Boat headlights

zurk

So i had a larson 12V spotlight on my boat which ended up corroding. Replaced that and $600 later i was happy for 3 years and then it too corroded. These were the golight series.
Thinking of going the really cheap route and just buying 6 inch spot/flood LED combos for $70 and sticking them on high like a pair of oversized headlights. if they die its cheaper to spend the $70 once a year than $600 every 3 years. i dont move the spot beam around that often anyway. i just use it for running and illuminating the front of the boat at night.
any downsides ?
i could flip em vertically and fill the existing space of 8 inches with the pair (they are 3.3 inches high).
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07QM4K4MG/ref=pe_3034960_233709270_TE_item
Zmoon Led Light Bar, 2Pcs Off Road Lights 240W 24000lm with Led Wring Harness(10ft /2 Lead), Waterproof Led Spot&Flood Combo Beam Light Bar for SUV/ATV/Jeep/Boat

kRKxGgWZhKg2HWGxAV1WSjOhROLUIr0Umc2_w87ZFET6aE1huCciBgoryKCN7cUTwqa7xMpUV_UevPKD0uM8nucaXCL-JuFnf63Yruz6Ze8CEV1t1uuGfPJUgnclTeRHAJPQsFkhh2vH25b0hJFY9AsCX72GZQdXPuAuZoGMKHWkPFoUDkmbyYS_6LFV1ARk4-zcAf72mILr_udE5C0LnaMPUAsqAyevk89shzsOCu9xCRGna__rLUI8LhTf6X7c_dHZw-Ik5SbYbv236sPYWmznzqWF5v143fcLLs87Q22APtRVHaCVKi1rZbmngVBKgg_m8GbtpqOYaStfKHlCjqZFmbzroa9c0uqJVBbGMRd7_3-3XnPYmqyRbZV4OqFLJQ_7wi21fEfcCDjvBKLpwPFal1TS-6UUn86opeoNNYXlsj63cos2fWoB8YKTP7U_9ueuyfOlarBiAaVlieCvVmZQ2EzyxfGEOaOmk0UIoW7sy9MSEku2GEX5goU9D8G-rIifqBlQxeiBmpdZkfyC81bRbnd771KyKuRrbsiQ6PUxbCopogOS8wVZA5NlpRQ_9um-NFpl651sKhJROBhDudOH9kmGX3FSc1e3VapoWjKSoAjLuJQ2wprElnGt0fyGIwmb9EXVLTNleJEBbYMilUUn3KyqLFkP1CPi3EVU_vYe1plMPSEFqNGOuykupQ=w1158-h869-no

This is what I installed;
IP rated 68 - cost around $200
The 8 small LEDs on each end have a wide beam and the center 24 have a narrow light beam. It lights up in front of the boat very well, not able to scan side to side which would be an issue in an emergency.

Lights are not something that most people use much. What I did is installed those quick release Scotty rod holders bar clamp mounts on both port and starboard side handrail on the bow of my boat (which as a bonus can be used as actual rod holders for an extra rod during hali fishing) and then mounted two lights that have Scotty rod holder bases and click in there super fast when i need them, and i installed a downrigger plug on the front of the boat and they plug into that. when they are not in use (99% of the time) i stash them under my seat in the cabin where they stay corrosion free. I then wired a switch to my dash for the scotty plug. very simple and effective. Will last the life of the boat. and this puts the lights as far forward as possible. if you want to drive with them you don't want them on your roof they'll just blind you by lighting up your whole bow deck and reflecting into the cabin.

IP67 means the unit can be dropped into a body of water up to a meter deep for half an hour, while IP68 guarantees protection in water up to 1.5m deep for the same period of time. Both are resistant to dust.

Back