Best Rain Jacket

Ben Fougere

It's that time again. My old Taiga rain jacket is not keeping the water out like it should.

I need a new rain jacket before coho season. In you opinion, what's the best rain jacket?

Not the answer you asked for but if you want to get a little more life from your existing jacket.

I bought it at an outdoor sports store and my jacket keep me dry again

Attachments

• IMG_0507.JPG
    IMG_0507.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 81
Although its probably not the "best" there is I'm happy with my cabelas brand gortex rain coat. You can't find anything gortex for $99.

X2 on the Cabelas Gortex jackets.

I bought one 6 years ago and have been using it on the ocean and rivers year-round. Still keeps me dry. Make sure you wash it with the special detergent and spray it with the Gortex treatment.

Not the answer you asked for but if you want to get a little more life from your existing jacket.

I bought it at an outdoor sports store and my jacket keep me dry again

I thought about a treatment spray. Where do you find something like this?

Have used the Simms challenger for the season and it's been a nice addition as well as the bibs. Waterproof, high collar, good hood, lined pockets, etc.

I think this question depends on a lot of variables. There is the stuff the guides and commercial anglers wear that is 100% rainproof and durable and then there is the stuff that most recreational river and lake fishing anglers wear, like Simms, which usually is more money and IMO not 100% rainproof like the Grundens. Also depends on where you are fishing. If I’m offshore and the rain and wind is hammering sideways, you’ll wish you had the Grundens. If I’m fishing a river and I’m back in my warm cozy vehicle after fishing a few hours, I can get away with more comfortable, but less rainproof material like wading jackets. It’s kinda of a bait vs. gear, Ford vs. Chevy, braid vs. cable, kind of debate.

I've been happy with my Hodgeman Aesis rain shell. 2 full season of ocean and river use, still keep me dry and unreal for wind chill. Think its time for a preventative waterproof treatment spray tho. Half the price of Simms, I couldn't justify the simms price tag. Will buy another.

Arcteryx
Simms

Would agree on both of these. I do also like Helly Hansen's gear as well. I have a pair of the Simms offshore pants and they have been outstanding. I do wash them somewhat regularly and have treated them with a product as noted above I got at MEC if memory serves me correct. If you're going to spend the money on a higher end jacket I would encourage you to go to the manufacturer's website and read the care instructions. Just as an example with the Gore-Tex in my Simms pants you are recommended to wash in the washing machine and dry in the dryer at low heat as it apparently helps the functionality of the Gore-Tex.

Arcteryx is pricey but the warranty they provide is second to none from what I've heard from those who have had to use it.

I think BGM did hit it best as there are variables to look at. If hitting rivers and doing some hiking you may want a Helly/Arcteryx/Simms do have more breathability. In saying that you can buy the bullet proof Gruden/Helly Commercial type stuff but don't expect too much breathability.

Not sure if it’s simply a Ford vs Chevy type discussion, but more a question of what the primary use will be. As has been stated, if you’re primary use is fishing from a boat all day exposed to the extreme elements - warmth and absolute water-proofness will be your primary need and gear like grundens, Helly Hansen or some of the cabelas/basspro “guide” gear is what you’re looking for. If you’re going to be active, like wade angling and hiking to/from your fishing spots, the coated/rubberized stuff will make you sweat and you’ll end up wetter than getting rained on - that’s where breathable fabrics like goretex shine and brands like Simms, Patagonia, Arcteryx, taiga, North Face, etc provide good options.

Breathable fabrics are never 100% waterproof, but washing frequently with various DWR products helps a lot. Breathable are great so long as the water is beading and running off, as soon as it sits and soaks in, your jacket isn’t so waterproof anymore. Dirt, and especially oils, are goretex and breathable fabrics kryptonite. Spendy, but angler specific jackets like Patagonia’s “river salt” and any of Simms “G4”, “G3”, “Freestone” or “Guide”sure are nice with great pockets for gear and other features designed by anglers.

Cheers!

Ukee

Last edited:
Great replies guys.

I think I might try some treatment stuff first, as I live in the Cariboo and it doesn't rain too much here.

My main concern is the week I spend in the lowermainland chasing salmon in October. I got absolutely soaked last year.

I like the Simms jackets and front pockets, but the price does not justify spending the money unless I move to the coast. I like the idea of a rubber type jacket, but agree that we will be moving around and sweating in a less breathable jacket is simply not an option with all the great technology out there.

I might have to get another Taiga Jacket if the waterproofing spray doesn't work. It's a great jacket that I can wear even when not fishing. My only issue will be valuable time spend going into the city to buy a jacket. Maybe I'll hit up Fred's Custom Tackle or Cabelas first? Maybe Mark at Lone Butte Sporting goods has some jackets for sale and I can get one there on the way down. Too many options, yet not enough when you live in a small town.

Back