Big Springs

theJohnD

I am interested in prospecting for new spots(new for me) for big springs. I have fished the last 11 years out of Port Hardy and was extremely lucky to get a 53 lb fish 2 years ago. Fish out of a 27 ft. Orca (diesel powered) with honda kicker. Have been up to shearwater (110 miles north) and fished on the outside down to Cape Mark, caught springs to 25 lbs, no larger. Should I go further north, Hakai Pass, or? Is Langara Island doable for a private boater, are there sufficient facilties or is just too far from place to place? I know there are big fish caught every year in Rivers Inlet but everyone who has been there I have talked to describe a zoo like setting, lots of boats in a small area. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, its not just the fish its the adventure of it all that appeals to my wife and I. We love the BC coast and all it has to offer. Would especially like to hear from the Fishing Magican as he seemed to have definte insights in regards to the Langara Island posting. Thanks in advance for any help, and tight lines and safe boating to all. David Dickson

50 n half pounder when i was 14.

...cheers steelyman

Thanks for the suggestion of Prince Rubert Area. My wife has never caught a spring bigger then about 23 lbs or so and my big fish is much bigger than anything else I have caught, 40 lb fish sound real good to me. Is the fishing in the Prince Rubert Area in protected waters or out towards the open? My wife used to get seasick all the time but since we found Scopace (prescription med.) that problem is over. Marina and general location suggestions would be appreciated, I have my boat in Quarterdeck Marnina in Port Hardy and have always been treated real well. Weather in May/June? Cut Plug or hardware? Thanks for any more info. Anyone interested in coming south to fish Albacore, if they run this year, give me a hollar, its really a blast with 3 or sometimes 4 reels all screaming at the same time. Not bad eats either.

I'd like to give albacore a try. You planning on fishing out of Oregon? I live in Wash. state.
John

john

I fish Albacore out of Santa Cruz (100 miles south of San Francisco) Last two years run has passed us by (120 miles out is too far for me) Hope springs eternal, will post if the run comes within range this year.

I guided in rupert for four years and caught 6 over sixty and 12 over fifty and have all the pics to prove it!
Dundas Island was good but the bugs are bad , the cannery and eddy pass is where i did most damage! Good luck and happy fishing.
Email me if you need more info

Don't give up on the idea of Rivers Inlet John D.

Fish earlier than the crowds hitting Kilbella in mid August. Check out a chart of the approaches to Rivers Inlet, use your knowledge of where Springs are likely to hold in a terminal area, and then fish away from the pack. I've good success on Chinook well over 50 in the inlet in recent years and have had no crowd problems.

Use your noggin, the crowds are created by lodge guests who by no fault of their own are fishing proven "hot spots" as indicated by fishmasters. Lots of the more experienced guides in the area don't frequent these hot spots except during the later part of the season when the fish are stacked there staging before heading up the river.

In my mind - and yes, I've spent plenty of time in the Charlottes - Rivers Inlet is still the best place on the cosat for a guy looking for that huge spring in the salt chuck. And the Coho can be HUGE too.

Don't expect to get lots, but when that rod goes off, make sure you're ready...

Gooey.

Thanks for the info, Rivers is not too much of a run for me from Hardy on the right day. May come up and try out some less heavily fished areas as back at the back of the inlet sounds like a zoo I don't want any part of. I could stay on the boat for a few days and then head back. Do you boat up or fly in?

Back