Biggest Salmon you ever caught???

pescador

I'd be interesting to know what the largest salmon is forum members have caught over the years. My biggest is 43 lbs., Beechy Head, June 10th 1981, on Anchovy at 40 feet at 0700 in the morning. And you???

Last edited by a moderator:
52 pounds on July 4th, 2001 at Possession Pt 42 feet, anchovie. A rough and crappy morning, only us and 2 other boats went out. The wife of the Bass player for the Aussie band "Powderfinger" caught it. The first fish she ever caught!!!
I keep logs so here are all my over 40's. Sooke caught - 52, 49, 48.8, 47.8, 46, 45, 45, 44, 43, 43, 42.8, 42, 41.8, 41, 41, 40.8, 40.8, 40, 40, 40, 40 & 40. Bamfield caught - 45, 40 & 40 Gold River caught - 43, 42, 42, 40 & 40. My first over 40 was taken in my first year of chartering in 1986. 40 pounds July 31st also at Possession Point. Funny I liked fishing there in the early days but don't enjoy it much there anymore.

29.5 lbs nootka sound...august 2008....just cant break that Tyee size. This is the Year!!!!!!.
Though i did take my old roommate out to renfrew in 2007, shes from Whitehorse,never fished in the saltchuck, but she managed to land herself a 32lb'er. i set the hook for her not knowing it was a lunker, handed it over, and we didnt see it for another 30 mins. I was pretty jealous. so i told her the Saltwater fisherman ritual is when you catch your first salmon, you have to kiss it!!.....Priceless!

Fire it up

47.8 pound tyee in my family...my father caught it near Lone Tree Point several years ago in late morning. I haven't caught a tyee over 40 pound but myself already landed a nice spring in 30's near Lone Tree Point as well, and one giant sockeye salmon approx. more than 12 pound off Mastush Bay across from the sawmill ten years ago.

33 lbs. Epsom Pt. off Thormanby Island over here on the Sunshine Coast Aug. 2001. Sadly my only Tyee in over 20 years of fishing the inside. Lots of 25-29 pounders though!

37 lbs, caught on a Tomic plug, July 2009 on the South Bank, out of Ukee.

www.cobbcanada.ca

Great post.Profisher those are some impressive numbers of large fish!Dont get many big ones mainly fishing the inside but I got my largest this season at a smidge under 40. Aug 20 bouncing bottom in 200 ft of water off French creek 5 inch lime/chrome coyote. Other fish was low 20s for comparison.

020.jpg

018-1.jpg

37 is my biggest, i just cant break 40, but maybe when i turn 40, hmmmm.
sooke has been good to me, caught more than i can remember over 20 and more then a few in the 30's
my first fish over 20 was in bamfield

33 is my biggest and only tyee - while fishing for coho in Renfrew at the end of september, 2007.

Already had a 21 and 23 lb coho on board, when initially saw it in the water off the boat, thought it was the biggest beast of a coho ever!

but spring it was... and no complaints!

Will never forget my biggest, about 7am Aug 4th 2008 Spider Island. Dragging cut plugs on 12 foot Rogue rods with a good buddy Dexter Wham, a 68lb takes the plug like a freight train, an hour later and thoughts of it not fitting in the net she is laying on the deck, measured 52 x 32. Heading back there again this year to try and hunt another one down.

Cheers,

www.bearcovecottages.ca
Port Hardy BC
Canada

I caught a 65,( i have it on the wall) 10 years ago at Dundas island one night when no one wanted to go out just me and a six pack, first fish was 38 and did one more pass before going back to camp hit this hog in 90 feet ran like a freight train for 20 minutes came up started jumping around the boat at 30 feet away, it was on a 10'6 rod with a 9 foot leader so i stood on the seat with the rod in one hand and the net in the other and it was flat on its side all i could do was pull back double on the rod and it slide right in the net! Lucky for me!
Next day one on the guests paid me to take him to the spot and we hit a double header of 44's that was exciting !

74#,kenai, river mile 14, chased into tide water, glob of eggs, 17# line on a way too light weight rod. next day 2 more, 56#, 52#, same setup, further up river.

my long time waterfowling partner, RIP Loring, owned a cabin in that general area of the river. world record chinook was hooked about 50yds below his cabin. nice place to visit especially when the coho were running.

Got this one in late August 2009 out at Kitty Coleman, on a glow hootchie.we had two scales,One said 44and the said 36.5. I like the 44 but more prone to believe the 36.5. The only other 3 tyee's I have boated have all come from Cape Beale. 30.5,33 and a 34.5

DSC01561.jpg

No place I would rather be (FISH ON)

This biggest fish thing ticks me off every time I think of it......:D Over the course of 30 years I have caught several over 30 lbs. with my biggest being 38 lbs. to date.
So, why am I ticked off.......... I was fishing Nootka with a buddy and after landing several very large fish and consuming an equal amount of beer.....:) my rod starts jerking and eventually pops the release clip. My buddy is yelling fish on, fish on to which I lazily replied that I wanted to finish my beer first or he could bring it in if he so choose. Well, he couldn't stand watching my rod bouncing around so he jumps up and grabs the rod. To make a long story short, a FREAKIN 52 POUNDER IN THE BOAT! :(:(
Still pissed off with myself!

SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

42#er off Bajo Reef. Last day of the trip, last fish of our limit and last cutplug.

Well thhats kinda a sh***y pic there CS LOL :D:D

I was a third wheel on a friend of a friends boat in Masset and watched the 2 newbs farm several large fish before landing a decent one each along with several northerns. The they suggested I thave a turn. First fish 46 lber. Then they farmed several more. Day 2 was groundhog day with another 46 hog on my first chance. After that I didn't get the rod back :D

The next year fishing the gong show at the Cap I tried to get a buddy a fish and we got skunked 2 trips in a row. On the third trip just before pulling the pin I said screw this, it's my turn now. Wham, 46 in the box. All three , spoon no flasher between 35 and 40'.[:0]

Back