Black Market Salmon

That story is at least 6-7 years old. I’ll bet nkthing has changed. I’ve said for a long time the reason sockeye were thee first to tank was because they have the highest values. The rest of DFO’s excuses for poor returns is all smoke and mirrors. They don’t have the balls to deal with this and do what is right and fair for all Canadians and local wildlife.

Most people think of native poachers as the guys selling fish out of a garbage bag at the side of the road. The untold stories are the guys that go out net fish, put them on ice, professional process them and get them into big markets around North America.

And the circle of doom continues. We are soo screwed. I have worked with many native people and still have a few as friends. It is unfortunate that a small percentage of a race can do such damage. It always seems to be the case with humans......the minority screws it up for the majority. So much greed.....and the fish lose.

Last year on the Fraser sockeye it was unbelievable. The number of FN seine boats that left the grounds full was staggering. Not a few fish but 10’s of thousands. All under the guise of food Fish. We were tied up at the unloading dock in Vancouver and the boat behind us sat and dressed sockeye for two days. That’s 4 people dressing most of the day. Then at night a 5 ton truck pulled up and totes were swung off and gone. I got into it with the owner and skipper, called the hotline and sweet FA was done. This entire fiasco is about reconciliation and the reallocation of the resource.

Of course it all is. Totally sucks....just taking until its all gone. It would be nice if we could all work together to make things better again...

How many sturgeon guides/anglers will still be using Chinook and sockeye parts over the next 3 from net caught fisheries?

Well, here's an opportunity for a little citizen science experiment. On any given day there are hundreds of boats running up/down the Fraser....what if between now and July 14, a well organized network of vessel operators started documenting evidence?? (photo, video, date stamp, log book entry with specific details on location, time, observation). Then take that documentation to an investigative reporter - perhaps a boat trip so they too can witness the illegal poaching.

No one involved could pass the red face test if indeed there was illegal fishing taking place. If DFO doesn't want to enforce a problem, perhaps the court of public opinion can hit the few bad actors that give legitimate FN's FSC fishing a bad name. "Shame the johns"

The biggest thing will be getting the sturgeon community involved. They are the eyes of the river now, on any given day you have 30+ boats from the mouth of the Vedder up to the Canyon.

Ok ...... Poney up your cash.

Who want to make a Bet that some FNs will be Netting the Fraser before July 14th....?

And face ZERO consequences for there actions.....like always.
When Fish cops press charges if they do at all it gets dropped. Pathetic.

And you wonder why there is Racism......One Law for All!

On the bets being placed ...... by the way ........i bet some do....... Lets go with 100 to 1 odds.

Way to go DFO......you have made the division even worse.

Ok ...... Poney up your cash.

Who want to make a Bet that some FNs will be Netting the Fraser before July 14th....?

And face ZERO consequences for there actions.....like always.
When Fish cops press charges if they do at all it gets dropped. Pathetic.

And you wonder why there is Racism......One Law for All!

On the bets being placed ...... by the way ........i bet some do....... Lets go with 100 to 1 odds.

Way to go DFO......you have made the division even worse.

pril 21
week 16 Chinook Stl'atl'imc /
Ts'kw'aylaxw Fraser R - Texas Creek to Kelly Creek 7
(daylight only) Monday April 15 05:00 Sunday April 21 22:00*
(extends into next week) Gill net, Dip net, Angling with Rod & Reel XFSC 78 2019 / XFSC 79 2019
April 21
week 16 Chinook Xaxli'p East side of Fraser R - Lillooet between 3 mile & 14 mile 7
(daylight only) Monday April 15 05:00 Sunday April 21 22:00*
(extends into next week) Gill net, Dip net, Angling with Rod & Reel XFSC 80 2019

Wouldn't get too excited, those fisheries were approved some time ago....the trick is if DFO approves new fisheries after April 21. I have a sneaking suspicion there will be daily patrols of the river looking for illegal nets, and a concerted effort to document them for the media. If there are no consequences in the courts, then perhaps the poachers will be shamed in the court of public opinion.

I 100 % support the effort to bring this garbage to the forefront.
They already know its going on, been going on for decades, nothing as ever been done.DFO close there eyes when it comes to illegal nets on the fraser,everybody that as spend time fishing the fraser from the lower end to the canyon below hells gates as seen this over and over. They seize illegal nets once here and there just to make it like there doing a good job , but none of them ever get charge, and if they do the charge get dropped.Part of the problem to declining fish stocks on the fraser

They already know its going on, been going on for decades, nothing as ever been done.DFO close there eyes when it comes to illegal nets on the fraser,everybody that as spend time fishing the fraser from the lower end to the canyon below hells gates as seen this over and over. They seize illegal nets once here and there just to make it like there doing a good job , but none of them ever get charge, and if they do the charge get dropped.Part of the problem to declining fish stocks on the fraser

I am well aware of this thanks.

Wen I say bring to forefront, I mean get video, post it everywhere. document it as suggested and give to media. Time to make sure as much of the all too eager to feel like they are doing something Public gets educated and sees first hand what goes on .

I am well aware of this thanks.

Wen I say bring to forefront, I mean get video, post it everywhere. document it as suggested and give to media. Time to make sure as much of the all too eager to feel like they are doing something Public gets educated and sees first hand what goes on .
Good idea. I wonder how many news stations would post a video that puts a negative light on some FN??

Back