Beach Journal 2018

I’ve always found your beach fishing journal to be epic Treblig. I’ve always wanted to catch quality salmon off the beaches as you do,but opportunities seem to be somewhat limited in the South Island area.

That being said, a Saturday night beach date with the girlfriend quickly turned into me running back to my truck hoping I had a fishing rod, as we watched salmon jump meters off a local beach.

In a few hours as I watched multiple species of salmon dance, I was rewarded with a pair of fairly dark & mature springs that aggressively chased down spoons and a pair of bright shiny coho-all released to continue there journey wherever they may end up. One of the coolest and most unexpected fishing experiences I’ve ever had.

Ha Ha, I hope your GF was OK with you turning her beach date into a fishing trip! ;>)

good post SpringFever552....seems odd to me that previous posts infer the importance of sharing and supporting people in their
beach fishing endeavours...now suddenly "the no info wall goes up"...simple call to DFO or map checking clearing indicates the "secret".

Come-on....can't be open then closed to suit a small audience...either all in or not....

good post SpringFever552....seems odd to me that previous posts infer the importance of sharing and supporting people in their
beach fishing endeavours...now suddenly "the no info wall goes up"...simple call to DFO or map checking clearing indicates the "secret".

Come-on....can't be open then closed to suit a small audience...either all in or not....
He can post or not post whatever he wants. @treblig has been very generous with his knowledge about beach fishing. He’s been taking nothing but **** for not sharing enough, then sharing too much, not to mention Taking too many salmon. If you don’t like this thread don’t follow it anymore. I don’t think your 3 all time posts have helped anybody all that much.
Rant over.
Treblig please keep it up. Many people appreciate your skills.

Or you can appreciate Treblig's posts, get inspired and get out there and find some spots for yourself (or do your own research)...thats part of the fun. If its that easy to figure out why do you need to be spoon fed?

;)

Sure you can....when did you start making the rules.....I'll share lots but won't share prawn or crab spots on a public forum. With a quick look at the regs anyone could have figured out what was posted on 1 clipped/1 not.

Also.....don't think for a minute this is a "small audience"; as I type this there are 34 members online and 67 guests. 100 people online viewing the forum and 1/3 are members; that's relatively high for the ratio of members to guests. ;);)

Are you "open or closed"? Given your 3 posts on the forum (2 prior to the one above)....I think that's answered. :p If not 100% open and willfully sharing info you don't really have a leg to stand on. ;)

Last edited:
Great posts treblig
Keep on fishing and posting pics of your adventures!

Fisheries notices are just a quick search away for people looking for open and closed areas

No i would not give up waypoints to anyone but closest friends:p

But remember there are river mouth closures From DFO:

Area 14 River Mouth Closures In Subareas 14-11 and 14-14, the tidal waters within a 75 m radius of the mouth of the Trent River, the mouth of Hart (Washer) Creek and the mouth of Mallard Creek.

Very important to know what beach is open. 14-11 cover alot of beaches and some accessable only with permission on private property. Its ok to say 14-11. That would be like saying fishng is great at the fingers, or the hump, or french creek
It also on the timming and the tides that those beaches turn on. They are not always active the same every year. I wish all the best to those that put in the time and do the hunt.

Last edited:
Very important to know what beach is open. 14-11 cover alot of beaches and some accessable only with permission on private property. Its ok to say 14-11. That would be like saying fishng is great at the fingers, or the hump, or french creek
It also on the timming and the tides that those beaches turn on. They are not always active the same every year. I wish all the best to those that put in the time and do the hunt.

I put in my time this year and found a couple nice little schools of coho which my dad and I fished for a few days. You also found these fish and subsequently made a post about it. The very next day there were 5 boats and countless beach fishermen. Now you would like to keep this beach a secret to avoid this type of thing from happening ?? SMH. Just letting you know that while there are many people on this forum that may appreciate your info, there are just as many or more out there that don’t, for the very same reason you are not sharing your last successful spot.

