Boat Launches Open/Closed

The BC govt has jurisdiction on freshwater fishing (and hunting) only and the essential service aspect to fishing here applies to freshwater only - not saltwater fishing which is federal and the DFO/Coast Guard control. So looks like you can travel to do your essential 'freshwater' fishing by the Prov. and asked to do only essential (commercial?) travel for 'saltwater' fishing. Stupid, non sensical and confusing to say the least!

Just a head scratcher here.

No keeping fish, no launching boats. I give up. Talk about a guy who picked the wrong time to fall in love with fishing.

Congratulations to those who can financially afford marina usage. It’s sad that the freedom to enjoy the Pacific Ocean can be rented by the foot.

Sucks for now but this isn't forever hopefully things change come mid summer, regs aren't great for most places for retention until around that time anyhow. Worst case scenario this summer doesn't work out but there's all the seasons after summer 2020 on a positive note.

I'm hopeful a small few don't ruin it for the rest, if only household and local people use ramps the remaining open should be fine. If folks come from all over or have mixed groups showing up at the ramps that's when the remaining ramps could be shut down.

Not surprised. I have feeling this has to do more to people not complying, and also not enough resources too enforce the guidelines. Wrecks it for everyone complying. So shutting it down at source makes it easier.

On other news it is only temporary, and won't be forever.

Bonni henry in an interview the other day said she never said to shut down parks. I thought it was pretty ironic considering the province shut down parks.

Kind of strange they are shutting access down now towards the tail end where the new recent talks are geared towards easing up on restrictions, golf courses and such starting to open. Talks of schools opening and how that will look. Coast Guard should be looking at proactive ways to do the job in our new reality as they say and not just shutting down access.

Kind of strange they are shutting access down now towards the tail end where the new recent talks are geared towards easing up on restrictions, golf courses and such starting to open. Talks of schools opening and how that will look. Coast Guard should be looking at proactive ways to do the job in our new reality as they say and not just shutting down access.

It's probably because they don't have the resources to effectively monitor who is going with who on the water where golf courses can easily enforce rules. I think the gov gives us tid bits of hope time to time and 2 weeks by two weeks the time goes by giving the population hope and keeping people at bay somewhat. Quite a bit of time has already gone by and the baby step approach we have a very long road ahead of us until some normality to life is back.

The BC govt has jurisdiction on freshwater fishing (and hunting) only and the essential service aspect to fishing here applies to freshwater only - not saltwater fishing which is federal and the DFO/Coast Guard control. So looks like you can travel to do your essential 'freshwater' fishing by the Prov. and asked to do only essential (commercial?) travel for 'saltwater' fishing. Stupid, non sensical and confusing to say the least!
Does BC not have control over searun cutthroat and steelhead fisheries in saltwater?

BC generally owns the foreshore so the ramp down to low tide itself should be BC jurisdiction I would guess.

Coast Guard still has jurisdiction over all boating even on freshwater as far as I know so why not shut down those ramps too, to be fair to everyone?

If I were the residence of here and boaters id push back on this one.

http://www.sidney.ca/About_Sidney/Tulista_Boat_Launch_Information.htm

Tulista Boat Launch Information
Notice: The Tulista Boat Launch will be closed to recreational boaters as of Friday, May 1, 2020 at 3:00 pm.
In response to the Canadian Coast Guard’s recent appeal to boaters to avoid non-essential boating during the COVID-19 public health emergency, the Town of Sidney’s Tulista Boat Launch will be closed to recreational boaters as of Friday, May 1, 2020 at 3:00 pm until further notice.

The boat launch will be opened to commercial operators providing essential services, such as the transportation of goods, on an appointment basis. Commercial operators can email information@sidney.ca or call 250-655-6900 to set up an appointment.

I thinks it’s going a bit far to start dictating and closing the Ramps which can be a great outdoor social distancing activity for a household. I don’t think all of society should have to suffer because some choose to disobey the guide lines, I’d rather the few that disrespect be fined, the rcmp, Dfo, coast guards are all still working, they have had a pretty good presence on the water. I still think they should adjust there protocol as opposed to just trying to eliminate there need to be there.

If I were the residence of here and boaters id push back on this one.

http://www.sidney.ca/About_Sidney/Tulista_Boat_Launch_Information.htm

Tulista Boat Launch Information
Notice: The Tulista Boat Launch will be closed to recreational boaters as of Friday, May 1, 2020 at 3:00 pm.

In response to the Canadian Coast Guard’s recent appeal to boaters to avoid non-essential boating during the COVID-19 public health emergency, the Town of Sidney’s Tulista Boat Launch will be closed to recreational boaters as of Friday, May 1, 2020 at 3:00 pm until further notice.

The boat launch will be opened to commercial operators providing essential services, such as the transportation of goods, on an appointment basis. Commercial operators can email information@sidney.ca or call 250-655-6900 to set up an appointment.

Here is my letter that I sent to Sidney, I encourage others impacted to as well.

Hello,

As an annual boat launch pass holder I am beyond disappointed with this measure.

I myself am an essential worker, so luckily I still have a job. Nevertheless my income has been severely impacted by the pandemic, and the future of my industry and career are very much in doubt.

