Best saltwater utility boat to buy?

jcon12

A question likely many have faced.. I am looking at purchasing a new (to me) boat and looking for some advice! I'll be using it to fish, overnight in the islands and explore the coast and Vancouver island fishery. I currently run a grady gulfstream but due to towing limitations it will stay in the slip.

I am willing to purchase from anywhere in north america and considering the following boats (though most are absolute unicorns)- Arima 21HT, c-dory 22 cruiser, parker 2120 and campion explorer but looking for suggestions in the 20-23' range.

$35-45k
Outboard engine
Decent fuel economy (3mpg ish+)
V berth
Sport/enclosed cabin
Decent fishing deck
Trailerable with V8 suv (4-6k lbs and 8'6" and under beam)

Thanks so much guys - appreciate the local feedback!

I like the picture of the popemobile, it looks like good visibility and ability to get of the rain for winter fishing. I have a little Arima sea explorer, which I am pleased with and I have fished on a friends Arima in the size you are looking for. It would be a nice boat, I think it would do what you want.

Im sorry sir, I didnt mean to hijack your post with my ****** boat and ****** jokes. Whats wrong with the grady white that you have now? It seems like it fits the bill for what you want, unless its over 8'6" beam?

Who are these guys talking you out of the quiver of boats!!! I think I have seen an Arima come up in that price range but it is rare. The C-Dory 22 would likely be a pre-1999 at that price range, if I remember two sold well above that in BC this summer but were 2007ish vintage. Coming from the Grady world I would really get out in a C-Dory before keeping it on your list. They are light and efficient all around boats but the ride is likely no where near as nice as the Parker or Grady. Morano 21's should be on the list, they often have the camper back!

thanks for the suggestions! The grady is actually my fathers boat and has a beam of 9'3" (also weighs close to 9k loaded up) and with the offshore bracket and pulpit reaches over 30' long. We'd have to purchase a trailer and proper truck which would get expensive fast (though probably cheaper than another boat). The grady also average 1.6 mpg when cruising on longer trips which is almost unaffordable to do on a regular basis.

Part of my drive for another boat is to have one of my own - i've used "his" stuff for most of my life and I personally prefer the autonomy over my own towns I guess.

I'm also considering a smaller (older hull) grady or a 23/25 boston whaler revenge cuddy as i'd prefer an older hull with newer power.

Can't yet decide on a skip top or a full pilot house enclosure either .. I probably need to remind myself the "perfect" boat doesn't exist!

You will be hard pressed to find a pilothouse with outboard for the budget you mentioned, unless boat without much deadrise. If a walkaround is good for you, you can't go wrong with a Pursuit 2470 which was build from 1995 to 2005 with same hull. Based on your checklist:

$35-45k - yes
Outboard engine - yes
Decent fuel economy (3mpg ish+) - yes
V berth - yes
Sport/enclosed cabin - only the v-berth, but a hardtop and side curtains help alot
Decent fishing deck - yes, very big dance floor, particularly '95 to '99 models
Trailerable with V8 suv (4-6k lbs and 8'6" and under beam) - yes, but should dress out in the 6,500 lb range (trailer, outboard, kicker, fuel, equipment)

Adding to this list:
quality construction - yes; excellent gel coat, stringer system, electrical system, and non-skid.
excellent stability & ride - yes; very big water capable
good looking - yes

I have had one and miss it, and 3 buddies have them and we all love the 2470. I recently opened my wallet for a Seasport 2400 XL outboard, and although it is a great boat, the Pursuit had a nicer ride IMHO. If you look for one, look hard this offseason on the east coast, as that is where you will find them, often cheap and with a nice aluminum trailer.

good luck to you. DAJ

You might be able to find Grady overnighter or adventure in that price range. With a hardtop they are a tidy little machine

Polar would be a nice boat minus the pilot house. That pursuit looks sweet I like the windows I dont like the oval windows on the polars or stripers. Looks ******.

buy my 22' biddison and pod it
7j2t9oe.jpg

How much?
looking for 10k, with the kicker 8 hp 4 stroke yamaha with hyd steering 12k
option with trailer as well ..
so total package $14K
its KEM/merc 4.3 V6 alpha gen 2 leg
hdy steering seastar helm
with Lowrance hook 7 chrip sonar/chartplotter with map chip
its a deep vee 20* hull with bennett trim tabs
PM if you want to know more
just had the leg gimbal/ bellows redone ...

Back