Big Bank Question

pennel

Thinking of running out to the Rat's Nose next Thursday (if weather stays ok). I've never been there (everybody keeps talking about it) and the question I have for those in the know is, is it worth going there at this time of the year or would you be just as well fishing closer in just now?
I know that the Sound is fishing ok but just wondering if it's worth the trip or waiting a little bit.
Thanks

Thinking of running out to the Rat's Nose next Thursday (if weather stays ok). I've never been there (everybody keeps talking about it) and the question I have for those in the know is, is it worth going there at this time of the year or would you be just as well fishing closer in just now?
I know that the Sound is fishing ok but just wondering if it's worth the trip or waiting a little bit.
Thanks

Whether it’s “worth it” is an individual choice. It’s an hour run in good weather and fishing is primarily off the bottom, though you can get springs and coho in the upper water column. Fishing is consistent for feeder chinook 6-12 lbs and ping pong paddle halibut on the troll in my experience. Popular with charters as good odds they can tub out on Hali and springs for their clients. Big fish are also caught as schools of mature fish head south and stop to feed on the bank. My observation is that the halibut quantity and particularly quality, at least as bycatch on the troll, has nosedived in the past 5-years, thus my ping pong paddle comment.

My preference is fishing closer in as I like structure fishing - more interesting tacks, scenery, etc but that’s personal choice. Closer in fishing comes in waves, depends on bait holding and seems to be seasonal as some years bulk of fish do seem to migrate further offshore (eg 2 of the past 3 years the inner banks like lighthouse and south have been off and on at best).

Rats nose is just one part of that bank, which is called “big” for a reason. Look for contours on your charts and focus on them - like the whales tail, which used to be a good bet to drop Hali rigs onto.

Cheers!

Ukee

Fishing is consistent for feeder chinook 6-12 lbs and ping pong paddle halibut on the troll in my experience.

I think a category of fish as accurately described above live there all the time.

Late 80's - early 90's it was known for big fish. You might find some descent Halibut by prospecting your own spot out there as suggested above, but the runs of big Chinook of yesteryear seem to be MIA. Also as mentioned above, the action may have moved to deeper waters like 400 - 500 feet.

I have fished it lots in the past few years there's lots of pros and cons. I'm also up there next Thurs for 4 days and will be fishing inside unless fishing is slow we don't really consider going to the Rats nose. I heard its good out there already and the nice thing is when the fishing is good out there you can limit out fairly quickly. Its also very easy to limit out on small Halis. We only head out there when the wave height is not so bad like below 1.5 meters and the swell distance is more than 10 seconds. Its a long drive out there so if the weather sucks you could be wasting your time.

Salmon and good Hali fishing on close banks. No need to go to Big Bank. Small spoons chrome and light green. Hali bait on drift but best anchored up there are lots of biggies you will probably have to cut a few oversize loose. Some wild Coho around too no good for you offshore though.

Whether it’s “worth it” is an individual choice. It’s an hour run in good weather and fishing is primarily off the bottom, though you can get springs and coho in the upper water column. Fishing is consistent for feeder chinook 6-12 lbs and ping pong paddle halibut on the troll in my experience. Popular with charters as good odds they can tub out on Hali and springs for their clients. Big fish are also caught as schools of mature fish head south and stop to feed on the bank. My observation is that the halibut quantity and particularly quality, at least as bycatch on the troll, has nosedived in the past 5-years, thus my ping pong paddle comment.

My preference is fishing closer in as I like structure fishing - more interesting tacks, scenery, etc but that’s personal choice. Closer in fishing comes in waves, depends on bait holding and seems to be seasonal as some years bulk of fish do seem to migrate further offshore (eg 2 of the past 3 years the inner banks like lighthouse and south have been off and on at best).

Rats nose is just one part of that bank, which is called “big” for a reason. Look for contours on your charts and focus on them - like the whales tail, which used to be a good bet to drop Hali rigs onto.

Cheers!

Ukee

Well guys you have given me a lot of good concrete info and I appreciate you all taking the time to reply.
Based on what you have said I’ll just wait a bit but will have to go eventually even if is only get the big bank t shirt.

Well guys you have given me a lot of good concrete info and I appreciate you all taking the time to reply.
Based on what you have said I’ll just wait a bit but will have to go eventually even if is only get the big bank t shirt.

How did things go for you? Did you make it out there to big bank, or did you find some halibut in closer? I’m leafing for Bamfield Monday

Hi Big Lefty, have been a way for a bit.
Well,based on the advice here I didn’t bother going to the big bank. Stayed closer in at 7 mile and the Sound. No luck with Hali but we were actually chased away by coho at Cree.
We wanted some springs but every time we put our lines in the water we were whacked straight away by coho.Not big fish-around 5lbs.
Ended up moving to Pill to get the springs.
Going to try this weekend if I can convince the wife that the rain won’t be that bad.

Back