My three young children have been house bound for nearly 2 months. My kids can't play with their friends, go to school, play their sports, or even go to the park. The one thing they can do is go out as a family on the boat, following all of the public health measures. We also are able to fish for crab and pawns, halibut, and as of May 1st bottom fish such as ling cod. This goes a long way to preserving our sanity as well as helping to feed us as finances are much tighter than they used to be. Meanwhile, we are following all of the public health guidance and social distancing orders.

I understand there has been an appeal from the coast guard to close the launch, but there is no basis to this. Covid case loads are very low on the island, and despite their claims there has not been an increase in coast guard calls. Many of the lower mainland boat launches that had previously been closed during the pandemic are in fact reopening.

It is also important to realize BC has recognized fishing and hunting, and the subsistance benefits they afford us as essential activities. They are not to be restricted.

Meanwhile, those that are wealthy enough to afford moorage in one of the many nearby marinas are free to carry on with no restriction.

I implore you to reconsider this decision, at least at this time. Should the covid situation on the island deteriorate in the future, revisit the option at that time.

I await your response,
Sincerely,
Ryan ******

This entire covid think is complete over-reaction as compared with other health threats. All elective surgery canceled incase of covid patients, schools closed, boat ramps closed, provincial parks closed, yet Walmart and Costco lineups abound. The worst case scenario for Canada was 20,000 to 25,000 deaths, yet the death rate from lung cancer is 22,000 a year, but every store and gas station sells cigarettes. Covid might be here for a year or two, but you will still see cigarettes for sale. Just one example of how mismanaged this whole fiasco has become. I am typing this, looking out my living room window at my new boat sitting in the driveway, having just come back from the bank making a payment on my aluminum lawn ornament.

I think because Marinas are private businesses that can accommodate social distancing, it would be hard and costly for any level of government to close them down. Imagine the lawsuits if a boat was damaged or sunk because the owner was banned from having access?

This entire covid think is complete over-reaction as compared with other health threats. All elective surgery canceled incase of covid patients, schools closed, boat ramps closed, provincial parks closed, yet Walmart and Costco lineups abound. The worst case scenario for Canada was 20,000 to 25,000 deaths, yet the death rate from lung cancer is 22,000 a year, but every store and gas station sells cigarettes. Covid might be here for a year or two, but you will still see cigarettes for sale. Just one example of how mismanaged this whole fiasco has become. I am typing this, looking out my living room window at my new boat sitting in the driveway, having just come back from the bank making a payment on my aluminum lawn ornament.

Completely Agree. Bonnie Henry herself said that this virus doesn’t seem to pass well on outside surfaces and they’ve encountered little to NO cases transmitted through grocery stores, being out n about etc !! Yet the restrictions around that is still in place and boat launches are closed. Insane.

I did talk to Coastguard today and they do not have jurisdiction over boat ramps. That is harbour master or who runs the ramp and that in my case it is the town of Sidney who has made the decision to close Tulista boat ramp. For or against it might be good to contact the town of Sidney and let them know your thoughts

Here is my letter that I sent to Sidney, I encourage others impacted to as well.

Hello,

As an annual boat launch pass holder I am beyond disappointed with this measure.

I myself am an essential worker, so luckily I still have a job. Nevertheless my income has been severely impacted by the pandemic, and the future of my industry and career are very much in doubt.

My three young children have been house bound for nearly 2 months. My kids can't play with their friends, go to school, play their sports, or even go to the park. The one thing they can do is go out as a family on the boat, following all of the public health measures. We also are able to fish for crab and pawns, halibut, and as of May 1st bottom fish such as ling cod. This goes a long way to preserving our sanity as well as helping to feed us as finances are much tighter than they used to be. Meanwhile, we are following all of the public health guidance and social distancing orders.

I understand there has been an appeal from the coast guard to close the launch, but there is no basis to this. Covid case loads are very low on the island, and despite their claims there has not been an increase in coast guard calls. Many of the lower mainland boat launches that had previously been closed during the pandemic are in fact reopening.

It is also important to realize BC has recognized fishing and hunting, and the subsistance benefits they afford us as essential activities. They are not to be restricted.

Meanwhile, those that are wealthy enough to afford moorage in one of the many nearby marinas are free to carry on with no restriction.

I implore you to reconsider this decision, at least at this time. Should the covid situation on the island deteriorate in the future, revisit the option at that time.

I await your response,
Sincerely,
Ryan ******

Great Letter Ryan.
I completely agree.
For my 2 kids and I, getting out in the boat has been a great family recreation to keep us sane.
We harvested 2 halibut on a beautiful day together one day and harvested Crab and Oysters on another occasion.
Sustainable food and a couple of days of fresh air with no phones/ipads and most importantly time together with our minds off the current situation.
A quick launch with no contact with anyone and the incoming tide sanitizing our footsteps on the beach we collected oysters.

I pay my taxes and purchased my licenses. I am putting no one at risk.

Covid or no Covid our Government always seems to overlook our Canadian Heritage and the health benefits to being outdoors. Bush or water.
They would rather we sat at home on our devices and just sent our tax dollars for them to mismanage.
Wait for the strain on our health system after all this when people all have weight and mental health issues.

I don't often launch in Sidney except for a couple of days in the summer... but I will send an email to Sidney Engineering also to support.

Last edited:

Off topic, but..
We are all driven by our personal interests.
My advice is obey the rules and suck it up!!!
"this is not forever, just for now"

protest 2.jpg

Back