boat insurance

nedarb2

if your boat is insured for "inside waters" does that imply only to the east coast of the island/georgia straight, or does that refer to a certain distance offshore?
Thanks

My insurance specifically states that I'm insured for offshore waters and includes a map of where these waters extend to.
Dave

I'm sure you'll find after talking to your Insurance Company that that policy would be for the Georgia Strait only.

my said that I was covered to cape beale to uculet read your policy it should say it somewhere in the small print of the hundred pages

That's correct-if your policy doesn't state off-shore waters-you aren't covered.When I first got my policy-it stated where I was covered and it didn't cover me for off-shore wcvi even though I was payng a big premium. I went back to the broker and refused the policy-he asked me where I fished and in a week I had the waters I wanted to fish specified-at no extra charge

Each policy can be and is different! I suggest you read them “carefully”! With my current policy, I am insured up to 75 miles offshore anywhere in U.S., Canada, and Mexico, with tow coverage included.

Back in 1999, when I got my “old” policy through “ACE” it was 25 miles and limited to Strait of Juan de Fuca, no farther north than the 50th parallel. I had to get a rider to extend it to WCVI and farther north. They still limited 25 miles offshore and flat told me it was due to their losses and their loss ratio on the WCVI.

Hey guys I currently have my boat insured through my house insurance but they did not ask anything about where I was planning to fish. Should this concern me and should I look into getting a diff policy through someone else? I am hoping no one recommends ICBC since I personally think they are the worst or the worst.

cheers,

striper1.jpg

It would concern me.Ask them exactly where your coverage applies to.Usually(not always)if you don't ask for offshore coverage you don't get it.I'm assuming that you're still fishing Bamfield/Barclay Sound.Most basic policies cover you to a line between Cape Beale and Amphitrite Point.One policy we looked at covered you to about a mile outside of this line which was nowhere near adequate for me.I'm now covered up to about 40 miles(maybe more) offshore which I'll never even come close to approching.
Dave

Be very, very careful to get a map from your insurer which specifies the exact area you are allowed to operate within. Most do not cover offshore operations beyond 25 miles, and often the fleet can be just over that line. Don't find out the hard way. It is not hard to find the exact location of your mishap with gps units in almost every boat.

Searun

th_067.jpg

I would watch where or how far you venture offshore 99% of the TC certificates held by people on here will not allow you to be more than 25 miles offshore, so your insurance may be invalid if there is an accident, as you are not certified to be that far out. Inside waters maybe East Coast VI check your policy it may be that it is Sheltered Waters which is no more than 1 NM offshore (there are some other clauses in this as well which you can look up)

I read my policy, and it defines my coverage as "coastal waters". It does not have a definition of what coastal waters are. Does anyone know what this definition would be?

Coastal waters Class 2 is within 25 NM of shore, which it would most likely be, though it should specify or you should get it so, its too bad that insurance do not co-ordinate it alittle better to what TC defines as Sheltered waters, Near Coastal Class 1, Near Coastal Class 2.

quote:Originally posted by spring fever

That's correct-if your policy doesn't state off-shore waters-you aren't covered. When I first got my policy-it stated where I was covered and it didn't cover me for off-shore wcvi even though I was paying a big premium. I went back to the broker and refused the policy-he asked me where I fished and in a week I had the waters I wanted to fish specified-at no extra charge
That is a very good point you brought up! :)

Do not just take the broker/agent's word for it... they are a great starting point, but remember they are usually paid commissions from the premiums "you" paid. The higher the premium, the more commission they earn.

You really do need to get or see everything in writing when it comes to insurance! Get the policies out and start reading and based on these posts, some might want to start shopping around?

I have had, USAA, ACE, and now Progressive. The policy will specifically state what and where your are covered! Here is exactly what mine states:
quote: PART VIII- GENERAL PROVISIONS
POLICY PERIOD AND TERRITORY
This policy applies only to accidents and losses occurring during the policy period shown on the declarations page and which occur within:
1. a state, territory, or possession of the United States of America, or a province or territory of Canada, including their in-land lakes, rivers, and navigable waterways;
2. the Great Lakes; or
3. ocean waters 75 nautical miles or less from the coast of either the United States or Canada, but not including the territory or territorial waters of any country other than the United States or Canada.

A coastal navigation limit applies to this policy. Watercraft with a coastal navigation limit of 75 nautical miles are not covered for losses that occur more than 75 nautical miles from the coast of the United States or Canada or for losses that occur in any territory or territorial waters of any country other than the United States or Canada. A coastal navigation limit of 125 nautical miles extends coverage from 75 nautical miles to 125 nautical miles from the coast of the United States or Canada, and includes the territory and territorial waters of the Commonwealth of Bahamas that extend no further north than 27 degrees 30 minutes north latitude (27° 30' N); no further east than 75 degrees 30 minutes west longitude (750 30' W); and no further south than 24 degrees north latitude (240 N). Losses that occur in territories and territorial waters of any other country are not covered.

INSURING AGREEMENT - MEXICO COVERAGE
In addition to the territory specified in Part VIII - General Provisions, if you pay the premium for Collision Coverage and Comprehensive Coverage, coverage under this Part IV shall apply to any loss meeting the requirements for coverage under this Part IV that occurs within any state, territory, or possession of Mexico, including ocean waters within 75 nauti¬cal miles of its coast. Payment for any loss covered under this Part IV that occurs in Mexi¬co will be made in the United States. If a covered watercraft must be repaired in Mexico in order to be returned to the United States, we will pay only for those repairs that must be performed in Mexico in order to return the covered watercraft to the United States and we will not pay more than the reasonable cost for such repairs usually charged at the nearest port of call in the United States where the repairs could have been made.

Just got home from my local Insurance Centers of Vancouver Island office. I had to ask about insurance after reading this topic. Turns out I can buy insurance for all of Trade 1 waters which is all of BC's coast line including off shore. She showed me a map, must have shown 40 or so miles of off shore. Could get hooked up for as low as $300 for pleasure use.

She warned me about other insurance policies that other companies offer that are for certain areas. If at any time you leave the certain area and then return and get into a problem you are not covered. As you had perviouly voided your insurance by leaving that area. That would realy suck IF they could prove it.

My limit is 40 miles pffshore as well and i don't want to go any further - even for Tuna

The guys down south on the east coast routinely run 80 to 100 miles offshore to get into the gulf stream. I've had more than a few guys on my boat who talked about doing this in 24 footers. Usually Gradys with lots of spare fuel taken in jugs. I think they are nuts but whatever.

Back