Boat collision off Sooke?

sammyslabber

I heard of a reported collision between two sporty boats off Sooke; a buddy informed me today his friend in the rammed boat was in hospital, the boat was literally cut in half. Seems you guys who like to run fast in fog are oblivious too danger! :mad:

Nope, u don't. Not the first time its happened.

This involved a sub trade of mine..... The story goes the boat pictured above was not seen due to the sun not the fog. Low sun early morning - these things happen. He and his partner were experienced and not yahoo's by any stretch. The one partner who was not ejected was pretty beat up and walking with a good limp yesterday which is a good thing as the ejected member is an somewhat older gent. I really feel for these guys and just happy everyone is ok relatively speaking. For what its worth, looks to me the boat above was not the stand on craft but I was not there. Keep your head on a swivel out there.

That boat is big how did he miss that!? Hard to say which way it was hit from. I see tons of guys running with there trimtabs all fuked and im sure cant see ****. Also way to many idoits running way to close to boats slow trolling on there kickers. No time to move. One charter outta Pedder is going to get a tray of rotten anchoives frisbeed at him next time he buzzes me. Theres idiots but this guy...

Tough to say for sure but it looks like a t bone to me. Regardless, if the give way boat didn't alter course, then the stand on I think has to make a move, but if visibility was an issue, geez, what crappy thing to happen. Hope they both had insurance.

I don't know about you guys but if I can't see what's in front of me, I slow down. That looks like a pretty high speed impact. Hope everyone is ok and they have insurance.

Reminds me of the time when,i got rammed by a American boat. We were power mooching the riptide off Helens point, Active pass,when I noticed a yankee in a bigger boat then ours drifting out of control, straight at us! I had just enough time to turn our boat and face them head on. They smacked into us,with the point of our bow punching a huge hole into the side of their boat above the water line. Lol. A few harsh words were exchanged as they motored away from us. A couple of weeks later the R.C.M.P. showed up to our door steps and took us in for an interrogation,they put me,my brother and Dad in separate rooms to see if our stories to what had happened were the same. Guess the yankee said we hit him! Lol, maybe for insurance purposes. The cops believed our version of events and that was that.So like the previous poster says,Heads up out there boys!!!!

Reminds me of the time when,i got rammed by a American boat. We were power mooching the riptide off Helens point, Active pass,when I noticed a yankee in a bigger boat then ours drifting out of control, straight at us! I had just enough time to turn our boat and face them head on. They smacked into us,with the point of our bow punching a huge hole into the side of their boat above the water line. Lol. A few harsh words were exchanged as they motored away from us. A couple of weeks later the R.C.M.P. showed up to our door steps and took us in for an interrogation,they put me,my brother and Dad in separate rooms to see if our stories to what had happened were the same. Guess the yankee said we hit him! Lol, maybe for insurance purposes. The cops believed our version of events and that was that.So like the previous poster says,Heads up out there boys!!!!

And illustrates the point that just because the side of a boat is damaged, doesn't mean that the other boat was at fault. They drifted into you.

While taking one of the Transport Canada courses for operating a commercial vessel an instructor put all the possible right of way scenarios into one simple phrase that has stuck with me. If you see red...it means stop...you are the boat that has to give way. Simple, makes sense and easy to remember.

Is the boat in the photo a Sea West?

I don't know about you guys but if I can't see what's in front of me, I slow down. That looks like a pretty high speed impact. Hope everyone is ok and they have insurance.

When my Dad taught me to drive a car, he told me what should be common sense, if you can't see what's in front of you, you "stop". To do otherwise is foolhardy and invites disaster. In fog, where you can't see far, that means real slow. In some fog, where you can't see at all (and don't have radar), that means you stay home. The risks aren't worth it.

Saw the two boats in the yard of the Sooke RMCP station. looks like an older grady white (not much damage) and a Sea West that is very damaged with both sides of the hull punched through. Both boats are about 20-24 ft long. Nasty stuff, hope no one was hurt. Gotta be careful out there especially in the fog.

collision regs state --- safe speed is always to supersede everything else
lets see whether you are traveling in fog or you have the early morning sun to contend with you still
motor about in a courteous professional manner
Not sure what the actual circumstances were but if that t-boned boat was trolling -- the other boat was the
give way vessel -- and you do not have to be an accredited mariner to figure that out

Looking at that boat being pulled out on to a trailer. How did it not sink? How did they get it to dock?

Hope those injured make a full recovery. Proper lookout and Safe speed for the conditions, rules 5 and 6 of ColRegs, so basic but sadly often ignored on the water. If impact had of been further forward on that boat, might have been a more tragic story.

Well there is a appropriate user name if I have ever seen one...

the river or lake can be quite huge. even though speed boats goes too fast imo, its quite hard to ram into another boat.

but anyway, slow down u guys!!!

Are you kidding me, trevorhoang?

Quote :- "it's quite hard to ram into another boat"

Go on YouTube and look at all the videos on boat collisions........they make it as easy as falling off a log........:p

Back