Best SFBC forum tips

islandboy

A thread newbies can go to for a summary of fishing tips.

The two that I found most useful this year were:
  1. bending the hook point slightly out of alignment for increased hook ups. ;)
  2. placing a swivel between the lure and the hook to keep fish from flipping off. :D

Thank you to those who posted the original tip. You know who you are. :cool:

I used to set up Buzz Bombs and Zinger's per instructions on the package. I now use a leader/swivel and beads to set them up.
As shown in the picture attached. I also bend the hook out a bit and curl the point inward. And always STICKY sharp point.

Attachments

• Buzz bomb Zinger Rig.jpg
    Buzz bomb Zinger Rig.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 116
For all newbies use the Search function before asking a question. Best mooching reel and rod or most other questions have been asked 10 times over in the last 15 years on this site. Its common sense when coming to a new forum. Thanks for the diagram John i just might try that setup

The one I have personally benefited most from is "don't be afraid to step outside your comfort zone, either for techniques or for tackle."

I grew up with a style which I now think worked best back where there were so many fish in the water you could just show them a picture of a gaff and they'd jump in your boat. By embracing different tackle and techniques, notably larger jigs and big plastic, I have both improved my fishing and minimized my bycatch of rockies etc. If I had kept on going to my original source of fishing info, I would have taken forever to get to the point I'm at now.

What type of reels are you putting these carbon drags on?
The 5 reels that I have upgraded are: Quantum Cabo 60 pts, Fin-Nor 70, Mitchell 396 and Mitchell 486, all spinning reels.
Mooching and trolling reel is a Mitchell 782. Most reels with a stacked drag pack can be upgraded. I have also upgraded a Shimano 4000 GT but it only has a single drag washer and I haven't given it a try yet to see if it has improved the drag.

The 5 reels that I have upgraded are: Quantum Cabo 60 pts, Fin-Nor 70, Mitchell 396 and Mitchell 486, all spinning reels.
Mooching and trolling reel is a Mitchell 782. Most reels with a stacked drag pack can be upgraded. I have also upgraded a Shimano 4000 GT but it only has a single drag washer and I haven't given it a try yet to see if it has improved the drag.

Thanks for the like Corey, If you are going to replace drag washers make sure you get the right thickness.. Most spinning reel washers are 1mm thick. Some other reels are
0.5mm thick. I bought 2 sheets of the carbontex in different thickness and each sheet has enough material to do about 7 reels. If you bye the drag washers pre made they can add up in price very fast.

Thanks for the like Corey, If you are going to replace drag washers make sure you get the right thickness.. Most spinning reel washers are 1mm thick. Some other reels are
0.5mm thick. I bought 2 sheets of the carbontex in different thickness and each sheet has enough material to do about 7 reels. If you bye the drag washers pre made they can add up in price very fast.
I like the idea for sure. I don't use my spinner reels near as often as I should so they don't need any work. And my trolling reels all have carbon drags already. I wasn't sure that you could switch to carbon on reels that don't come with them originally and have good results.

A thread newbies can go to for a summary of fishing tips.

The two that I found most useful this year were:
  1. bending the hook point slightly out of alignment for increased hook ups. ;)
  2. placing a swivel between the lure and the hook to keep fish from flipping off. :D

Thank you to those who posted the original tip. You know who you are. :cool:
Cool thread IB!

-Keep those hooks sharp!

-don’t overthink tackle options and keep it to a handful of tried and true favourites.(I need to do a fishing garage sale)

-fish slack currents when possible. if it’s not possible, fish whenever you can.

-book a day with @profisher.

I like the idea for sure. I don't use my spinner reels near as often as I should so they don't need any work. And my trolling reels all have carbon drags already. I wasn't sure that you could switch to carbon on reels that don't come with them originally and have good results.

It was a huge improvement on the Cabo and Fin- Nor reel. The Mitchell 782 I rebuilt had a set of drag washers that were fused together
and melted. I had to pry them all apart. I polished all of the brass drag rings and installed the carbontex and it's now like a new reel with modern drag.
I don't have any other trolling or mooching reels other than some old Peetz reels. I would think that some of the newer Mooching reels (Islander/Amundsons)
already use the carbon for their drags.

Last edited:
It was a huge improvement on the Cabo and Fin- Nor reel. The Mitchell 782 I rebuilt had a set of drag washers that were fused together
and melted. I had to pry them all apart. I polished all of the brass drag rings and installed the carbontex and it's now like a new reel with modern drag.
I don't have any other trolling or mooching reels other than some old Peetz reels. I would think that some of the newer Mooching reels (Islander/Almandson)
already use the carbon for their drags.
Yeah I use Amundsons so it already has carbon drag. And my back ups are either shimano or daiwa and one of those has carbon drags. Too early for my brain to remember which one has it.

Cool thread IB![/USER].
Thanks. I thought the 'wade through the whole forum before asking questions' comments might put off newcomers. It may be a good education but I found the search system lacking in accuracy, when it works.
Now we can post the tips we know worked here and send newbies to this thread.

Back