Best Trailer Brand, Price and Dealer

Cannonball

Looking for feedback on trailers. I am leaning on aluminum but am open to another galvanized. Boat is 21 feet so I believe the 5000lb one is the option I need.
What are the good brands and what are the ones to avoid?
Where can I get a good new trailer at a good price?
Do dealers usually do a trailer set up for your hull at no charge when you buy?

Side note: If you are looking to sell a near new (2016 or newer) trailer, PM me and let me know.
Located south island but will travel for a good price/trailer.

Your input is appreciated.

Tight lines!

I just bought a new Roadrunner from SG Power.
It came fully equipped, jack stand,winch, lights , bearing buddies etc.
you can order with bunks,rollers or a combination of both.
They will set it up , but I'm sure it would cost extra.

I have a roadrunner...while it's adequate, the best it is not! But a nicer trailer would have cost 50% more.

No service is ever free... If you get it with purchase, the price is built into the purchase price. Adjusting a trailer is easy, and best done at a boat launch so you can pull it on and off easily and see how it loads/unloads on a ramp.

I have a galvanized Roadrunner that I have a 15’ SilverStreak on. It’s made the trip to the coast to Alberta a few times with no issues and has mostly seen freshwater use. I had a 2008 tandem EZ Loader 4700lbs trailer for my Striper that I had since new until last summer when I sold it. The trailer was fine other than I hated the surge brake coupler. It always bucked when you started from a stop or hit a series of bumps no matter what I did. I think just a function of that system perhaps. It pulled fine other than than. It also had drum brakes which I know I was guilty of less than stellar maintenance on however with that said I wouldn’t wish drum brakes on my worst enemy! Not an EZ loader problem and some fault of my own but a hateful system for salt water use imo. I bought an 8500lbs Tuff Trailer for the new boat. I made the trip from Courtney to Victoria with it and then back to Mill Bay Area and all I can say is wow! It pulled like it wasn’t there and with the torsion axle and disc brakes it was a dream compared to my last trailer. But in all fairness it does also have electronic over hydraulic brakes as well but the lack of bucking and bouncing was noticeably better. Not sure how it stacks up price wise but I do know I was a little offended by the used trailer market on the island. I bought it at Bill Howich in Campbell River. They did offer to set it up after I got the boat but the builder took care of that for me for a bottle of Scotch! Lol. Good Luck!

Hi,
I just bought a 2019 aluminum I-Beam Tuff Trailer from Bill Howich Marine in Campbell River. It had to be custom ordered from Tuff Trailer in Washington, got here within a few weeks and I took delivery of it about a month ago. Awesome trailer. Howich beat all of the other prices on similar trailers hands down, not even close. Very happy with what I bought, and where I bought it from. They did all of the adjustments on the trailer to get the boat to fit on it perfectly, and it does, for no charge. Very impressed. Send me a PM if you want or need more info on this.....Pacemaker

When I posted this, I was really wondering about the Tuff trailers. (and other trailers too) Thank you guys for solidifying my thoughts. I also like that all the stuff that could go wrong is warrantied for 5 years.
Please keep the tips coming with regards to other trailers to look at, best prices on the island, and best quality trailers.
I currently have a King salt water trailer which I will be selling when I get a new one. (needs a bit of brake work)
Thank you. I love this forum!

I also have a Karavan trailer and have been quite happy about it.

Check out Express custom trailer in parksville. They build a very nice aluminum boat trailer. Solid and custom order.

I have a 2003 5800 lb Shorelandr that I bought new and have been very happy with. Disc brakes and dropped axles are standard equipment. Probably the best roller system going...let off the winch and give the hull a slight nudge and she rolls off easy. Launch and retrieve with very little of the trailer in the water. 16 years old all salt use and many years left in it

Anything but roadrunner, they are the cheapest for a reason, would never buy another one. And whatever brand you decide on go with disk brakes for sure.

Anything but roadrunner, they are the cheapest for a reason, would never buy another one. And whatever brand you decide on go with disk brakes for sure.
Oh for sure.....for equipment... Disk brakes, LED lighting, torsion axles, bearing buddies and bunks are my wants in a trailer

Nothing wrong with Roadrunner. Like anything you dip in salt.......**** breaks. I’ve had one for 12 years and never had any major issues other than maintenance. In fact, I keep hoping my drum brakes give up the ghost so I can swap out to disk. They just keep working flawlessly. Now, I wash my trailer down with fresh water every time I dip it. I’m pretty sure there’s a correlation.

Back