Beach Journal October 25 2018

With the heavy rain that occurred four day ago we knew the beaches would not be very active. Also we are nearing the end of the season. Sometime we can fish till mid November but if heavy rains occur and the rivers and stream get high most salmon shoot up.

Today we could not leave till 11am so we ventured to a local area . As we approached there is lots of anglers vehicles but some are already getting ready to leave. That must have been the morning shift hahaha. We could see salmon jumping in front of five fly anglers. No activity anywhere else. I decided to do a walk taking the binoculars with me. As I turn the corner I scan south and just as I brought the binoculars to my eyes I caught a glimpse of a salmon in mid jump. Not sure if I was imaging it I continued to scan and saw three more salmon jump. I look around five anglers leaving with the other five anglers fishing their own school. No one sees them. Slowly going back to the Jeep trying not to make any attention to my self and I tell the others to gear up and we are doing a good long walk.

When we arrived I noticed two fly anglers sitting on a log watching the salmon. The salmon was out of reach for them. They would have to be very deep wading. I guess they were waiting for them to come in to there reach. But they were not out of reach for our ultra light gear. Feeling a little guilty (just a little) I mentioned to the others lets move slightly past them. I couldn’t believe the amount of salmon still but knowing often they were lockjaws. We could see chum salmon among them. Using croc spoons 3/8 ounce gold hammered with an orange stripe we were able to get three of them. No other lure we tried would work after that. To bad I lost the More- Silda lure (to a large buck coho the other day) as I think I would have caught a few more. Again it all in the timing I guess.

Winds were very strong coming from the south; waves high, very cold 3 degrees. The tide was dropping but it was a high low so about a 10 foot low.

To review the gear we are using. We use thirteen-foot rod designed for ultra lite gear but with the backbone to handle heavy fish. So the rod line weights is 10 – 20 pound, lure weights ¼- 1 ounce. We use 8-pound line for our main line and 12 pound 4 feet fluorocarbon as our leader. Using this line we often will only get one to three uses out it then we replace it. It all depends if we are using spinners and they twist the line a lot. I replace only the top third of the spool of line.

Attachments

• PA260013.jpeg
    PA260013.jpeg
    414.9 KB · Views: 57
  • PA260015.jpeg
    PA260015.jpeg
    467.2 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I put in my time this year and found a couple nice little schools of coho which my dad and I fished for a few days. You also found these fish and subsequently made a post about it. The very next day there were 5 boats and countless beach fishermen. Now you would like to keep this beach a secret to avoid this type of thing from happening ?? SMH. Just letting you know that while there are many people on this forum that may appreciate your info, there are just as many or more out there that don’t, for the very same reason you are not sharing your last successful spot.

Sorry dude, but if you don't like the posts on this forum, go find another one. This is called the fishing Reports page. There are plenty of beaches on the island for everyone. Weather, tides, current, time of day or year all play a role. We all put in our time one way or another

I find this report kinda funny because you have obviously been following treblig as a guest on this forum. You were happy to use the information and follow the blog till it interrupted your fishing.

So how was it that anglers knew where ( what beach) I fished , especially when I didn't say location. Another member posted zone 14-11 , thats OK but again thats allot of beaches to cover . This beach you're referring to is well known to gear and fly anglers and there other forums that share. If it wasn't for the support of members I too would have stoped posting as it saddens me to always be the blame.

There are so many elements that need to occur before success. I admit I have a higher catch rate but that because of the ultra lite gear, all the varous lures, lady luck , knowledge , weather , timing and I put in the time to hunt.

Now if your not on good terms with lady luck what can I say. We, other day traveled over 1 1/2 hours hunting. Seeing many other vehicles with angler doing the same thing. We drove by a spot were I voiced that I think I saw signs of salmon moving. I wasn't driving so we continued. with no success finding them. So we back tracked and I mentioned lets go by that spot were I thought I saw some activity. We got there and there was two other vehicles looking for salmon also. I said stay in the car till they move. When they moved away we drove by slowly approaching the area near where the other vehicles were and lady luck decided to tickle a coho to jump..... lady luck love her . This adventure will be the next posting later to follow

Last edited:
Beach Journal October 25 2018

With the heavy rain that occurred four day ago we knew the beaches would not be very active. Also we are nearing the end of the season. Sometime we can fish till mid November but if heavy rains occur and the rivers and stream get high most salmon shoot up.

