Best steering system for outboard to inboard?

J

Jimbo

Hey Guys, I am just trying to help set up my buddys boat for some serious salwater fishing and Just wanted some input on which steering system is best for kicker to inboard configuration? He has a yamaha t9.9 on a solid bracket and volvo duoprop leg.Ez steer seems to be the one to use but is that the only option? Thanks guys

I use the EZ-Steer. Works well. The knuckle pivots when I bring the kicker up on the mount. I can grab the tiller and steer with the kicker or with the helm.

The only downside is that if the kicker is stored in the up position and I have turned the tiller to the right so that the EZ-Steer is fully extended and then turn the IO the opposite direction, the two arms will separate. Easy enough to connect them again, but a bit of a pain.

I've run this setup for about 3 years and works great.

03012009.jpg

Not suggesting this setup is "The Best" as you've asked -- it's just what I use. IHMO "The Best" would be the TR-1 Gold autopilot with remote.

TenMile
<'((((><

If the main is hydraulic then I like adding hydraulic to the kicker and have a liquid tie bar. This allows both engines to turn together or the main on its own...all with no physical connection between the kicker and the leg.

I think the physical connection would be needed, Ten Mile, can you run with the ez steer attached and the kicker fully up? You guys know off hand what the tr 1 auto pilot vs ez stear cost is like? I think I have seen one of those units on craigslist for about $300 or so. Thanks guys

I haven't talked to anyone with one of the Tr pilots who hasn't had problems. They don't work well in really rough water...can't keep the boat straight. A true pilot that can turn the main is a better choice. Com Nav is an example. The ultimate if you want to spend the money is a Com Nav and a liquid tie bar to the kicker.

I just did something simular to what Pro is talking about but I used 2 3 way valves and a ram on the kicker.

The way I set it up I have put the lines into the 3 way valve intecepting the back helm from the main ram then the other 2 lines go to the rams one to the main motor then one to the kicker.
So what I have to do is when im stopped I just turn the valve for the kicker and now I can steer from up in the front helm or back doesnt matter. Now when I leave I just make sure the valve is turned back and vice versa I can steer from front or back again.
I got most of the fittings at coast industrial (near wille dodge)
As the baot already had the back helm it was all I had to do was get 4 lines and a ram,2 3 way valves and some fitting came in at about 500 bucks.But now I have a kick a$$ steering system and dont have to bend over to hook up that ezsteer arm which I really hated!!!!

As for having the main motor as a rudder it really doesnt matter I must admit after chatting with pro about this system I was concerned but after I took it out and tryed it there is absolutly no problem that big boat turns on a dime even in current was VERY impressed with it.
Id be more than willing to show you how I installed it if you live in Victoria???

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

one solution may be to have a independent ram on the kicker and mount a small steering wheel on the top side of the transom , you could also get the conversion kit for the tiller steering and mount the throttle next to the wheel. The DIY cost would probably be about 1500..
Sweet set up!

I USE A GOETZ HYD. STEERING SYSTEM. HAS IT'S OWN PUMP AND USES A WINCH TYPE TOGGLE SWITCH FOR STEERING. YOU CAN CONTROL FROM ANY WHERE IN THE BOAT.BOUGHT IT FROM PARKER MARINE IN NANIAMO.

quote:Originally posted by Jimbo

I think the physical connection would be needed, Ten Mile, can you run with the ez steer attached and the kicker fully up? You guys know off hand what the tr 1 auto pilot vs ez stear cost is like? I think I have seen one of those units on craigslist for about $300 or so. Thanks guys

Yes, my kicker bracket pivots up and the kicker has a trim/tilt so I can get the prop right out of the water. Only thing I have to be careful of is to make sure that the kicker isn't turned the wrong way as I mentioned above. The IO then turns freely and the EZ-Steer ratchets in and out as I turn.

For about $300 it's an inexpensive option. Not as elegant as some of the hydraulic options out there but not nearly as expensive either [8)] . I'm in Victoria if you wanted to see it as well -- just let me know.

TenMile
<'((((><

The nicest thing about the liquid tie bar is no rattling from a true tie bar connection...the old school used to drive me nuts after 10 hrs in a day. I hate noises especially rattles in the boat.

