Best Filet Knife Sharpener???

TenMile

So what do you guys use to keep your filet knives sharp -- really sharp???

I've tried using the small v-shaped ceramic sharpeners -- they are just OK for a tuneup, but don't work well if the knife edge is rough.

I have a sharpening stone, which works well, but I don't use it enough to become an expert and have to watch YouTube each season to get something close to a technique that works. For me, I don't find I can do a great job with the stone so looking for something a bit more idiot-proof.

Just purchased one of these guys on Amazon for $40 -- gets good reviews and much less expensive than an electric sharpener. Looks like it will work on my filet knives and I can use it to tune up our pathetic drawer of kitchen knives including serrated ones. Have not tested it yet however as it has not yet shipped... (link here)
71HigJw0QJL._SL1500_.jpg
Anyone have a product that is simple to use and gets a super sharp edge?

Personally I like those little steel cylinders that have a pen-clip on them and the inner part is a diamond-grit coated shaft that slides out and is held tight in place when extended by the collar ferrule.

I can get a wicked edge with them.......

I just bought a new one the other day but I have one that is ten years old and the diamond grit is all worn off...but for some reason that one still works really well still.........

You need a better quality stone-like this http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=32455&cat=1,43072,67175,67177

60m4001s1c.jpg

Those pull through gimmicks only do a so/so a job.

I gave up on the manual ones, the Chef's choice electric is great

Attachments

• chefs choice.jpg
    chefs choice.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 990
I find the quick sharpen tools do a terrible job.

Nothing beats a knife sharpened on a good quality stone. They get wicked sharp and stay sharp much longer.

http://www.paulsfinest.com/Chef-s-Choice-Model-120-EdgeSelect-Electric-Knife-Sharpener-Black.html

I use the one above and have so for 10 years or so. Still using my first one. I use all kinds of knives in this and it does cheap knives just fine. Just make sure your knives are very clean and dry before you run them through the machine and always dry your knives after use to avoid pitting the edge. And don't run them through a dishwasher. The seller above seemed to have the best price too.
The one thing it does not sharpen is very large hunting knives that are thick. Still though all my hunting knives fit in mine but none of mine are huge.

Thanks for the feedback guys -- cancelled my order for the manual sharpener as delivery wasn't scheduled until mid-Aug. Ordered the model 130 from the link above -- it was $5 more than the 120 and sharpens a broader range of knives. Ordered at roughly 8am, and received a Canada Post notification of shipment by 930 (fast)...

I got my 130 from Santa. :) Can't tell you how many knifes I have now sharpened for friends and family now. Some have even bought their own units since seeing how well mine works.

I do about 3-4 passes in slot 1 to set a new edge on the blade. You can hear a change in the grind when its ready to move to the next slot.

Then 2-3 passes in slot 3

And finish in slot 2 which is just a steel

Dam they come out sharp. Even sharpens serrated knifes in slot 3

I got my 130 from Santa. :) Can't tell you how many knifes I have now sharpened for friends and family now. Some have even bought their own units since seeing how well mine works.

I do about 3-4 passes in slot 1 to set a new edge on the blade. You can hear a change in the grind when its ready to move to the next slot.

Then 2-3 passes in slot 3

And finish in slot 2 which is just a steel

Dam they come out sharp. Even sharpens serrated knifes in slot 3

From what I understand if the 130 is like my 120 #1 is a corse diamond wheel and #2 is a fine diamond wheel then #3 is a super fine rubber stroop wheel where you finish the knives edge for the sharpness of a razor. I find that once I have introduced a knife to the machine I rarely have to go back to #1. Only 2 or 3 swipes in #2 followed with 2 swipes(per-side) in #3. Maybe the 130 is totally different than my 120 but I can't see why it would be. One thing for sure, if you want your unit to last you must only use very clean knives for if you plug the diamond cutters with goo your unit is toast. It will not work. If you want your edges to last on any knife you must dry them after use or they the edges will pit and you will be grinding off allot of metal to recover them.
This unit is so good that I do not worry about having high end knives because I just don't need them any more. I do have some nice knives tho still where the edge does last a bit longer.
You WILL NOT be disappointed. Good choice and Pauls place is a good seller for sure!

Ordered a 130 off fleabay for 129.00 us and free shipping,
I'll pop down to the po box next week and pick it up
usually just use a good steel, but after all the good reviews I'll giver her a whirl on the cheap knives to start

Got the sharpener today and went at it with our cheapy house knives. They are scary sharp now. I've just finished doing up a large batch of cold smoked salmon and with a small paring knife, I can now cut the salmon to restaurant grade thinness that you can almost see through. I can even do the "pull through paper" trick now.

I found that running them slowly through Stage 1 at least 10x per side really cleaned up the edge -- some of the knives in our drawer were brutal. Using the Steeled Edge Stage 2 process after Stage 1 on butcher knives etc really gives them a super sharp bite. Thinking I should set up a Knife Sharpening Stand on the dock :)

Will take the sharpener to the boat with me next time I go. I have about 6 filet knives that need a big treatment.

Back