Boat Launches Open/Closed

Absolutely ridiculous. What launches are even open now? All of us who have boats on trailers are now prohibited from playing with our toys? Social distancing may be important, and covid19 may be scary, but this has now gone overboard. How many people are dying from Influenza each season? My source tells me between 29000 and 59000 deaths. There have been nowhere near as much restrictions that arose from Influenza. The media definitely played a huge role in blowing this up as much as it is now, I bet this coronavirus will have vaccines made and will become seasonal, just like the influenza. Get off the damn TV and Internet and go do something by yourself like boating. Oh wait... can't anymore.

Absolutely ridiculous. What launches are even open now? All of us who have boats on trailers are now prohibited from playing with our toys? Social distancing may be important, and covid19 may be scary, but this has now gone overboard. How many people are dying from Influenza each season? My source tells me between 29000 and 59000 deaths. There have been nowhere near as much restrictions that arose from Influenza. The media definitely played a huge role in blowing this up as much as it is now, I bet this coronavirus will have vaccines made and will become seasonal, just like the influenza. Get off the damn TV and Internet and go do something by yourself like boating. Oh wait... can't anymore.
It’s not smart people that are causing this it’s people going out with 4-12 people on there boats guilty by association if it helps it’s probably the same people stealing traps

Buy your own boat launch then.

Let's not forget the simple stats.
Common flu deaths per infection rate .001 %
Corona virus death per infection rate 7% as of right now.

For every 10,000 common flu, 10 deaths
For every 10,000 corona virus, 700 deaths

We know so much about the common flu, can treat it and vaccinate it. We know nothing about corona virus, cant treat and cant vaccinate.

But........still does't seem reasonable to close boat launches.

So I thought I would check out this claim from our new member fisherman131. It turns out that in the US, yes 29K - 59K deaths do occur each year according to this website. How accurate that is I don't know.
https://www.health.com/condition/cold-flu-sinus/how-many-people-die-of-the-flu-every-year

Here is the rub....
Covid-19 has no vaccine and is at least 10 times more lethal.
So using those numbers simple math would say that this virus, left unchecked would be responsible for 290K - 590K deaths. Something tells me that the media is right about warning us that this is serious. One only has to watch what is happening in NYC with there new mass graves.
FYI: 18K confirmed covid-19 US deaths as of today and counting. Sadly many of the NYC deaths can't be confirmed as they have lost the ability to test the dead as resources are needed for the living.

Last edited:
Yup.....I tried looking at it yesterday and got a 403 Forbidden error.

@Admin Can you have a look?

Apologies for the boat launch thread going AWOL. Not really sure why it happened but we are not able to recover it. I have renamed this thread to reflect the topic so everyone can update the information here. Also, this does not need to turn into another discussion about Covid 19 as there are already threads to do that. Let's keep this on topic.

72F5A31E-9A32-414E-8983-A0096D287E10.jpeg Port Moody has closed Rocky Point boat launch

To help slow down the spread of COVID-19, the City of Port Moody is closing key civic parking lots and the Rocky Point Boat Launch, starting Thursday, April 9, 2020 late evening (around midnight) until further notice.

Parking lots at the following civic facilities will be closed:

• Rocky Point Park
  • Old Mill Boathouse
  • Port Moody Station Museum
  • Civic Centre campus (Recreation Complex and City Hall/Library)
  • Old Orchard Park
The Rocky Point Boat Launch, docks, and adjacent boat trailer parking lot will also be closed.

These closures are due to anticipated high demand for outdoor recreation at this time of year and the need to encourage people to practice physical distancing and avoid gathering in groups.

City parks and trails, as well as Rocky Point Pier, remain open at this time, but the City urges all users to do their part to help slow down the spread of COVID-19: walk through, do not stop or gather, and stay two metres apart from anyone who is not a member of your household. The City thanks Port Moody residents for their patience and understanding as we all work together to help keep everyone safe during this challenging time.

The City is continuously monitoring information about COVID-19 coming from public health authorities, and makes decisions about City services and facilities with the health and safety of its residents in mind. Visit portmoody.ca/covid19 to stay up-to-date on impacts to City services.

Last edited:
Brechin, Charlaine and Nanoose still open in my area of the woods. Fairwinds has no fuel and it not accepting transients.

My neighbour in Port Renfrew ran up the other morning to check on their place and ours. Pacific Gateway is closed as well as the Parks.

Attachments

• E17E9498-F64F-41BC-8381-3B9654A0E997.jpeg
    E17E9498-F64F-41BC-8381-3B9654A0E997.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 89
  • BED624AD-E62B-48F2-A8B9-6A903AF28EA4.jpeg
    BED624AD-E62B-48F2-A8B9-6A903AF28EA4.jpeg
    351.5 KB · Views: 83
Back