Big chinook arrive early

Status
Not open for further replies.
jake barker.jpg
Jake Barker from Mount St. Helen's Oregon with his 45.5 lbs Chinook caught June 21st off Esperanza Inlet.

THEY ARE HERE - I’ve been fishing out of Tahsis for 14 years now. Before that out of a variety of private and public fish camps in Nootka Sound for 18 years for a total of 32 years fishing in Nootka Sound and Esperanza Inlet. I’ve never seen a fish this large this early. It’s June 21st & not only did this BRUTE of a 45.5 lb land on our cleaning table but a 32 lb also weighed in earlier today along with lots of 15 to 25 lb. Springs.

Well I guess it is true - “We are in for the largest return of Chinook in recorded history in Esperanza & Nootka.” DFO science has projected that there are lots of 4 and 5 year old Tyees in this return. Looks like they are right again!!!

It is magical to be in the right place at the right time to catch these feisty fresh salmon.

Keep those good news reports rolling in! niiiiiice fish!

Sent you a PM Fish on John....need some of that action. trying to round up some guys...BTW, maybe i'll try this too...anyone here want to share a charter with me heading out of tsawwassen ferries? I have sent a pm to westview so see if available next week. would want to leave tsawwassen wed mid morn and return sat...leaving two days to fish...that is if fish on john is available.

Thank you La Nina and here's hoping some of our local Chinook return as double Tyee's again this year.

Bring it on!!

Tight lines all and.........

Take care.

Where is the fishing better mid June early July, Nootka or Ezperanza?

Last year I was talking to a DFO officer and asked him what percentage of Conuma fish swim around the Nootka Sound side compared to Esperanza to get back to Conuma. He said on average 75-80% migrate down the outside of Nootka Island then into the sound and 20-25% go up Esperanza inlet, but he said some years can vary slightly.

You actually believe what a DFO officer had to say??? :p Seems like the kind of data that might be difficult to obtain.

Last year I was talking to a DFO officer and asked him what percentage of Conuma fish swim around the Nootka Sound side compared to Esperanza to get back to Conuma. He said on average 75-80% migrate down the outside of Nootka Island then into the sound and 20-25% go up Esperanza inlet, but he said some years can vary slightly.

This year Esperenza is open for 1>77, 1<77 co-inciding with DNA sampling so we should get a much better idea of what the stock composition is from that data...I think the intention is to collect about 1500 samples in 3 areas over the summer.

Mid July Happen this year EARLY. Like NOW (July 9th). LOTS of 25lb Spring lit up Coopte Point, Canel Island & Salter Pt all produced good Catches of Canuma Hatchery Fish. The timing could not have been better the wind has the outside nearly unfishable.

Mid July Happen this year EARLY. Like NOW (July 9th). LOTS of 25lb Spring lit up Coopte Point, Canel Island & Salter Pt all produced good Catches of Canuma Hatchery Fish. The timing could not have been better the wind has the outside nearly unfishable.

We really appreciate the reports John. I'm booked at you place starting July 30th and am literally counting the days. The only bad thing about your reports is that you are getting me worried that I'm going to be too late!

Go get em guys!! They are kind of at the average time for rounding the corner(Monument and Tahsis channel) Earliest I've ever seen it was July 1/1999-Latest was in 2008/ around the 14th(rotten year). Looks like it will be a banner year. Keep up the good work John-sounds like we have some fish deprived guys out here-needing a fish fix. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back