Boat Charcoal Grill?????

Discussion in 'General Open Forum' started by Tinny, May 15, 2020.

1. Tinny

Tinny Active Member

I would like to purchase a charcoal grill for the boat that I can affix to one of the gunnel rod rod holders. I see an option for the round grill from Magma but wondering if anyone has some other recommendations or experiences that they would like to share. Thanks in advance....

2. dmurph

dmurph Well-Known Member

I wonder if it would have trouble staying lit and hot in with the wind and breezes

3. ericl

ericl Well-Known Member

When it comes to Charcoal, there are very few choices. I have had the Magma; switched to gas for convenience.

4. Aquaholic

Aquaholic Well-Known Member

I had the charcoal, used the briquets that have fuel in them, kept them in a sealed plastic bucket. Worked wonderfully well, the flavour was as you would expect from charcoal. Didn't need a propane tank or hose. It was the Sea BQ I think. Had the bracket for a railing but they always shift a bit. I would drill a hole and put a small diameter bolt through it if I had it again. Cannot beat the flavour, just let the fuel burn off though before adding your food to the grill.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  5. triplenickel

triplenickel Well-Known Member

If you already have a gas one and are mostly interested in searing/high heat and there's room try one of these under the grill on top of some foil (ash bin) which sits on top of the gas burner. I do it all the time at home for steaks. $25 or so for a stainless one.

[​IMG]

6. Tinny

Tinny Active Member

Yeah, I'm specifically after charcoal for the flavour. More work and cleaning but if I'm BBQ-ing on the boat will have the time. I see Magma has a 15" and 17" round grill that can be mounted on a swivel pole that inserts into a gunnel rod holder. Looks pretty good - just wondering if someone has experience / feedback on them.

Aquaholic likes this.
  7. Huyfishin

Huyfishin Member

Not sure how big your boat is but a Big green egg on a boat would be SWEET! I sear my steaks right on the coals sometimes. SOO DELICIOUS!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Tinny

Tinny Active Member

Sweet. Putting that on the list for when my wife kicks me out of the house and I go to live full time on the boat. Hopefully one day soon

Addios, RiverBoy, wildmanyeah and 3 others like this.
  9. Huyfishin

Huyfishin Member

I forget to mention, the egg doesnt get effected by wind.

Tinny likes this.
  10. Sotally Tober

Sotally Tober Well-Known Member

Big Green Eggs are awesome but they are heavy...not cheap either.

11. Huyfishin

Huyfishin Member

What i like about the big green egg is that it lasts an entire lifetime. you can buy one brand new for 1500 but the ones made 10 years ago is identical. So if you could snag one used for a good price then you'll be laughing since they don't depreciate much. You're able to buy one used for 800 and use it for a few years to sell it again for 800.

12. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

Not for my boat obviously as it's 400 lbs but I've had a Primo XL Oval for 10 years now and like you say it's a lifer. I can run 225 for 20 hours on one load.