Bioluminescence

I know it was happening around gabriola a week or 2 back

it seems to always light up at nootka, at least in the anchorages we stay in at night...

I saw a bunch at Sheringham Point in Orveas Bay. The whole bay was full of them.

I think you could probably find it all up and down the coast. might show up in more sheltered bays... not sure.
at night in a calm bay, put down a lead jig and jig it up and down. I bet you'll see the jig glow in the dark with a trail of bioluminesance particles where it disturbs the water. I've shown this quite often to friends on my boat and you can often see down 40 or 50 feet even with a glow trail where the jig bounces... even the line the jig is tied to will glow as it cuts through the water. it's pretty kewl to see...
would be kewl to see a fish trying to attack the jig as i'm sure the fish and the trail it swims would glow also... haven't seen that yet though.

Off the dock in Tuwanek when I jump in after sauna. Swim in it, it is quite something.

Sheltered bay.

Many thanks for the tips. Much appreciated. I will go explore.
Keep me posted when you witness it again.

Some years back out of Brentwood, in the middle of the inlet away from the shore lights in complete dark going slow speed you would see squid up close to the surface (they come up in the dark) get spooked by the boat and take off like ultra high speed greenish glowing mini topedeos and leaving a glowing wake trail. Always found that facinating. I assumed they were squid rather than bait fish by the bullet like speed and perfectly straight water jet propelled like escape.

Last edited:
get spooked by the boat and take off like ultra high speed greenish glowing mini topedeos and leaving a glowing wake trail. [/QUOTE said:
That would be cool to witness. Good for you.
I am facinated by this phenomena as well. My kids and I swam in it 2 years ago and it was mesmerizing. Unfortunately, it looks like I missed it this year.
Thanks Rockfish for sharing.

i love pulling into grappler at night and watching the feed getting chased by seals.. amazing!!

Back