Beach Journal 2018

O_clarki, an out of the box solution, assuming the centerpin rod used by Gil is what you’re after is to talk to a rod builder:

quickest/cheapest solution would be to have them strip off the first two guides and replace w/ spinning rod guides. This is pretty simple to do and something rod builders routinely do as modern guide often have the ceramic insert crack or pop out.

Second solution is that they could find you the exact, or very similar, blank and build custom as a spinning, rather than a centerpin rod, that way not only would the guides be proper, so would the handles. Bonus is you could choose the quality of all the components, custom colour wraps, etc.

Just a couple options as I agree with you, using a rod for a significantly different type of reel and casting doesn’t come w/o trade-offs.

Cheers!

Ukee

Thanks for the replies.

Treblig, your experience with the Kudo Strategy notwithstanding, I am a little reluctant to purchase a rod to do something that it's not designed for. Again, my question/concern about the difference in the guides closest to the reel. However I have read on another forum "The spinning reel casting rod combo is not ideal unless using a long rod and small spool reel" and that may be the difference in this situation.

You are correct the Shimano 2000 is only 9 ounces perfect for 13-foot rods with small guides. I have used this rod for 4 years without any issue on the river and on the beaches. Remember the whole reel seat slides. That is why I reset it for center pinning and then readjust for spinning. Ukee-dreamin is correct if you want to build your own. Actually, Raven Tackle still has available the im9 blank. I believe you can order it through CenterPin angling co.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, Ukee. I mulling the same two options, but it did seem a shame to buy something brand spanking new and then turn around and modify it.

Thanks for the idea of the Raven blank, Treblig. Excellent suggestion.

Think I will give this a bit more thought and look into it for a mid-summer birthday gift instead.

Back