below deck fuel tank

montymbad

Just got into the area around the fuel tank on my 18.5' double eagle, and it stinks of fuel. I know the tank was replaced 10 years ago because it was leaking. And the boat has sat for 8 years. I am thinking of replacing the tank with a poly tank. anythoughts? Also the fittings for the fuel to come out are on the bottom of the tank, I figure that is a no no....if the fitting ever failed the fuel would leak out into the boat. am I right? thanks.

Ryan

You do not want fittings in the bottom of the tank, they are a no-no. As far as a poly tank goes, you will be looking at a very high cost, I looked into them for my rig and could get aluminium for nearly half the price.

An aluminium tank installed correctly will last forever! Get ahold of Doug at DSS Welding in Duncan for one, he has done all sorts of work for me, and I have been happy with all of it. 250 715 1159.

And read here for a bit more on an aluminium tank:

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/fueltank.htm

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

I got a little more look at the tank the fittings arent on the bottom they are on the side....but near the bottom of the tank. still same prob I think....I will call my local machine shop about a tank as Im up north. Any idea what thickness the tank should be if its aluminum? thanks
Ryan

I think mine is 3/16 and all the vent hose bibs, filler neck and sending unit mount are on top where they should be.

Back