Best deep Cycle Battery?????

Fish Nutz

Hello all, as the new fishig season approaches I am in need of a new deep cycle battery for my boat. Just wondering if anybody has any input on any brands they would not buy again, or ones they absolutley love.

Thanks

FN

quote:Originally posted by Fish Nutz

Hello all, as the new fishig season approaches I am in need of a new deep cycle battery for my boat. Just wondering if anybody has any input on any brands they would not buy again, or ones they absolutley love.

Thanks

FN

Brand wise, Federal, and the Sears DieHard makes a good product. Just avoid store brands such as Canadian Tire, Wal-Mart, Costco etc.

Also, be sure to specify a "Marine" battery. They are built to withstand the vibration in boats. Lesser batteries can break under those conditions.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

On the Striper Owners Club, one of the moderators recommends the "Type 27 Dual Purpose Battery" from Costco. They are made by Johnson Controls and are supposed to be the best bang for the buck. I can't find them on Costco.ca so not sure they are in the stores here.

Apparently Westmarine and Sears have the best warranty available -- Sears is 3 years, not pro-rated -- complete replacement.

http://www.marine-electronics.net/te..._faq/b_faq.htm

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm

AGM batteries are the ones recommended for Marine use as they can take the vibration and the 14V output from your alternator that can ruin some Gel batteries.

TenMile
<'((((><

http://www.marine-electronics.net/techarticle/battery_faq/b_faq.htm

image002.gif
image003.gif

quote:4.2. Type

Car batteries are especially designed for high initial cranking amps (usually 200 to 400 amps for five to 15 seconds) to start a car and for shallow (10% or less) discharges. They are not designed for deep cycle discharges. Deep cycle (and marine) batteries are designed for prolonged discharges at lower current and not for high current discharges. The plates in a car battery are more porous and thinner than in deep cycle batteries and use sponges or expanded metal grids instead of solid lead. A deep cycle battery will typically outlast two to ten car batteries when used in deep cycle applications. In warm weather, starting an engine will typically consume less that 5% of a car battery's capacity. In contrast, deep cycle (or marine) batteries are used for applications that will consume between 20 and 80% of the battery's capacity.

A dual or starting marine battery is a compromise between a car and a deep cycle battery that is specially designed for marine applications. A deep cycle or dual marine battery will work as a starting battery if it can produce enough current to start the engine, but not as well as a car battery. For saltwater applications, AGM or gel cell batteries are highly recommended to prevent chorine gas.

For RVs, a car battery is normally used to start the engine and a deep cycle battery is used to power the RV accessories. The batteries are connected to a diode isolator. When the RV's charging system is running, both batteries are automatically recharged. An excellent and easy to understand free booklet on multi-battery applications, Introduction to Batteries and Charging Systems, can be obtained by calling (800) 845-6269 or (503) 692-5360.

The two most common types of deep cycle batteries are flooded (also known as wet or liquid electrolyte) cell and valve regulated (VR). These types are divided into Marine and RV batteries. There are 50% depth-of-discharge limits and sponge lead plates batteries, and there are the more expensive Deep Cycle (traction and stationary) batteries with 80% depth-of-discharge limits, solid lead plates, and longer lives.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

I went down to Interstate Battery and got a price on two new DC27 600 CCA,750 MCA deep cycle batteries and for 2 of them with all taxes included came to $338.00. More then I wanted to spend but felt if there was ever a time to not cheap out, this was it. The last thing I want is to be out fishing with no power to work the downriggers and worse yet, to start the motors so I was just about to say yes when one of the workers who was outback came in and was listening to us talking and told me that they just got in two batteries that were less then a year old and still under warranty that he would sell me for $54.00 each. Now there was a problem.... in my eyes, you get what you pay for so I was a little leary about buying them. After about 5 or 10 minutes everyone who works there had come over and they all said these batteries were "like" new and would last as long as the new ones I wanted to buy would.... so I bought them instead. I'm hoping I didn't make a mistake by buying the used ones. I headed home with a smile on my face for saving $200.00 and when I went to take out the two batteries that came with the boat last year it turns out that one of the power wires was loose and that might have been the reason for having the batteries fail on me the last few times out. The symptoms were: battery one.... too dead to run downrigger. Battery two: too dead to run downriggers. Switch to both batteries and everything worked. I charged them both up while they were installed in the boat but the battery charger said that they would only charge to 65%. I better check my charging unit on the main motor. After changing the batteries I brought the two old ones in to the workshop to charge them up and this time both batteries charged up to 100% so now I have a complete set of spare batteries and the date on them was from April of last year so the batteries I took out(Kirklands) of the boat are less then a year old. That will teach me to not check things over good enough before assuming the batteries needed to be replaced.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!

I went down to Interstate Battery and got a price on two new DC27 600 CCA,750 MCA deep cycle batteries and for 2 of them with all taxes included came to $338.00. More then I wanted to spend but felt if there was ever a time to not cheap out, this was it. The last thing I want is to be out fishing with no power to work the downriggers and worse yet, to start the motors so I was just about to say yes when one of the workers who was outback came in and was listening to us talking and told me that they just got in two batteries that were less then a year old and still under warranty that he would sell me for $54.00 each. Now there was a problem.... in my eyes, you get what you pay for so I was a little leary about buying them. After about 5 or 10 minutes everyone who works there had come over and they all said these batteries were "like" new and would last as long as the new ones I wanted to buy would.... so I bought them instead. I'm hoping I didn't make a mistake by buying the used ones. I headed home with a smile on my face for saving $200.00 and when I went to take out the two batteries that came with the boat last year it turns out that one of the power wires was loose and that might have been the reason for having the batteries fail on me the last few times out. The symptoms were: battery one.... too dead to run downrigger. Battery two: too dead to run downriggers. Switch to both batteries and everything worked. I charged them both up while they were installed in the boat but the battery charger said that they would only charge to 65%. I better check my charging unit on the main motor. After changing the batteries I brought the two old ones in to the workshop to charge them up and this time both batteries charged up to 100% so now I have a complete set of spare batteries and the date on them was from April of last year so the batteries I took out(Kirklands) of the boat are less then a year old. That will teach me to not check things over good enough before assuming the batteries needed to be replaced.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!

Wes, I would suggest putting 2 batteries and run them through a switch. If you use 'em right youll never get stuck with a dead batt.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Wes, I would suggest putting 2 batteries and run them through a switch. If you use 'em right youll never get stuck with a dead batt.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Hey Dave, yeah i've thought about it. Once I get back goin steady i probably will but for now i'll probably just do the one. Do u have a preference?

Hey Dave, yeah i've thought about it. Once I get back goin steady i probably will but for now i'll probably just do the one. Do u have a preference?

By far and away the best deep cycle batteries are like this 1..Stinger ,SP2150 Power2 Dry Cell Battery, 2150 Cranking amps!! It offers staggering high current capability, superior fast recharge rate, and true deep cycle operation, this Dry Cell battery allows complete discharge with no negative effects.

Take only what you need.

I have carried a 12V power pack for 6 years now in the cuddy cabin never had to use it but its there in case you need to fire up the main power.
Just a thought.

AL

I always carry as 12V jumper pack. Have yet the need to use it on my boat (as I have dual batteries and my kicker is electric and pull start so I can pretty much always make power) but I have used it a number of times on other peoples. Both at the dock/ramp and out fishing. good karma.

For those with the 12V Jumper Packs, how long do they hold the charge before they have to be recharged?

Back