Big Kokanee Kalamalk Lake

FishDoc

Kalamalka Lake is one of the most beautiful lakes on earth and resides in the Okanagan area of British Columbia. It is known to most people for it's spectacular coloration in the summer months, and excellent weather for plenty of swim suit days on the boat. Less know it for it's excellent quality of fishing. Now don't get me wrong it is not necessarily the easiest place to go and catch fish in the area but it definitely has some of the biggest fish in the area. For one the Kokanee that spawn in the stream grow the epic proportions. While the shore spawning kokanee numbers are much higher they do not impress most fishermen. Spring time is a great time to get out as the fish are closer to the surface and there isn't much boat traffic out. Trolling will get you on the fish and your chances at a giant world record size kokanee are always a possibity. So without any further hesitation check out the video and see some beauty kokanee first on Kalamalka Lake and I explain how we catch them. Then we head over to Wood lake before loading up the boat and also catch a few nice fish. The size difference is no comparison though. I hope you enjoy this video!

Nice work. Was actually heading out to Kal tomorrow for first time. See if I can’t catch a couple big Kokanee.

make sure to launch at Kal...the canal is not navigable due to the high water under the bridge (what i was told) I always send off from Kekuli. Kokes have been awesome this year. Great fun with the kids and nice size!

make sure to launch at Kal...the canal is not navigable due to the high water under the bridge (what i was told) I always send off from Kekuli. Kokes have been awesome this year. Great fun with the kids and nice size!

Was able to squeeze under the bridge. Caught a couple on Kal before moving back to Wood for a few more, but the Kal kokes weren't giants. Next time!

Yeah you can get under the bridge. There is room unless you have a tower or a high roof. Otherwise should fit under. We went back and forth under the bridge.

Too bad. It takes time to find the bigger fish. Changing depths and locations till you catch one. Usually once you catch one you're in business.

yup. Was out Sunday morning and other than having a fish on that didn’t stick it was a skunker for me. They move around a lot following the food and changing water temps, not always where ya last found em! Hopefully I can beat the wake crowd for another day or two before going to the island with the boat.

yup. Was out Sunday morning and other than having a fish on that didn’t stick it was a skunker for me. They move around a lot following the food and changing water temps, not always where ya last found em! Hopefully I can beat the wake crowd for another day or two before going to the island with the boat.
Yeah they sure do move around a lot. I've trolled many miles out there on that lake. I find as summer goes on and temps rise they tighten up on the thermocline like around 45 to 60 feet and in a smaller area of the lake. Makes them easier to find. Earlier in the season they really can be anywhere from surface down to 100 feet probably. I was just out on the island and had a great time.

Exactly. Things should be getting pretty good about now and into August. Fun when they are stacked, bit tougher when they are scattered and the surface temps are still in the 50-60 range.

Exactly. Things should be getting pretty good about now and into August. Fun when they are stacked, bit tougher when they are scattered and the surface temps are still in the 50-60 range.
Is that what the temps were when you were out there? Still cool surface temps. This is a wierd year. My garden here in Langley sucks. Too wet, not enough heat.

Is it too late (close to spawning) to fish Kal for bigger Kokanee? Was thinking of heading there late next week (Friday or Saturday) I know that the water is warm and they will be deeper.

Should still be fine. They seem to have coloured up quicker than usual. I’ve had great success into late Sept right out in the middle still (away from those fish that have already moved closer to the creek).

Water will be warm...I’ll get a surface reading tonight. Typically pull gear around 50 feet down.

Thanks Donnie. Boat maintenance this weekend and out for next when the solunar tables are more favourable :)

72 degrees on top out in the middle...you’re def gonna need to be 40-50 down. I’ll be out next Sunday. Family cruising this weekend!

Is it too late (close to spawning) to fish Kal for bigger Kokanee? Was thinking of heading there late next week (Friday or Saturday) I know that the water is warm and they will be deeper.

I was there on sunday in the smoke. It was slow. Fished 2 pm to 6pm. Got three hits. One 21.5 inch likely 4 pounds chrome as can be and full of milt. Surprising because a few weeks back caught a giant 24 inch that was all colored up. The little shore spawner we got was colored. 20200913_152923.jpg 20200913_170430.jpg 20200812_142651.jpg

They are Still out there.

some of the run up Coldstream creek has started with some good sized ones already spawning....

went out from 7-830 this am, got a beauty 22 inch male. Deeper than usual down 60 ft on the riggers. Just myself and my 5 year old. He reeled in a couple that we gently let go but he did a masterful job netting the big one. Great fight! Successful quick fish.

Back