Bennett Trim Tabs

I installed a set of 12x9 Bennet Bolt (Electric) Trim Tabs on my 17.5’ Double Eagle Project, and also installed the auto-retract and indicator switch. I found the electric trim tab system and switch install was super easy and the instructions were straight forward.

I went with electrics for simplicity, because there’s no requirement to install a separate electrically powered hydraulic pump, no system bleeding required, and no messy hydraulic oils to have to deal with.

My thoughts were - if you’re required to install an electrically powered hydraulic pump, why not just go completely electric, and forget the hydraulics.

On the water, these tabs work quickly, and are very, very effective. On shutdown, the tabs automatically retract to the full up position to get them out of the way when putting the boat back onto the trailer.

These are, IMO, well worth checking these out at Bennetttrimtabs.com

Good luck!

I have the same ones on my boat (and had similar ones on my old boat). That unit appears to be the correct size for you boat and should work great. Bennett has been making trim tabs for a long time.

Put them on my former boat, an '03 542 and completely changed the ride characteristics of the boat - in a very positive way!

Thanks, guys. Any particular reason why you guys picked hydraulic over the electric BOLT system? Initial price point on the hydraulic one is a bit lower and that's mainly because you'll need to buy the controller switch separately. But to Stephen's point above, is there more work/cost for maintenance with the Hydraulic tabs?

I installed a set of 12x9 Bennet Bolt (Electric) Trim Tabs on my 17.5’ Double Eagle Project, and also installed the auto-retract and indicator switch. I found the electric trim tab system and switch install was super easy and the instructions were straight forward.

I went with electrics for simplicity, because there’s no requirement to install a separate electrically powered hydraulic pump, no system bleeding required, and no messy hydraulic oils to have to deal with.

My thoughts were - if you’re required to install an electrically powered hydraulic pump, why not just go completely electric, and forget the hydraulics.

On the water, these tabs work quickly, and are very, very effective. On shutdown, the tabs automatically retract to the full up position to get them out of the way when putting the boat back onto the trailer.

These are, IMO, well worth checking these out at Bennetttrimtabs.com

Good luck!
Just in the process of installing a set of these. X2 on these comments and the components seem extremely well built!

I installed these same ones on my 542 a few years ago, they are awesome , I wouldn’t run a boat without them.

I had mine installed a number of years ago ('06 IIRC) and I'm not sure if the electric version was available then. Willemar marine (then) didn't suggest electrics as an option in any event.

Bennett has great customer service as well. One of my switches broke (My system was 9-years old at the time) contacted Bennett about the issue, they asked me to mail old switch to their location and shipped me out a brand new one free of charge! Thank you Bennett!!

BCRingo, do you have a swim grid on your starboard side? Mine does and has delayed my install. Bigger job than I planned on. May have to cut into the grid. Seahorse doesn't appear to have a swim grid so it's a much easier job.

Hey baddog; yes, I do have a swim grid. Thanks for the headsup. I never thought of the grid. What’s the main issue for your installation? I’ve seen a fcouple of 542s in my marina and there seems to be a few inches of gap between the actuator and the swim platform.

For those who have done it, did u guys observe any safety issues to swimers b/c of the tabs and the sharp blades? My kids r going to be using the swim ladder on occasional trips to local lakes.

Last edited:
My swim grid had to be notched a bit to get the top of the actuator to fit. I didn’t do the install myself so I don’t know how it was done. I seem to recall there was lots of room between the ladder and the tab. Shouldn’t be an issue for the kids.

I bought the Bolt electric trim tabs. I figured it would be a much easier install not having to deal with the hydraulics. Not sure if the actuator is larger on them or not. In any event when I was scoping out the job I realized the swim grid will be in the way of the actuator unless it gets notched out. As Bigbruce said, his needed to be notched. Shouldn't be a huge job, I just wasn't prepared for that part. Another day.

I have the same/similar trim tabs on my 18 footer, they came with the boat I purchased 14 years ago and have never given me any problems. I highly recommend them.

Back