Today we could not leave till 11am so we ventured to a local area . As we approached there is lots of anglers vehicles but some are already getting ready to leave. That must have been the morning shift hahaha. We could see salmon jumping in front of five fly anglers. No activity anywhere else. I decided to do a walk taking the binoculars with me. As I turn the corner I scan south and just as I brought the binoculars to my eyes I caught a glimpse of a salmon in mid jump. Not sure if I was imaging it I continued to scan and saw three more salmon jump. I look around five anglers leaving with the other five anglers fishing their own school. No one sees them. Slowly going back to the Jeep trying not to make any attention to my self and I tell the others to gear up and we are doing a good long walk.

When we arrived I noticed two fly anglers sitting on a log watching the salmon. The salmon was out of reach for them. They would have to be very deep wading. I guess they were waiting for them to come in to there reach. But they were not out of reach for our ultra light gear. Feeling a little guilty (just a little) I mentioned to the others lets move slightly past them. I couldn’t believe the amount of salmon still but knowing often they were lockjaws. We could see chum salmon among them. Using croc spoons 3/8 ounce gold hammered with an orange stripe we were able to get three of them. No other lure we tried would work after that. To bad I lost the More- Silda lure (to a large buck coho the other day) as I think I would have caught a few more. Again it all in the timing I guess.

Winds were very strong coming from the south; waves high, very cold 3 degrees. The tide was dropping but it was a high low so about a 10 foot low.

To review the gear we are using. We use thirteen-foot rod designed for ultra lite gear but with the backbone to handle heavy fish. So the rod line weights is 10 – 20 pound, lure weights ¼- 1 ounce. We use 8-pound line for our main line and 12 pound 4 feet fluorocarbon as our leader. Using this line we often will only get one to three uses out it then we replace it. It all depends if we are using spinners and they twist the line a lot. I replace only the top third of the spool of line.

I too track along the beach looking for fish movement and I certainly enjoy reading about your exploits. I use the same gear I use for my surf casting along the mexican beaches but certainly is NOT ultra lite equipment, but is currently all I have. Am interested in your ultra lite setup. I assume is a spincast setup... 4 piece rod?... 4000 series reel... mono or braid?.. so you have your joining knot about where most of cast distance? Sorry about all the questions.. just like to have all the info before head to store where is easy to fall into the sales pitch..

Keep up the posting and appreciate all your info..

PB

I too track along the beach looking for fish movement and I certainly enjoy reading about your exploits. I use the same gear I use for my surf casting along the mexican beaches but certainly is NOT ultra lite equipment, but is currently all I have. Am interested in your ultra lite setup. I assume is a spincast setup... 4 piece rod?... 4000 series reel... mono or braid?.. so you have your joining knot about where most of cast distance? Sorry about all the questions.. just like to have all the info before head to store where is easy to fall into the sales pitch..

Keep up the posting and appreciate all your info..

PB

Love to help. We use shimano stradic 2000 spin cast reels. Shimano does not make any 2000 models anymore so it would have to be a 2500. Our rods are two pieces or three. I don't use three pieces anymore as its always harder to break down as we are moving around allot. Rods are slightly over 13 feet long. We happen to use Amundson Kudos Strategy Rod ksp13m-2 ljne wt 12-20 pound lure wt 1/4-1 oz. centerpin/beach rods. The line we find easy to use with long casting distances with the small spoon lures we use is 8 pound mono main line and 12 pound floracarbon leader. You will find using braid for log casts 100 - 200 feet will twist and coil coming off a spinning reel. If you go and see Robert at Pacific Net and Twine in Parksville he will set you up. Call him first to make sure hes in and tell him I refered you.

