Bimini replacement?

KatieB

Looking for someone to replace the canvas on my boat top this winter. It's a simple one piece top for my 15 foot Arima. I've been quoted what I think is an unreasonable price and looking for alternatives in the Comox Valley or Campbell River area. Would even take to Nanaimo for the right business. Any suggestions? Cheers.

The quote was for something better than what I have now as far as craftsmanship and quality and was worth his price. Unfortunately I'm on the cheap so I'm looking for someone to reuse my frame and replace the canvas. Anyone have any leads?

Sorry for the long time ago bump. I'm looking for a top just like the one in Scott's picture. Any estimates on cost and suggestions in the lower mainland?

I've been quoted $1400-1,800 for similar to that but with a clear backdrop and door. I haven't pulled the trigger yet and not sure if I will. Might just use my semi-ripped cover when its raining until I get a new boat. The price for these things seems way too expensive for what you get but it's a necessity I guess.

I want something like Stizzlas that goes a little taller, follows the windshield line, and is clear above the windshield because I usually like to sit up a little higher.

Here's two photos that I've saved over the years. Stizzla is the beige one and I don't remember where I found the black one.

Attachments

• Example 1.jpg
    Example 1.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Example 2.jpeg
    Example 2.jpeg
    457.9 KB · Views: 81
There's a guy here in Powell River who did my whole top with back curtain for $1,400.00 less than the nearest quote I got. I checked several shops from Gibson's to Nanaimo & up to Campbell River. I'm pretty sure he'd be open to redoing the fabric on your frame.
He's a one man show, so you might be on the bottom of a list.
pm me if you want his phone #.

Jesus I paid $4000 to have the bayliner done a couple years back. Used the old bimini frame too! That was three front and two side glass panels, the canvas top and a canvas slope back on a 24' boat. He was cheaper by 3k than the other well known shops in Vancouver.

Holy smoke! Pretty costly getting stuff done in the big city! My 19 ft. Livingston Viking with 8' beam cost just under 2K. Full standing head room, front & side windows, three piece back curtain. New SS frame, the whole works.
The job isn't fancy, but everything fits nicely & looks good.
The guy was new in town at the time & maybe he gave me a good deal, but I am more than pleased with the work & the price.

Holy smoke! Pretty costly getting stuff done in the big city! My 19 ft. Livingston Viking with 8' beam cost just under 2K. Full standing head room, front & side windows, three piece back curtain. New SS frame, the whole works.
The job isn't fancy, but everything fits nicely & looks good.
The guy was new in town at the time & maybe he gave me a good deal, but I am more than pleased with the work & the price.
There really is a huge difference in quality from top of the line canvas and frames to the online Chinese junk.

There really is a huge difference in quality from top of the line canvas and frames to the online Chinese junk.

Not to be argumentative, but you might be making an unwarranted assumption, here.
There's nothing cheezy about the materials used on my boat. Top of the line US made fabric. (Not Sunbrella type fabric) I forget the name, but I checked around. Everyone agreed that this was "the good stuff". The steel looks as good as any I have seen. Window material clear & flexible as it should be.
After 8 seasons doing contract maintenance for a large charter yacht company & a 30 year career as an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer, I know the difference between CCC (Cheap Chinese Crap) & the real thing.
I guess my point was that high rent & business tax in the big city really can add to the price of custom made goods.
Anyway... I'm not trying to convince anybody of anything. Just offering what I thought might be a reasonable alternative to the OP.

Peace.

Last edited:
Agree with Prfisher. But I also still think that people are charging way too much for these canvas covers. Sure, they have to look nice and fit right. But I just can’t justify how a piece of fabric can cost that much.

Not to be argumentative, but you might be making an unwarranted assumption, here.
There's nothing cheezy about the materials used on my boat. Top of the line US made fabric. (Not Sunbrella type fabric) I forget the name, but I checked around. Everyone agreed that this was "the good stuff". The steel looks as good as any I have seen. Window material clear & flexible as it should be.
After 8 seasons doing contract maintenance for a large charter yacht company & a 30 year career as an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer, I know the difference between CCC (Cheap Chinese Crap) & the real thing.
I guess my point was that high rent & business tax in the big city really can add to the price of custom made goods.
Anyway... I'm not trying to convince anybody of anything. Just offering what I thought might be a reasonable alternative to the OP.

Peace.
Oh 100%. I wasn't disagreeing at all just adding to the convo. Maybe I shouldn't have replied to your comment, I see how that caused the confusion.

Agree with Prfisher. But I also still think that people are charging way too much for these canvas covers. Sure, they have to look nice and fit right. But I just can’t justify how a piece of fabric can cost that much.
I think it's the whole fact that many of them have to make minimum 2 trips, sometimes 3, down to your boat. If you can trailer your boat into a guys garage I would assume it would/should be cheaper.

I also have a good one... Marlene. She’s mobile too. She did my entire frame and top while my boat was still in my driveway. Very handy! She lives in Colwood but comes to Sidney very frequently

I also have a good one... Marlene. She’s mobile too. She did my entire frame and top while my boat was still in my driveway. Very handy! She lives in Colwood but comes to Sidney very frequently
How much?! :oops:

What you will find with the marine canvas and upholstery business in the lower mainland (and I presume elsewhere), is that there is an undersupply of workers and an abundance of work.

These guys are so busy right now that they really don't need any more jobs. When they don't need another job, they throw a stupid high number at the work. They don't care if they don't get it, but if they get it for the ridiculous number they quoted you then what the hell might as well take the work. (Think of some of the crazy construction quotes you've had in the past - same situation when you get a crazy number... the can't really do the work but if you bite on their crazy number they'll work the weekend or push another job off).

This has gone on for a while now, and when you need a top or upholstery, you need it. The ridiculous numbers have become the norm because people just hold their breath and say 'ok fine just do ti ugh.....'

Suggestion: Find a shop that isn't busy or hasn't been busy for too long. Find a way to bring them the pieces or the boat to make their lives easy where they can fit the job in during some downtime. Build a relationship with a yard that has lots of subcontractors on site (fibreglass team, canvas team, detail shop, etc all working in conjunction with the main mechanical and haul out service. Any of these will help your overall cost long term, both financial cost, and mental cost (pain and suffering).

Last edited:
Back