Best Fillet Knife

Whole in the Water

I want to upgrade the fillet knife I use at home for seafood. I'm thinking of a knife with a thin blade that holds it's edge well. I think Rapala make a pretty good one (i.e. the one with the wood handle).

What other good quality fillet knives are out there???

Long live wild salmon!!!
><))))>

I use one called the "Fisherman's Solution" from Cutco.

I have 2 of them.....and thus far have been great. They have an extendable blade (6" to 9")...a sharpening stone right on the sheath and for my uses they have held an edge very well. I have one that I have been using for about 5 years and another still unused waiting to get it's turn into service.

https://www.cutcogiftregistry.com/GiftRegWeb/showGroup.do?groupId=5721

Only thing I wish it had built in was a "spoon" on one end; but that's more so for cleaning after the catch; not so much for home use.

It seems to get pretty good customer reviews too.

http://reviews.cutco.com/8804/5721/reviews.htm

Have you hugged a Gorby today??? ;P

I have four of the Rapalas and have been using them for what seems like forever. Two 7" and two 5". They have never let me down and I can get nearly ever bit of meat off my fish. The local cats hate me. I've had three other brands of knife and keep coming back to the Rapalas. They do everything I ask of them and then some, but knives a a personal choice, like girlfriends and boats.

Extinction is Forever

Got my first Rapala a couple months ago and love it. Got it for a song at a flee market to boot.

For home fillet/processing it is perfect, great blade and a nice ergonomic wood handle.

I do 99% of my fish processing with a Frost blade. You can get them from Redden net for about 25$, really great steel and easily gets a razor sharp edge.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Frost has my vote as well! Used them commercial fishing for years.......holds an awesome edge....Trotac has them as well.

quote:Originally posted by adrianna3

Don't buy one that doesn't have a built in spoon. They're good for nothing.

I use black tape to attach a large spoon to my Frost's handle.. works like a charm.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

IMHO, ALL the ones mentioned are good!

My personal preference happens to be the Rapala 9” blade, only because the blade is long enough to go through and filet most fish with one cut. I also carry a Rapala 7” blade that I use as my everyday utility/boat knife… and I really like the balance of those knives!

FYI... you can shave with all the above knives and I really haven't seen any difference in the grade of steel or holding an edge on any of the previously listed? :)

IMHO, ALL the ones mentioned are good!

My personal preference happens to be the Rapala 9” blade, only because the blade is long enough to go through and filet most fish with one cut. I also carry a Rapala 7” blade that I use as my everyday utility/boat knife… and I really like the balance of those knives!

FYI... you can shave with all the above knives and I really haven't seen any difference in the grade of steel or holding an edge on any of the previously listed? :)

Been using a Rapala 7 in for a few years and really like it. It sharpens quite easily, but would like to get 9in blade, figure it would be nicer on big halibut. Might have to try out one of these Frost blades.

Yak

Been using a Rapala 7 in for a few years and really like it. It sharpens quite easily, but would like to get 9in blade, figure it would be nicer on big halibut. Might have to try out one of these Frost blades.

Yak

My frost is not sharp enough until I can shave with it, most of the hair is off of my forearms by the time the season is over.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

My frost is not sharp enough until I can shave with it, most of the hair is off of my forearms by the time the season is over.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

I use a 18-20inch Frost butcher knife. I love it. Cost me about $60 but I have had it for 10 or more years and it holds an edge sharp enough to shave with. That is my fillet knife. Any old knife can be used as a gutter blade but for filleting my fish my butcher knife comes out.

I use a 18-20inch Frost butcher knife. I love it. Cost me about $60 but I have had it for 10 or more years and it holds an edge sharp enough to shave with. That is my fillet knife. Any old knife can be used as a gutter blade but for filleting my fish my butcher knife comes out.

quote:Originally posted by Island Fish Lifter

This is not a personal grooming thread....please go start your own thread. [:p]

Have you hugged a Gorby today??? ;P

Back