"Big" Anti-fishfarming Ralley - Vancouver!

Little Hawk

Got this important notice today from a colleague.

If any of you can get over there on Oct 3rd, it should be a 'biggy!'

Stand Up for Wild Salmon - Come Join Two Upcoming Wild Salmon Rallies!

1) Rally - Wed. September 16 at 12 noon in front of the DFO offices at Burrard and Pender in downtown Vancouver.

2) Rally - Sat. October 3 at 1pm in front of Vancouver Art Gallery on Georgia St. between Howe St. and Hornby St. in downtown Vancouver - this is the big rally!

These rallies are to urge federal government to take action to protect dwindling wild salmon immediately. Take action to shutdown open-net cage salmon farms and restore wild salmon stocks. More details below:

CALLING ALL CITIZENS TO A RALLY FOR WILD SALMON ON WED. SEP. 16 & SAT. OCT. 3, 2009

Turn the Tide - Stand up for Wild Salmon

WHERE: The Vancouver Art Gallery, on Georgia between Hornby and Howe

WHEN: October 3, 2009, 1:00 p.m.

WHAT: A rally for wild salmon at the Art Gallery. Guest speakers, Tum Tum the wild salmon in costume, information, petitions, and with luck some wild salmon cultural activities.

PURPOSE: To demand the DFO immediately remove salmon farms from the BC coast, and begin restoring our stocks of wild salmon-- and to begin a non-partisan, democratic citizen movement for the preservation of wild salmon.

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((((º>

The Wild Salmon Circle* is calling all concerned citizens in British Columbia to a rally in Vancouver on October 3, 2009 to stand up for our wild salmon.

If we do not demand change, we may see the demise of these amazing fish--upon whom orcas, grizzlies, forests and humans depend-- in our lifetime. While we recognize there are many factors affecting wild salmon, salmon farms have been proven undeniably by Canadian and international research to result in disastrous collapses for wild salmon, everywhere they have been placed. We must address this issue first.

We don't need to trade thriving biodiversity for economic growth. There are better ways to create jobs from our wild waters.

We demand an end to DFO denial, broken promises by government and industry, and to the endless delays that keep these farms operating in BC's coastal waters.

Dozens of conservation groups and scientists in B.C. have fought for years to remove open-net salmon farms from BC, and to preserve wild salmon stocks in many other ways. We can't leave this fight up to them alone, or put our faith any longer in government agencies who care more about politics than wild salmon. These are our fish.

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((((º>

We need to rally together and speak to the federal government with one voice: Open-net salmon farms out of BC waters, now.

Please join us! Show up on October 3, 2009 to show your support for wild salmon. Let government and industry know we won't stand for further delays in removing open-net salmon farms from our waters. Our salmon have waited long enough.

Go here for Event Updates: < http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=125938871793>

>>> >>> Another Rally will be held September 16 at noon in front of the DFO offices at Burrard and Pender. If you can join us on this day as well, that would be great. The purpose of this event is to also recruit as many people as possible to the October 3 rally.

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((((º>

BACKGROUND FACTS:

. Open-net salmon farms have wiped out populations of wild salmon and sea-run trout in Norway, Ireland, and Scotland.

. In BC's Broughton Archipelago, salmon farms have caused catastrophic collapses of pink salmon stocks. There is good reason to believe, based on research by Alexandra Morton and others, that they have also played a role in the decline of Fraser sockeye.

. Ninety percent of BC's 130 farms are owned by Norwegian multinational corporations, who reap profits while polluting our waters and killing wild salmon.

. Over 80% of BC farmed salmon is sold and eaten in the United States.

. In August 2009, the Canadian government hosted a pavilion at the Nor Aqua aquaculture trade show in Norway. DFO Minister Gail Shea and other DFO staff put out the red carpet there to more multinational salmon farm corporations, offering up still more of our waters to this toxic industry.

* The Wild Salmon Circle is a group of citizens concerned about the possible extinction of wild salmon stocks in BC. We do not represent any particular NGO, agency, special interest or lobby group. We are BC citizens who want wild salmon to thrive for our children and all future generations.
? Above salmon graphic taken from < http://www.salmonaid.org/news.html>

Geoff Senichenko | Director of Research and Mapping
Wilderness Committee | Canada's largest membership-based wilderness preservation organization

Subscribe for free weekly E-lerts: http://www.wildernesscommittee.org/take_action/e_lerts_sign/

office: 604-683-8220 | email: geoff@wildernesscommittee.org
web: www.wildernesscommittee.org

Any report on what happened Weds??

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Couple of hundred showed up. Not bad.