Ha ha , thanks guys, I here you about the rattles I find a little tilt from the main helps take care of that. I use that style of steering bar, very easy to click on and off. There is a slightly better one available with swivel ends which alows full tilting of the kicker or main while connected, not sure the manufacturer thjough. My buddy ordered an ez steer so he will have to find the best working condition for his unit. Thanks again guys for the input.Tight lines, Jimbo

OK So know I left the world of outboard which I had a simple solution for. But now I am attaching my kicker to inboard... Any one have any other ideas besides ez-steer? I see hydraulic but I am looking for something less than 500.00. I don't have a secondary helm.

Last edited by a moderator:
in that price range you could try this
http://www.remotetroll.com/index.php/products
or this panther T5 a little more $ I think, but pretty cool
http://www.marinetechproducts.com/pages/ElectroSteer/
Demco99 has this you could pm him for info
Personally I would keep your eyes peeled for a Tr-1 gold auto pilot
Had one on my last kicker and it was awesome with 0 issues, problems seem to arise from bad install problems
you can get wireless remote for it too, nice to plot a course on your gps and have the trolling motor follow it, or follow a depth contour
On the current boat I have a tr-1 Gladiator steering my mains and love it as well, I also have the wireless remote on it too,
nice to fish handsfree so to speak

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had ez steer, panther which was great when it wasn't broken, kinda wish I could try a tr1, but gonna install a intellisteer this week for a fraction of the price. I have a friend who recommend it. Seems pretty bomber and it is not crazy expensive. I will report back on the results.

Tr1 are great they give you more time to fish you don't have to worry about grabbing the wheel all the time.

if your handy at doing or being a bit creative or got a good bud
here's a list of things & bits that gets into wireless remote steering for not a lot of dollars
if you have a local princess auto

they do a 12 v ram 8" $70.00
http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Electric/12V-DC-8-in-Stroke-135-lb-Linear-Actuator/8489080.p

and a 50' wireless winch remote $ 90.00
you can get cheaper ones on ebay for under $20

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Winch-Centre/50-ft-Wireless-Winch-Remote-Kit/8244386.p

fix the ram to the transom and wire in the wireless remote
and for less than $100-200 and a few hours work you got your kicker under wireless control
from any where on the boat

how long the ram will last under salt conditions? but make a cover and keep it washed down after every trip
should just work as well as the panther transom product

Attachments

• 8489080.jpg
    8489080.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 313
  • 8244386.jpg
    8244386.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 316
I haven't talked to anyone with one of the Tr pilots who hasn't had problems. They don't work well in really rough water...can't keep the boat straight. A true pilot that can turn the main is a better choice. Com Nav is an example. The ultimate if you want to spend the money is a Com Nav and a liquid tie bar to the kicker.

I ran a TR1 Gold for three years on my last boat and was very pleased with the system, but, it does take a while to learn the programs. On my new boat I have the kicker connected to the main engine through which I operate a Simrad autopilot. Both main and kicker engines provide 'rudder power' which I find far more effective out at sea than just the kicker with the TR1 Gold.

I use the EZ-Steer. Works well. The knuckle pivots when I bring the kicker up on the mount. I can grab the tiller and steer with the kicker or with the helm.

The only downside is that if the kicker is stored in the up position and I have turned the tiller to the right so that the EZ-Steer is fully extended and then turn the IO the opposite direction, the two arms will separate. Easy enough to connect them again, but a bit of a pain.

I've run this setup for about 3 years and works great.

03012009.jpg

Not suggesting this setup is "The Best" as you've asked -- it's just what I use. IHMO "The Best" would be the TR-1 Gold autopilot with remote.

TenMile
<'((((><

I just got this EZ Steer going inboard to outboard... In short I can see what people are talking about.... The bracket that attaches to stern drive was petty silly to tighten on lower bolts...It will work but its not the best solution.... I am looking at tweaking this thing a little... The bar itself isn't working that great so I had to tighten the set screws down it just slides when trying to steer.Honestly I want to be able to do exact same thing I did on my outboard to outboard connection on my old boat... Get out and just connect it/disconnect it with ease. And also to be able to disconnect quickly if I want to use tiller when fighting a fish.... That sytem doesn't allow that easily...

Its not the best but at least I can control steering from front now...

Back