Best Smoker for temperature control

JWS

Crew Member
Yes...another smoker thread.

Ive recently retired an old electric smoker (Great north I think it was). It was great, except in the winter time, where it would never get hot enough. Ive read nothing but bad reviews for temperature control with propane smokers (all saying they get too hot and not great for fish). Im looking for something I can throttle down enough to smoke fish, but also have enough gusto to smoke a brisket in December, essentially having control over the temp.

Any advice/tips/opinions are appreciated, Thanks!

Yes...another smoker thread.

Ive recently retired an old electric smoker (Great north I think it was). It was great, except in the winter time, where it would never get hot enough. Ive read nothing but bad reviews for temperature control with propane smokers (all saying they get too hot and not great for fish). Im looking for something I can throttle down enough to smoke fish, but also have enough gusto to smoke a brisket in December, essentially having control over the temp.

Any advice/tips/opinions are appreciated, Thanks!
You can convert anything to thermostat controlled with the right parts. I almost went that route with my home made propane but after some tweaking with air intakes and the right sized crack in the door I saved myself some time amd money. Mine goes from 90-300. There was a great thread on a bbq/smoking forum that I was reading, unfortunately I can't recall which. Guys had full schematics using oven replacement parts. Good luck!

I have a Bradley with a cold smoke adapter for salmon, cheese etc. but enjoy my Weber Smokey Mountain for bigger chunks of meat. The Weber will heat up much easier and hold the temperature very well compared to the Bradley with larger pieces of meat. Why have only one smoker when there are so many to choose from.
I run my Weber smoker for 16 hours to do a brisket, not too hard once you learn how to manage the charcoal/ temps.

I have a Bradley with a cold smoke adapter for salmon, cheese etc. but enjoy my Weber Smokey Mountain for bigger chunks of meat. The Weber will heat up much easier and hold the temperature very well compared to the Bradley with larger pieces of meat. Why have only one smoker when there are so many to choose from.
I run my Weber smoker for 16 hours to do a brisket, not too hard once you learn how to manage the charcoal/ temps.

Haha there’s that too. I’ve got three, down from a high of 5. My little chief for smaller pan fish and kokanee and an offset smoker for doing a Chinese style bbq pork with no smoke and hi heat and then my GMG for everything else. Pellet smoker was a little pricey but it doubles as a bbq and we use it 2-3 times a week so worth the price I thought.

I was looking at the GMG a while ago, yeah it is a spendy unit.
How do you like it?
I've heard some reports that there is not as much of a smoke taste as other smokers.

Back