Biggest trout ever

M

Mrtrailer

Friday I caught my biggest 'bow in 22 years!!

Just over 27 frigging inches!!

NO way I could kill it,so couldn't weight it live because I had no scale with me. :(

I'm also a golfer,from Europe,and they lost the Ryder Cup today to the U.S.A. but right now it really doesn't matter. :D
Not an exciting thread,I know,but would be nice to hear about any simular stories.

its about time the usa won the ryder cup, whats it been 9 years? sounds like a nice fish to, good on ya for releasing it [^]

quote:Originally posted by salmondude

dont you have to realese if its over 21 inches
I'm pretty sure you don't but will look it up and report back.

quote:Originally posted by Mrtrailer

quote:Originally posted by salmondude

dont you have to realese if its over 21 inches
I'm pretty sure you don't but will look it up and report back.
Regulations state you may only keep "1" trout over 30 centimeters.

Actually you can bonk only one over 50CM not 30CM. This is part of the general rules for region 1, Vancouver Island, so this would be the case for Elk Lake. 1 over 50CM.

There are specific rules for certain lakes like Cowichan for instance. You may only bonk Cutthroat UNDER 50CM from there.

Actually you can bonk only one over 50CM not 30CM. This is part of the general rules for region 1, Vancouver Island, so this would be the case for Elk Lake. 1 over 50CM.

There are specific rules for certain lakes like Cowichan for instance. You may only bonk Cutthroat UNDER 50CM from there.

quote:Originally posted by kildonan

I stand corrected. [:I]

quote:Originally posted by kildonan

I stand corrected. [:I]

unbelievable. 27" is huge. I would of done the same thing. The smaller ones tase better anyways, although i don't eat many out of elk. What did you catch it on?

unbelievable. 27" is huge. I would of done the same thing. The smaller ones tase better anyways, although i don't eat many out of elk. What did you catch it on?

About 12 years ago when the fishing was still hot at Elk for big wild Bows and Cutties. ( yes even though they had well rooted plantings there already at that time). There was not nearly the pressure from all the coarse fish now present in the lake.
I too released a 27.5" Rainbow. What a beauty. Not a pig either however. Definitely not skinny. This fish looked like a steelhead that had only been in the river for a few days. Drab olive on top and silvery sides blending to white on the under belly. Not a single flaw on her and barely any spots. It did look sea run but none the less back she went.

Maybe her progeny?

I am glad you let it go. Maybe I'll tie into another down the road.

quote:Originally posted by rico

Orange Power eggs.

quote:Originally posted by highlights

About 12 years ago when the fishing was still hot at Elk for big wild Bows and Cutties. ( yes even though they had well rooted plantings there already at that time). There was not nearly the pressure from all the coarse fish now present in the lake.
I too released a 27.5" Rainbow. What a beauty. Not a pig either however. Definitely not skinny. This fish looked like a steelhead that had only been in the river for a few days. Drab olive on top and silvery sides blending to white on the under belly. Not a single flaw on her and barely any spots. It did look sea run but none the less back she went.

Maybe her progeny?

I am glad you let it go. Maybe I'll tie into another down the road.
My fish was healthy as a horse as well!!

I've heard people who have caught big fish say it was a memory of a life time. I never had that feeling til Friday morning but you know what?

IT's TRUE !!:D:D

I neglected to mention in my previous post, that's a nice fish from there, Mrtailer. I started fishing Elk Lake in about 1980 and have brought only one to hand like that one you describe from there. I caught mine on a bloodworm pattern in front of that patch of reeds just to the North of where the fishing pier is now.

I remember the first glimpse I had of that brute, it looked like a Coho. :D I killed the one I caught, but that's what we did in those days. It drew a crowd at the boat launch when I was loading up to leave. It stands today as one of the bigger trout I've hooked in my life from both here on the Island and in the interior.

my partnerand i have been fishing elk lakebeaver for the last week and it is a beautiful -place to fish.with lots of big trout around to catch. we caught 3 18 inchers between us and they were great baked with some onion, and ginger. apparantly they dont spawn in that lake anyway.i would love to see one over 20 inches, what a catch that would be. BUT 27 INCH WOWEE.

In the late eighties we could go and cast or troll flies along the highway side and hook 20-24" fish all day long. No problem hooking into 30 or 40 in a day. Didn't have to wait more than a few mnutes between fish. It was amazing fishing!

Times have changed and you have to put in the hours like so many other fisheries.:(

late 80s are long gone but still good fish in those lakes. hope fully i wont ever hook 30 or 40 trout like that in one day no reason to keep fishing "then.' its too bad their was so many fish in those days.thank fully its not like that now. i dont remember everseeing any one at the launch ramp with more than their limit, so you must have used a tube. from the beach.

Back