Best electric over hydraulic actuator

big.griff

I am looking at converting my surge brake trailer over to electric over hydraulic. Just looking for opinions on actuators. I think the main players are Dexter, Titan and Carlisle. Any good or bad experiences with these or others. This will be going on a disc brake trailer.

I converted an older Ezloader to a Titan and never had an issue the few years I had it. Unfortunately trailer got wasted in an accident while towing. My newer EZloader came with a Hydrastar and I have not had any issues with it the last 4 years. Once you convert you will wonder why you didn’t do it sooner. The ease of backing up a heavy trailer is so nice and the braking ability has probably saved me from rear ending several people that have decided to pull out in front of me last minute.

Only thing to look out for is the battery on them can go dead if you let you trailer sit much. Not a huge deal as they are just there to actuate the brakes in the event of your trailer coming apart from your tow vehicle. I don’t worry much as it would be darn near impossible for my trailer to become detached from my tow vehicle with the safety chains and class V receiver I have on my truck and trailer.

Thanks. Going to call around today and see availability on the different brands. Online reviews are tough to decipher, some say each brand is great while others say junk. Figure it’ll be right around the $1000 mark for any of them.

Trailer isn’t really heavy but have had 2 backup solenoids crap out in 5 years on my surge setup and I’m sure the braking will be greatly improved.

I converted an older Ezloader to a Titan and never had an issue the few years I had it. Unfortunately trailer got wasted in an accident while towing. My newer EZloader came with a Hydrastar and I have not had any issues with it the last 4 years. Once you convert you will wonder why you didn’t do it sooner. The ease of backing up a heavy trailer is so nice and the braking ability has probably saved me from rear ending several people that have decided to pull out in front of me last minute.

Only thing to look out for is the battery on them can go dead if you let you trailer sit much. Not a huge deal as they are just there to actuate the brakes in the event of your trailer coming apart from your tow vehicle. I don’t worry much as it would be darn near impossible for my trailer to become detached from my tow vehicle with the safety chains and class V receiver I have on my truck and trailer.

Back