Boat accident separation point

Yea bubble wrap!

Anyone invited to my boat and a fishing trip is shown how to run the boat. Mainly because I like to fish instead of running the boat all the time!

For Big Guy, sorry you have that attitude however I have lost friends and others that I did not know out on the Straits. Changes a guy's way of thinking concerning personal protection gear.

Yes I did fall out of a boat once. No, I did not have a PFD on. At the dock, water was about 4 ft. deep. By the time I walked up the ramp hypothermia had set in and I could not grasp anything with my hands and I was shaking all over. Lucky I had a change of clothes in the truck and towels. I could not unlock the truck door, a friend had to pull the keys out of my pocket, unlock the door and help me with the clothing change.

Falling out of a boat happens so fast that you do not have time to think, much less grab a floatation device. 38 degree water is killer.

Last edited:
Yea bubble wrap!

Anyone invited to my boat and a fishing trip is shown how to run the boat. Mainly because I like to fish instead of running the boat all the time!

For Big Guy, sorry you have that attitude however I have lost friends and others that I did not know out on the Straits. Changes a guy's way of thinking concerning personal protection gear.

Yes I did fall out of a boat once. No, I did not have a PFD on. At the dock, water was about 4 ft. deep. By the time I walked up the ramp hypothermia had set in and I could not grasp anything with my hands and I was shaking all over. Lucky I had a change of clothes in the truck and towels. I could not unlock the truck door, a friend had to pull the keys out of my pocket, unlock the door and help me with the clothing change.

Falling out of a boat happens so fast that you do not have time to think, much less grab a floatation device. 38 degree water is killer.
I totally agree. Hypothermia is a killer. A life jacket will keep you afloat but it will do little to prevent hypothermia. Unless you are wearing a full floatation survival suit a life jacket will only increase your odds at survivability for a short period of time in our fridgid ocean waters. Do we next legislate the requirement for everyone to wear full survival suits with a personal locator beacon on the water at all times. For your chances at survivability to increase dramatically in a man overboard situation with a delayed rescue that is what is really required for the ocean. Is everyone really suggesting that is the road we want to go down.

As I said earlier where does it end. I got a ticket for driving my vehicle for absolutely no reason last week other than I did not have my rear lights on during the daytime. My front running lights/headlights were on, but my rear lights don't automatically go on unless you turn on your night lights. Seriously, I mean if it was foggy or pouring out I turn my lights on during the daytime, but why do you need the rears on during the day. Guess what $85 ticket. I still haven't decided whether I'm going to fight the ticket.

Where does this insanity end?

Learn how to operate a boat safely and have all the safety equipment you think it is wise to carry. In the end it's your responsibility to ensure your own and your passengers safety. Exercise good judgment and hopefully you will never need your safety equipment. You can't rely on anyone else to save your butt on the water, so don't let yourself get into situations where you do. I have lost friends as well, and he was wearing a survival suit.

I believe this boat is up road from us and I have seen at ramp before. That boat I believe and if you see new report pic looks like it has a secondary custom makeshift throttle lever located midship drivers side. This isn't the first time I have seen a simple lever used in back for trolling instead of buying the right one with killswitch.

I wasn't there so not knocking them accidents happen.

If your grabbing a trap its in the way since it looks like is sticks up vertical not horizontal. Where that throttle is located I totally see how that happened.

That is so lucky. Many times especially this time of year out of the bay there can be no one around.

Last edited:
Back