Bertram/Lynwood - What Do I Own!?!?

Matthias

Hi everyone,.

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on the whole Bertram/Lynwood scenario. I'm trying to figure out what kind of boat I own (I purchased it as Bertram, it was advertised as so, and has the Berty emblem on both sides.) I just had it surveyed, and the guy said he thought it was a Lynwood.
I've read in other forums that they made some Bertram and Lynwood models are SIMILAR, but not the same?? Did the two manufacturers collaborate on any models?? I wasn't able to find any further clarification online!
picture of my boat is below. Any insight is helpful. 190817_VCC_0685.jpg 190817_VCC_0692.jpg

The 25 Bertram hull had a distinctive transom with a flat area for the outdrives ,the main transom is curved.I've personally never seen that side window setup like yours on a Bertram.I worked at Canoe Cove in the "70"s and they had the hull and deck molds for the 20 and the 25. They didn't make very many but it could be one of their's too,they used the "Bertram" chrome names on them.Either way you've got a great riding hull that has a super DeepV from front to back.Their fuel thirsty though.

we chatted at the classic derby
this is now my berty
shame on photobucket shading it out ....

anyways i found my hull Number
in the transom area port side #254 -95 // 1964
bertram yachts whittaker corp....

berty%2025%20maggy.png

Last edited:
The 25 Bertram hull had a distinctive transom with a flat area for the outdrives ,the main transom is curved.I've personally never seen that side window setup like yours on a Bertram.I worked at Canoe Cove in the "70"s and they had the hull and deck molds for the 20 and the 25. They didn't make very many but it could be one of their's too,they used the "Bertram" chrome names on them.Either way you've got a great riding hull that has a super DeepV from front to back.Their fuel thirsty though.

Thanks Rayvon,
This boat does indeed have a curved transome. I know this because when I built the kicker bracket I had to get the curve radius just right. I think the previous owner did some mods to the main cabin which might explain the windows.

Either I appreciate the reply!

Im guessing it was a Bert hull designed by Ray Hunt and used and built by lynwood. Ray Hunt designed a number of hulls for other builders besides Bertram that were almost copies of the bertram design. Have seen a number of other brands that had Bertram hull designs. What length is that? Should be a tank either way!

Im guessing it was a Bert hull designed by Ray Hunt and used and built by lynwood. Ray Hunt designed a number of hulls for other builders besides Bertram that were almost copies of the bertram design. Have seen a number of other brands that had Bertram hull designs. What length is that? Should be a tank either way!

Yes, I researched this quite a bit as well and your looks to be a Lynwood built boat at Canoe Cove.

Ahh ok the story is starting to come together.
She’s a 25ft with a 10ft beam that I for sure feel on the water.

you should be able to know from the hin number, each manufacture has there own 3 letters starting the hin number

Lynnwood was a builder out of Fort Langley and my understanding is that they built licensed Bertram hulls. I'm just repeating what I've heard from a guy I know that owns a 20' and generally I am reluctant to pass on secondhand unverified information so don't take it as gospel, but the Lynnwoods I have seen have looked to be Bertram hulls. I have also seen Bertram listed as the designer on boats manufactured by Lynnwood, so at a glance I would say the information roughly checks out.

I am not at all a Bertram expert but your roofline does not look like any B25 I am familiar with, and the badges are not where I would expect to see them which either means that it's a model I don't know about (totally possible) or they were stuck on later.

Why did the surveyor think it was a Lynnwood?

Thanks for all the feedback guys.. definitely more than i expected.. awesome!!
I can't find the HIN, and there wasn't one listed on the transfer of ownership papers, or on the surveyors report when I purchased it over 10 years ago, so putting all this together i'm thinking that it is a Bertram hull, made by Lynnwood.

I'm not sure why the surveyor thought it was a Lynwood, i wasn't with him at the time, but i'll follow up with him.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.. definitely more than i expected.. awesome!!
I can't find the HIN, and there wasn't one listed on the transfer of ownership papers, or on the surveyors report when I purchased it over 10 years ago, so putting all this together i'm thinking that it is a Bertram hull, made by Lynnwood.

I'm not sure why the surveyor thought it was a Lynwood, i wasn't with him at the time, but i'll follow up with him.

... I think you are correct ;) either way ya gots a nice boat :D LOL

Back