Best way to catch Rats

You are a fool!
This rat thread provides some good information and seems to mirror some real life drama. The rat Killer Mueller has been picking off the little rats using a variety of baits, hes gotten the Papadopoulous rat, Manafort rat, The Flynn Rat, the Cohen rat and now the Stone rat. A whole bunch of Russian rats have fled the scene to avoid being trapped, but as several posters here have pointed out the King Rat, the biggest nastiest, one is hardest to kill and you can't get rid of the infestation until you kill it. But the King rat lives protected in his white house, immune it seems to the normal rules of engagement. Maybe some of the good ideas here on how to kill the King rat could be employed, to rid the area of vermin and the diseases they carry.

A very creepy bunch for sure.

The Mueller trap appears to be taking the rats one by one. They will continue to fall until the King rat has no where to hide.

3 weeks later and I still haven't successfully caught this rat.... 4 traps set up. 2 big ones, 2 small ones. All the traps are set off after a couple days but no squished necks to be found.
Try just feeding it for three or four days. Then re bait the trap, making sure to put some bait under the trigger, so the rat has to physically push it aside

The only way to fly..if they get by my cat who seems to like to dine on rats and squirrels that is all I use :)

I use the Tom Cat black plastic traps and love how easy they are to set, I screw them down to a piece of 1" X 4" wood about 24" long.

The other thing I've done which is a real learning experience is install video cameras with IR night vision.

We have plenty of low cost DVR's and video cameras in stock at work so I usually setup a few cameras near the traps.

interesting to see what works and what doesn't, learning the habits of the rats and the most shocking thing was how long they take to die in those traps, they would thrash around for minutes sometimes, I guess I expected bang and dead, not so.

Has anyone used one of these types, I remember a European guy invented this rodent killing machine which was electric IIRC..

I like this idea....

I have used a version of the trap box and they work great for trap shy rats.

Also in this video is an excellent example of why it's important to feed them for a few days first (I usually do a week). Rats are naturally cautious and follow routines. My goal is to create a new routine and make them comfortable.

I disagree with his comment that the trap springs get weak. I have several traps that I have used for years and they still catch rats.

Thats a great video. One thing ive had to do when dealing with smart or "the king" rat was bait the traps without setting them. Let them come and eat a few meals first and then set it. Also ive had to use nutella a few times when they wouldn't go for peanut butter.

I have used 2 traps inside one of those plastic milk crates. Put the crate upside down and weight it with a rock or brick...keeps cats and birds out. Rats can get in but leaves them no room to dance out of the way of the bar snapping down on them. Often get 2 at a time when there are a few around, Two neighbors have chickens...need i say more?

Found out what is setting some of my traps off. Birds. I am going to put trap in wooden box. Not cool to see a bird shreaking this morning with foot slammed in trap. Not cool at all.

I have used 2 traps inside one of those plastic milk crates. Put the crate upside down and weight it with a rock or brick...keeps cats and birds out. Rats can get in but leaves them no room to dance out of the way of the bar snapping down on them. Often get 2 at a time when there are a few around, Two neighbors have chickens...need i say more?

Good idea.

Back