THE BIGGY IS OCT 3RD!</u>

IF ANY AND ALL OF YOU COULD SHOW UP - OR LET YOUR PALS IN VANCOUVER KNOW ABOUT IT - IT WOULD BE TOTALLY COOL!

TIME TO STAND UP AND LET DFO KNOW IT'S DUE TIME FOR PREMIUM-QUALITY PACIFIC SALMON MANAGEMENT AND TO SEND THE NORWEGIAN FISH-FARMERS PACKING!

JUST A FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT THE "BIG-RALLY" IN VANCOUVER THIS SATURDAY! OCT 3RD.

ALEX SENT THIS OUT TO REMIND US ALL OF THE IMPORTANCE OF THIS EVENT.

PLEASE ATTEND!

Hello

I am writing to remind you that this Saturday, October 3, there is a rally being held in Vancouver on the steps of the Vancouver Art Gallery at 1pm on Georgia Street between Howe St. and Hornby St. It has been organized by a few citizens who realize that unless we take a stand, we will be losing our wild salmon. I have heard from many people who plan to be there from a wide area of the Province and Washington State.

There has been a very long and difficult history between people and this fish that feeds us and our environment. Many people know they have not done what they can to make sure future generations have this generous fish but it is time to move past this and take a stand.

If you cannot be there you can help by contacting your MP telling them to ask Prime Minister Harper everyday in question period what he has done to bring our sockeye salmon back from collapse. Why has the Minister of Fisheries, Gail Shea and her top BC official Paul Sprout said that fish farms will not be part of this investigation? Ask your MP everyday for a Judicial Inquiry into the disease history of every salmon farm in the spring of 2007 when our sockeye were last seen.

Contact your MP until they tell you they have done this. Unless we get people under oath, we will lose our salmon just like the east coast lost their cod.

It is immoral of the governments we elected and pay to degrade the eastern Pacific with their inattention to this. We need this fish to power our Province and this fish needs us.

Alexandra Morton

Was a great turn out, however it would have been nice to see more of you guys out there. Not just one variable that is solely responsible for the demise of our fishery. It is our joint effort however that will been taken seriously by the powers that be in our government. Attacking one issue at a time will ensure that we make a differance and impose our beleif that our wild fish are something we are unwillling to just let collapse.

We need to all join forces here to ensure the message is loud and clear. Commercial, First nations, sport, general public, we all need to set aside our differances and fight these issues together.

Man, I was impressed with the people who showed up at this rally. All walks of life were present. We all had one objective in common. Save our wild salmon!

I am glad I was there to be a part of the show. It won't stop there. I will continue to write letters to Shae Gale and let her know the importance of our resources and the wild salmon in particular and how my family depends on it's survival.

HL

I was there too and like you was impressed with the varied turnout it was good to see the native elders they are people to be taken seriously.

Could only stay about an hour but I played that stupid noisy airhorn every chance I got then gave it to some woman in a strange costume hope you enjoyed the racket. ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freshwaterlagoonnuquicw3.jpg

Right on, and I did hear that horn!!!! LOL

Afew others have told me they were in the crowd as well. Too bad we couldn't have gotten together for handshake and a few stories. Oh well. Next time. You are right, the elders that were present and representing the First Nations were very impressive. Makes it very clear that in every group, ie. commercial, sport, first nations etc that there will be loose cannons that tarnish their own by exercising less than favourable fishing practices. First Nations have taken a pretty hard hit and if others could have seen how seriously they are taking the fight to save the wild salmon they may reconsider before denouncing the entire population by making rascist remarks. All user groups have had guys that can be said to have been caught doing inexplicable things to our fish.

On a bright note, it was a great day!

I was there too. GO TO SALTWATER FISHING FORUM and topic " Vancouver Rally Oct 3 Carpool" Lots of info there. If you weren't able to come to the rally you can still help the cause . Who to e-mail and what websites have info, its there in my post. thanks, Greg

I was rather disappointed about how few people showed up. I thought there should have been thousands not a few hundreds as it seemed. And I found it was not very well organized and steered. But maybe I had my hopes up too high....

I hear you Chris!

Same deal as back a few years ago when Alan Rock and the Liberals decided to stuff gun-control (Bill C-68) up our hoops.

I was working as a bartender then and you should have heard all the moaning and complaining about the proposal from local hunters and gun collectors/shooters. Downright militant they were!

So, if memory serves, the BCWF organized a protest down at the legislature and the word was spread encouraging all to attend. I too, put up and handed out posters at the pub where I worked and dozens said they would surely be there to protest.

On the day of the protest less than 200 showed and only 1 from the bar where I worked. So, a couple of billion tax-payer dollars and a few years later we still have gun-control and not ONE verified life-saved as a result!

Sometimes I feel too many just don't listen to the few who do care.

Back