best mooching rod?

Someday

I am looking at replacing a couple of rods that have earned their retirement.. So, I would like to hear what type of mooching rods others prefer. As far as the amount I plan to spend, well, I guess it depends on how sold I am on the rod. Ball park would be $200 a rod. Looking forward to all comments. Thanks.

Shimano techniums are tried and true and great rod, and I also have and really like my fetha styx chrome salmon series

I've used some Shimano Convergences over the years and seen a couple broken clearing downrigger clips by a guest. I ended up buying a Shimano Technium I trust but also picked up a Temple Fork I really like. I never seem to hear much about them. I don't spend a ton on rods but I prefer my Temple Fork over my Technium. I would buy another.

I like rapala classic moochers I have a number of them ans they are awesome never had me fail me yet!

Someday........expect a pile of answers.;) :p I do like Techniums, have had a small issue but like them more as far as the feel than my Fenwick HMX rods. They are a great rod in the price point you are working at.

Derby was telling me about a newer one a month ago....that sounds interesting, and I think it was Amundson but don't recall the price point.

Derby was telling me about a newer one a month ago....that sounds interesting, and I think it was Amundson but don't recall the price point.

Amundson Savvy Sumo buddy. They are a great alternative to the bike parts manufacturer that's for sure :). Sure there made in China but so is Shimano stuff.

I've been running the Savvy Sumo rods from Amundson all summer and love them so far. They are in between the Shimano Convergence and the Technium. Just the ticket I was looking for.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am very happy with the custom rod kimbyote made me-I'm hard on rods and it is great-not really happy with techniums-the ceramic eyes keep failing-more than any rod I have ever owned-wouldn't buy another even though I like the feel.

Amundson Savvy Sumo buddy. They are a great alternative to the bike parts manufacturer that's for sure :). Sure there made in China but so is Shimano stuff.

I've been running the Savvy Sumo rods from Amundson all summer and love them so far. They are in between the Shimano Convergence and the Technium. Just the ticket I was looking for.;)

Agreed, I like mine too. Really good 'feel' to it. Fan of the grip (not cork but it is a durable rubberized grip - engraved with salmon on it!). Nice medium action not super stiff - One negative is that the guides I think are chafing my line a bit, but I am not sure it is actually from something else or not yet, for the price it is a great rod IMO... Also like the trophy XL! Also good but obviously not super high quality feel like you get with a $300+ dollar rod. The Amundson feels like it is worth three times more than it costs IMO.

X3. My technium and custom rods get sidelined for the classic moocher now

Yup, I have 6 of the Classic Moochers in both the medium and light. Love them. They stand up and have great action. I have 2 techniums and frankly the Classic Moocher is a way better rod in every respect.

Wow, thanks for all the input guys. I think Pippen hit it on the head.....(.Someday........expect a pile of answers. ) Yup haha
I will follow through with some good leads.
Perhaps Cabelas might have something too....
Custom? hmmmmm never thought about that..
Never hurts having too many rods..lol.
I have never seen an Amundson rod, will match my Amundson reels. Appreciate all the info. Cheers

do you want it for mooching with live bait or fishing trolling in a downrigger?

the older glass rods take some beating as there super sensitive and almost bend to the butt
and are you fishing for big west coast springs? then a rod with more back bone may be in order

i have three of the amundsons and for the money there not bad rods
but more ideal for being in the downriggers

Have been fishing with shimono convergence rods for the past 6 years and they are medium heavy. Replaced one tip that I stepped on. Good action and have done well at a reasonable price approx. $80. I got a mr3 islander reel and decided to get a shimono technium medium weight. This lighter rod sure gave a different fishing experience this season. Sure enjoyed it. My fishing buddy also has a shimono technium, but it is a heavy weighted rod. Firmer play on the fish. Price was about $160 for the technium medium rod. I guess along which a dependable rod one could also look at the fishing experience (weight) yo u want.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the Trophy Titans...I have 6 of the 4110...... No issues whatsoever....other than fish abuse ;)

Back