Boat advice?

SaintSix

im in the market for a new boat. Fishing the Alberni inlet and trips out offshore on the good days. Kinda thinking between the Campion 542 or 185 or 206 double eagle. For power I know the campion is recommended to go with a 150. But what about the double eagles? Most threads I could find on them are the 16ft and 17ft models. Also thoughts on a kicker?

www.searchcraigslist.org is where I look for Used Arimas and just at the moment there are a few nice ones I imported mine from Oregon and ended up with a boat I am extremely happy with for a small amount of money. They are solid seaworthy boats with lots of fishing room

Last edited:
I’ve read about them. Very stable at rest but pound in any chop. I’m looking for something to cut through the waves a bit better at a decent cruise.

I have a 185 with a 115 Yamaha on it. It's adequate power, and has a prop on that helps it get up on plane a bit quicker. I've been told the pitch on my spare prop will increase my speed but will try that out this winter. It's a very seaworthy & heavy boat. Perfect for what you're looking at doing. When it comes time to repower, I'd look at the 140 Suzuki or else stick with the 115. Trim tabs are on the wishlist as well as adding a 2nd battery so by sticking with a 115, it'll keep my weight down that I'll add with a second battery. It has an 8hp kicker which is also adequate. Hard thing is finding one on the market and expect to pay close to 30K-35K for a used one. Definitely see a lot more 542 on the market. The 185 isn't the best to fish out of in my opinion, but it's a good family fishing boat.

I’ve read about them. Very stable at rest but pound in any chop. I’m looking for something to cut through the waves a bit better at a decent cruise.
You are quite right did a fair amount of pounding off Sooke yesterday, the Deep V of the double eagle might is better for that but because I am pretty heavy I find double eagle’s tip alot when I go to the stern corners

Seeing as I have 2 sons with the boats your looking at I guess I'll chime in.The DE is the better boat build and ride wise but the Campion has a self bailing deck,a big plus..My oldest son has the 185DE with a 150 Yamaha and my youngest has the 542 Campion with a 140 Suzuki,both 2006 I think.The 150 Yamaha blows away the 140 Suzuki for speed and is quieter. As "N2013" said a 115 is adequate but if you plan on any heavy loads I'd go bigger and it's easier on the motors when they don't have to work as hard.I owned a 206 DE and found it too small in the back,a podded 185 would be better.You have to consider that most of the DE's you look at will be older because of slow production ,so there may be rotted transom or stringers or a leaky fuel tank to deal with if it hasn't been kept inside. Yamaha stopped production of the 8H.P high thrust a few years ago,so the 9.9 is your only option if you want the best kicker.

If you can find a 206 DE that you like and can afford (their pricey),don't go for less than 200HP.Mine had a 225 Yamaha which was fine,but a friend bought one with a 150 Yamaha and he had to change it out for the new 200 Yamaha after a few years.

Personally if I bought a 206 de my power would be a 200 if I bought the 185 de power would be 150

Ide be cafeful selecting a yamaha before 2007 there were some problems with exhaust tube corrosion and sticking poppet valve causing overheat. I looked at one took it to service for a look over and it was overheating at idle. There are people who dont do the maintenance.

As such you can have a rotten transom or stringers because they dont reseal or dry things out. Check for proper sealing on the thruhulls in splashwell and bring a hammer with some tape on the end and give it a few taps.

Thanks, I was thinking the 150 for a 185 and 200 for the 206. I’m mostly looking at new or lightly used. Also reassured my want for a Yamaha. My last one did treat me well. I’ve also considered having a 18-20ft center console built by lifetimer. I don’t know much about Fiberglass and the idea that they can rot worries me. But then I think of the ride quality and not sure I’d be happy with the aluminium vs a glass boat. This is what keeps me up at night lol trying to find the perfect boat for me.

You guys with 3 boats need to talk to my girlfriend, apparently you can be more convincing than me
My son sure lucked out with a beautiful hard working Swedish wife and I think he has at least six things that float.
I did do too badly I have one for salt and one for fresh and mine has put up with me for fifty years

If it floats and catches fish it's a good boat. The ability to continue floating when thing go sideways is the issue. Saw a guy in a 12' tin in front of China Creek one afternoon bailing more than fishing. Offered him a tow back in and he looked at me like I was an idiot. Rock on brother!

Thanks, I was thinking the 150 for a 185 and 200 for the 206. I’m mostly looking at new or lightly used. Also reassured my want for a Yamaha. My last one did treat me well. I’ve also considered having a 18-20ft center console built by lifetimer. I don’t know much about Fiberglass and the idea that they can rot worries me. But then I think of the ride quality and not sure I’d be happy with the aluminium vs a glass boat. This is what keeps me up at night lol trying to find the perfect boat for me.
Hi sounds like you want to spend a little money if this would fit in my garage and I had lots $ to spare This would be my choice https://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/Arima-Sea-Legend-22-Boat_34766276.lite

Back