good luck

Love to help. We use shimano stradic 2000 spin cast reels. Shimano does not make any 2000 models anymore so it would have to be a 2500. Our rods are two pieces or three. I don't use three pieces anymore as its always harder to break down as we are moving around allot. Rods are slightly over 13 feet long. We happen to use Amundson Kudos Strategy Rod ksp13m-2 ljne wt 12-20 pound lure wt 1/4-1 oz. centerpin/beach rods. The line we find easy to use with long casting distances with the small spoon lures we use is 8 pound mono main line and 12 pound floracarbon leader. You will find using braid for log casts 100 - 200 feet will twist and coil coming off a spinning reel. If you go and see Robert at Pacific Net and Twine in Parksville he will set you up. Call him first to make sure hes in and tell him I refered you.

good luck
Thanks for the info. Probably head down to PNT next week or so. One more question. You mentioned line twist is a problem with spinners... you don't use a swivel in your setup??

PB

Thanks for the info. Probably head down to PNT next week or so. One more question. You mentioned line twist is a problem with spinners... you don't use a swivel in your setup??

PB
It doesn't matter when you use that lvery thin braid line . The line will twist bad and spring coil when tension onthe line is off. I buy line in bulk so it makes it economical and easy to change. If you spread your arms with your line and then bring them together and the line curl on itself tight it time to change.

Last edited:
Beach Journal October 27 2018

Today I was with my daughter and her fiancée. My buddies wanted to go so we went in their big truck. Traveling north we ventured to many beaches and saw many other angler scanning for salmon. On one of these beaches as we drove by and I was sure I saw the remnants of a jump the ring in the water expanding across the surface. I made a comment but Randy didn’t hear it clearly and kept on driving. We continued to search and we continued to find other vehicle with anglers having the same issue. NO Salmon.

We decided to back track to all the beaches on our way home. I mentioned that we need to stop were I thought I saw something. As we approached the area there was two other vehicles of to the side looking. We pull off to the side and waited. Eventually they decided to move. Were I saw the rings from a jump was off to the side were they had parked and would be in view if they got out of their vehicles. As they drove away disappointed we slowly moved forward and Lady luck that loves me tickle a coho and at that moment it came completely out of the water.

Quickly getting out of the vehicle Jessica had the first coho on. All excited she didn’t want help as she wanted to land it on her terms but she lost it after a great fight. Troy caught the most fish. He had bragging rights but unfortunately they were bullheads. I had three coho on and lost all. After that we couldn't get a strike. After a time we decide to move again. Not till we got near home that we found coho again.

We went through the whole inventory of lures and I finally got a big coho and landed it with a brass blade spinner. That's fishing. everybody had a good day and on to the next adventure

Attachments

• PA270002.jpeg
    PA270002.jpeg
    497 KB · Views: 78
Beach Journal October 29 2018

Another day, leaving late. We didn’t leave town till 10 am. As usual we couldn’t find any salmon after the nights heavy rains. Reaching the farthest beach we wanted to go today we crossed path with Lawrence. We shared past adventures and current siting for the day. As we chatted for 10 minutes we are ready to start home. I am always scanning and see a silver coho completely come out of the water at the point to our left. Everybody thinks I was imagining it. Heavy waves it was hard to see unless they came out of the water. I tried to convince them I wasn’t joking but after 5 minutes it looked like we were going to go. Then as all turned away I see another but coloured. This time I said if there is one there is two. If there is two there has to be more. We get our rods and I say to Lawrence come join us. He is first to cast into the water and is rewarded with a nice coho. I then get one for myself. There is no beach as the tide has pushed us against the rocks. That goodness for the Luck Strike rubber salmon net as it allowed easy landing and safe to release the salmon. The only lure that worked was the Gold Hammered croc with the orange stripe. That was the only fish we caught the rest of the day.

Attachments

• 44982915_2145175382416623_7095955876221026304_n.jpeg
    44982915_2145175382416623_7095955876221026304_n.jpeg
    377.7 KB · Views: 128
  • 45073642_270372867153377_8406071680622919680_n.jpeg
    45073642_270372867153377_8406071680622919680_n.jpeg
    303.4 KB · Views: 129
  • PA290001.jpg
    PA290001.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Back