Bilge pump Double Eagle 17ft

DE18

Hi there

I have a 17ft double eagle older hull and the floor has been re done before I bought it. So I have no access to get to bottom of the hull and want to install a bilge. Just wondering just cut a hole in the floor and place it in there close to the stern? Any thoughts out? Thanks DE18

Make sure you leave access to it cause the clog up, short out, fail over time and will need replacing. You'd be surprised what makes it's way up into the bilges. Last year I found a strand of downrigger cable wire made it up and into the bilge and shorted out the contacts in the bilge. Lot's of crap get in them and clog the floats too so that they don't work. I usually clean/flush mine twice a year to ensure they are functioning properly. Try to place it as far back to the stern as you can if you're just using one. I've seen some guys install them on poles or removable boards so that they can easily remove and service them.

You will need to know where the stringers and any other braces, fuel tank etc are under your floor. Mark out their positions in chalk on the floor. You don't want to contact anything when you drill a test hole. Sometimes you can use a stud finder but that does not always work.

Once you have figured out a location where there are no obstructions beneath the, you need to drill a test hole. Cut the hole as close to to the centre line of the floor as you can. Use about an 1 1/2” hole saw and once you get the saw cutting, remove the drill bit and then cut the hole. Ease up just before going through the floor. Check for obstacles around the hole with a gas welding rod or even a straightened out metal coat hanger (if you can find one). Mark the location on the floor, with chalk, any obstacles you encounter. You should now be able to determine the maximum size hole you can put in the floor.

You can now determine what size waterproof deck hatch you need to get to fit. Have the deck hatch and a suitable sealant and mounting screws at hand before cutting the hole.

You now need to mount the bilge pump(s) and float switch(s) in the bottom of the hull. There are a couple (probably more) ways of doing this but in my opinion mounting them on a fairly heavy, (the larger the better) stainless steel plate allows for the easiest maintenance, and will keep them in place. Wire up the pumps, switches etc. according to manufactures instructions, being sure to waterproof each connection and not allow the wires to lay in the bilge.
The outlet hose(s) should run to the side of the boat, not the stern, to prevent a following sea from entering the bilge through the discharge hose.

Right at the transom centerline there should be a small, accessible well about 8" by 14" and it's open down to the keel, purpose-built for the bilge pump and switch. It drains through the transom plug. Did they run flooring right over it? If so, it may be tough to cut an opening there because of the fiberglass motor well liner close above it. You could do as Gungadin suggests using an angle drill to make a test hole in the floor and then an orbital saw to cut a larger access hole tight to the transom. Seal up the 3 cut edges.

If you are really anal about keeping your bilge as dry as possible a Jabsco self priming water puppy with quick detachable hose for overboard discharge is excellent for removing almost all of the remaining water. Mount the pump under the floorboards, with the inlet hose leading to the lowest part of the bilge, and store a quick detachable hose for the outlet in a suitable location. Wire to a fused switch in the dash. It could also act as an emergency backup in the event of the regular bilge pump failure.

Another one here. What pumps do you guys recommend?
I just put a new Rule 1100 pump and switch on our boat. The old one was still working fine after 10 years but preventative maintenance, you know. Do not buy the cheap ones - I tried that with a washdown pump that barely lasted one season.

I have used rule pumps in the past, seemed good quality, but because of the limited area I have to install them and the difficulty I had with removing the pump from its mount I installed two Atwood Tsunami Bilge pumps this year along with two Rule 35 Float Switches. These are cartridge type pumps and are easy to replace. The switches can be disconnected from their mounts for quicker and easier replacement. I also carry a spare of each.

Back