Boat Launches Open/Closed

Is this confirmed?

Cates is not open, I drive by there all the time and did today. Unless it opened after 3 pm...you can go into the park by foot but not with a vehicle.

Sewells ramp still appears to be open.

Cates is not open, I drive by there all the time and did today. Unless it opened after 3 pm...you can go into the park by foot but not with a vehicle.

Sewells ramp still appears to be open.
Thanks for the heads up, greatly appreciated and saved me some time tomorrow going to check it out. A beer is owed!

Thanks for the heads up, greatly appreciated and saved me some time tomorrow going to check it out. A beer is owed!

Another place to call is deep cove marina. Its private for moorage customers but they have a ramp and who knows maybe they will let you launch.

Cates is funny at the best of times. The park itself is open but there are definitly gates at the entrance so you're not able to drive in there. You could also try sunset marina in lions bay.

Just got off the phone from a fellow fisherman in Comox. He drove down to the Comox Marina ramp to check out how busy it was. This guy has lived in Comox for 40 years but he was gob smacked by what he saw. Wall to wall trailers completely filling the parking area. Trucks and trailers up the hill parked in every available spot, but also blocking a few driveways ! He also checked out Pt Holmes and the same gong show. With the major low tide today fishermen were having a lot of trouble figuring out that at this ramp you have to jack knife the trailer off the side of the ramp to get a boat in or out. He said it would have been funny to watch if it hadn't been so painful for the boat owners. I sure am glad I decided to make this my ride-um lawnmower day !

The horde have been unleashed, it’s no different in my neighbourhood today. Dinner parties galore the bubbles have been expanded

I drove by French creek yesterday for a drive to look around and the ramp was packed, would have been tough to find parking. Was gonna go today so was just doing a recon as haven’t been out since last fall. Decided not to go today as I think today would have been packed

Rocky point till open to PM residents only

upload_2020-5-10_8-7-45.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-5-10_8-7-46.jpeg
    upload_2020-5-10_8-7-46.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 2
Went to McDonald ramp yesterday. 10 trailers when we left must have been well over a hundred upon the return but what a nightmare with everyone trying to get back in. At least Richmond is getting some revenue to pay its workers instead of paying them and getting no revenue like Vancouver. Different thought processes I guess.

Went to McDonald ramp yesterday. 10 trailers when we left must have been well over a hundred upon the return but what a nightmare with everyone trying to get back in. At least Richmond is getting some revenue to pay its workers instead of paying them and getting no revenue like Vancouver. Different thought processes I guess.

Absolutely no reason why vanier is still closed. Must have been crazy at Mcdonald. How many boats were idling in the water waiting for their turn at the ramp?

Absolutely no reason why vanier is still closed. Must have been crazy at Mcdonald. How many boats were idling in the water waiting for their turn at the ramp?

The dock was completely full of returning boats yet the pylons kept dropping their huge boats, and boatercycles in without letting the returning boats come up (3 at the dock and two in the water floating). Specifically this one short little jabroni with a wakeboard craft (and no wakeboards...) budges in front of everyone, puts his boat in the 1.2 feet of available water, then walks away for a while, meanwhile everyone sits there waiting for him to figure out life. I've seen some ignorance in my life but that little turd tops it all.

Prep your crap before you get on the ramp and GTF out of the way.

Attachments

• 20200511_093210.jpg
    20200511_093210.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 113
Pandemic or no pandemic, once in a while idiots and morons which evolution should have made their stupidity an extinct gene come out of the woodwork.

1.2 feet is okay, gets worse with the big tides in May. Not uncommon to have to wait for the tide to come up this time of year. If you time it wrong could be waiting a couple hours joggin your boat in the river in the line up. I had to sit my butt on the bow to bring back end of the boat up of our 18 hourston.

Lots of guys with inboards just avoid the launch

Last edited:
McDonald Beach in my opinion at low tide is a risky undertaking on any given day. With my many concerns there I know my 23' with 250 leg up somehow just squeaks in with a couple feet of water. Mostly along with the known stupidity of others ,just outside the entrance there is a large sandbar hump on the west side that will eat you up. Must come straight in and then face the gauntlet. Last time thru at low tide an inboard was beach at the entrance and for some reason had thrown his anchor. He was holding a rope and I think he asking for assistance. No way to help as he blocked the entrance so I went for a short boat ride, came back, eventually towed him in, phoned the municipality asking to dredge, open the north side of the ramp and get rid of the half sunk abandoned watercraft. Met them the next day only because I mentioned the ramp was a liability and unsafe. They junked the watercraft, fixed the broken cement portion of ramp that I had stepped in on launching and somehow didn't break my ankle.
As for the dredging that was not their responsibility.
Sorry to derail the thread but that ramp bugs me to no end.lol

McDonald Beach in my opinion at low tide is a risky undertaking on any given day. With my many concerns there I know my 23' with 250 leg up somehow just squeaks in with a couple feet of water. Mostly along with the known stupidity of others ,just outside the entrance there is a large sandbar hump on the west side that will eat you up. Must come straight in and then face the gauntlet. Last time thru at low tide an inboard was beach at the entrance and for some reason had thrown his anchor. He was holding a rope and I think he asking for assistance. No way to help as he blocked the entrance so I went for a short boat ride, came back, eventually towed him in, phoned the municipality asking to dredge, open the north side of the ramp and get rid of the half sunk abandoned watercraft. Met them the next day only because I mentioned the ramp was a liability and unsafe. They junked the watercraft, fixed the broken cement portion of ramp that I had stepped in on launching and somehow didn't break my ankle.
As for the dredging that was not their responsibility.
Sorry to derail the thread but that ramp bugs me to no end.lol
Yeah that was my first launch there, and I avoided the sandyhump. I'm going to try and never use that place again. The butcher is right, launches seem to showcase the lower end of the intelligence spectrum it seems, however when you couple that with the sketchy conditions, it's a recipe for frustration.

Lol..anyone know if Vanier is officially opening this weekend? Sunset doesnt open until 7 or 8, correct?

Vanier was supposed to open this week but it looks like the park board has changed their minds after the beaches were crowded on the weekend. Doesn't make much sense to me, the majority of the parking at the launch is for trailer and truck parking, not single vehicle. Golf courses and tennis courts are ok though?:eek:

Back