Biggest Halibut You Ever Caught

algae

Lets start a new thread about the biggest halibut you ever caught. I'll start with a puny 45lbs on Oak Bay flats, caught on tiny strip trolling for salmon.

Yes Charlie it was a struggle as you know you have to use light leader on the tiny teaser to get the proper action. I was using 20lb test. But managed to land it.

Largest caught was at the 24 mile mark out of Uclulet. 45 lbs of wonderful halibut :)

Largest caught was also released - 120 LBS - at 7 mile off Bamfield. It was 5 ft 2 in long. Caught it on salmon gear 10 min after we started fishing early one morning. Luckily it was flat calm so we just took it slow and got it alongside the boat , took some pics and let her go.

Well I have only ever caught one, last year and it weighed in at 35 lbs. Needless to say Im hooked, can't wait for a little bigger one.

Attachments

• 100_1138.jpg
    100_1138.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 215
2002GiantHalibut.JPG

Cindy caught our biggest. Measured alongside somewhere between 6 and 6.5 feet, about 195-255 lb. We call it 200+. On a salmon rod and Abu 6501 reel with 40lb braid, jigging a white bucktail about 4-5 miles SW of Bella Bella. Took an hour and 15 minutes to bring it to the boat.

55 pounds for me. But I plan on topping that this year. My biggest on salmon gear was 45 pounds. It was alot more fun landing it then on hali gear!

-Steve

70# caught off Victoria, spring of 09. Chartered with the big bad Wolf..

DSC00558.jpg

My biggest to date is 70 lbs. Caught it in Knights Inlet, Minstriel Island. I was salmon fishing in about 70-80 ft. of water, using a 12 ft. Sage power moocher, Islander reel and 20 lb. test line and a white Atomic plug. When it released off the downrigger my first thoughts were of course a spring. The fun really started when we made the decision to land it, not prepared for Hali, so no harpoon in the boat, long story but it did finally end up in the freezer.

Wow the ol boat.... yes great day for sure as ol terry was hurting!!!! alberta guys never hold anything with that much power LOL LOL thats was an AWSOME day for sure.....when you coming back???

Tyee slayer curious was that off the serpentine channel?? that was my ol stomping grounds for 15 years, I got one in that channel many many yrs ago with a 14 yr old girl on coho gear at 70 ft as well if that was the spot????

Wolf

Last edited by a moderator:
HEHEHE-- I am just waiting in anticipation for the first scream that ALL THE SPAWNERS SHOULD BE THROWN BACK SO THEY CAN MAKE BABIES!!!!!!! me bad..............

Biggest was 89 outta refrew, also got a 77 65 56 45 42 in same day all in 2 hrs. Best day hali fishing for size and timewise!

Wow the ol boat.... yes great day for sure as ol terry was hurting!!!! alberta guys never hold anything with that much power LOL LOL thats was an AWSOME day for sure.....when you coming back???

Tyee slayer curious was that off the serpentine channel?? that was my ol stomping grounds for 15 years, I got one in that channel many many yrs ago with a 14 yr old girl on coho gear at 70 ft as well if that was the spot????

Wolf

Yup had a blast Wolf,,, literally had a blast,, a couple of them lolo..

Just about booked you for this spring but just don't know.. I am thinking of hooking up to the tub and maybe coming out in early May for a salmon run so we will see. Either that or I might run out to Tofino for a quick 3 day fish sort of a pre fish for my August run..

Back