter the US and obtain a cruising license? Are there any advantages in practice to register the boat if I visit the San Juan's frequently?
As previously mentioned, registration is not required on small pleasure craft. One advantage of registration, though is that it affirms your ownership of the boat. Licensing does not. Registration costs $250 and there are associated and ongoing costs as well. Registration does not provide any special advantage in entry to the U.S. Make sure to keep all of your boat related paperwork on hand ready for your meeting with border officials. Paperwork should include ownership proof, any titles, licenses, and tax paperwork-this will also be necessary on your return to Canada. You may also be required to carry proof that your boat conforms to Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) standards, usually by filling out an official EPA document.

Registration is not required for the US , just licensing. If you plan on cruising to Mexico that's another story. As Foxsea says keep your paperwork organized and on the boat.

Back