Boat designs at boat show

juandesooka

Checked out vic boat show on Sunday.

Interesting assortment of boats, some beyond the usual.

C-Dory: I really like the idea of this fuel efficiency trend, designing boats to be pushed by smaller motors. But I'm unconvinced of how these boats would handle in real seas. The people who like them, love them it seems, but I've heard too many people that have been out there and seen it all describe these as "scary boats".

Arima: like above, though less of a flat bottom. Nice fuel efficient design, excellent fishing platform. Like c-dory, I like that these are designed rough and ready for fishing...no shiny chrome or other fancy features that will just get wrecked anyway.

TomCat: I remain intrigued about power cats...good fuel efficiency, great platform for fishing, excellent into seas, but a question about following seas maybe. But a problem is price....they ain't cheap.

Ranger Tugs: unusual design, saw the 21', like a miniaturized version of a trawler is the goal I guess. Not sure about the 6' beam though. Still, I do like the idea. Won't get you there as fast, but very fuel efficient diesel motor. Probably good use of space in the bigger models. Guy in Sooke I know just bought a 25', looking forward to having a look at it.

In the end? I think my wish boat still remains the classic Northwest aluminum pilot house style. Locally made for local waters. Takes a beating and fishing abuse. Not fancy, more or less a working boat. Lighter than fibreglass, though that means harder ride I know.

Anyways, interesting to get on some different boats and check out what I'll get once Lotto 6/49 pays out.

good call nothing wrong with a north west at all great work boat and will last forever.

C-Dory in Real Seas:

I have a hard time understanding the "scary" comment.

We cruised much of BC and SE Alaska in our 1991 C-Dory 22, including WCVI, and all the way up to Glacier Bay. With a relatively rounded bow and almost no transom deadrise, she was pretty good at rattling teeth in a short chop - her worst characteristic. We would slow to 14-15 knots to mush through the chop more comfortably.

But when we got her out in really big seas she was fabulous, as a dory hull should be. We got stuck once for more than an hour in 20-30 footers (big swells, fairly close together, with 20-knot wind waves on top) on the west coast of Chichagof Island, about 40 miles north of Sitka. Scared the heck out of us, as we were just off a rocky lee shore, but the C-Dory was great. Never took any green water over the bow. With a little working of the throttle, we just climbed up and slid back down those huge waves at about 10 knots.

After we reached a safe anchorage we talked with some commercial fishermen who had been out there in 38 and 54-foot boats. They thought the biggest waves might have been 35 feet, and did not enjoy it at all.

Richard Cook
New Moon (Bounty 257)
"Cruising in a Big Way"

quote:Originally posted by NewMoon

C-Dory in Real Seas:
I have a hard time understanding the "scary" comment.

Hi NewMoon

From a quick web search, here's one example of a negative C-Dory report:
http://www.groupsrv.com/hobby/about147384.html

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this is so, as I have no experience with them personally. But that's the reports you hear.

Those who like them, love them, so that's a positive in contrast...it's not like the internet is full of first hand reports of them capsizing.

Hi Juan,

I read that thread - quite a mix of thoughts, some fact based, some not. Some of the comments ("sheltered water boat") were directed at the CD 16, admittedly a very small boat.

One person said the CD was best for a light chop, but everyone I know finds theirs to be least pleasant in a short (one or two foot) chop. Maybe he meant a really small chop.

Another one mentioned owning the very old totally flat bottom model, saying how dangerous a CD might be sliding down a wave. CD's built within the last 20+ years have a slight deadrise and a small keel. Ours handled perfectly even in those really big waves, and also in some scary super-vertical (wind against tidal current) 8-10 footers.

Another worried about the balsa cored hull. As long as you use the right techniques when you drill or cut a hole in it, the balsa is no problem, and it's super light and strong.

Our CD 22 Cruiser served us very well, much of the time in some really challenging waters. We now have a heavy deep-v Bounty 26 footer, much like a Sea Sport. It has its advantages, like the ability to crush right through a short chop without slowing down, and more creature comforts than the relatively spartan CD 22.

But I guarantee you I would not have wanted to be in our heavy 26 in those huge waves - we'd probably have stuffed the bow into the bottom of a trough, which was not going to happen with the CD - it's a cork.

My wife and I would both say the CD had its advantaqes too, not the least of which is a very clever and effective cabin layout for a small cruiser. A CD 22 is simple, well-made, sturdy, and seaworthy as all get out, most especially in tougher waters. There are bunches of CD 22's and 25's in SE and South Central Alaska, not good places for a non-seaworthy boat.

Richard Cook
New Moon (Bounty 257)
"Cruising in a Big Way"

Was Northwest Aluminum craft at the boat show this year? It was the first year in a number if years that I didn't go. Those boats are hardcore fishing platforms.

Highliner

www.salmonboats.ca

Thanks New Moon...does sound interesting. Maybe will try to hitch a ride in one some day.

Highliner: no, NW aluminum wasn't at the Victoria show, I think their boat show demo is on guide row at the Port Renfrew Marina. ;) Hardcore fishing machines indeed....though currently out of my snack bracket. Fun to dream...

Back