Beach Journal 2018

Beach Journal October 6 2018

I am always searching for new ideas in creating casting spoon lures. Often the lures on the market seem to be made from the same mold that’s been on the market. Sometimes all the difference between them is a little variation.

I was visiting Robert Van Pelt at Pacific Net and Twine, a saltwater fishing tackle & gear-focused store in Parksville, BC. We were catching up on his web site and fishing tackle development thoughts and ideas. He showed me a lure called “ more silda“ . It was slimmer than the usual casting spoon. More like a needlefish and weighed 18 grams that’s 5/8 of an ounce. The shape allowed more of the weight to be centered to the lure. I could not bend it out of shape so I looks like it could take on allot of large targets without loosing its action form from the constant beating from our large salmon.

I couldn’t pass on them so I obtained two variations.

Some beaches on low tide have heavy dense eelgrass and are often under a foot below the surface. A challenge is to keep the lure when retrieving them near the surface of the water. We use 13-foot rods and by keeping the tip straight up and controlling the speed of retrieval we were able to keep this lure in this zone.

Today was another example when you struggle to get the bite. We used all of our go to lures even Randy’s lure that was successful the other day. Nothing would work. So time to put on the new lure. The strong wind was coming from the north over 15 kilometres. This would give extra distance on our casts. Salmon were showing 150 feet plus. I saw a school and made the cast. The winds were so strong it bowed the line spooling out and it took a good effort retrieving the slack. No sooner than that I caught up on the slack line the lure was slammed by a huge wild coho.

I hooked up two more and landed all beingwild. I guess the tackle bag is going to get heavier. A perfect example of what trying out new tackle can do for your success ratio.
PA060024.jpegP9250012.jpeg

Last edited:
Beach Journal October 8 2018

It’s all in the timing when it comes to beach fishing. Today I was more in the way at home as she prepared the Thanksgiving dinner and says why don’t you go out for a few hours. Didn’t have to ask twice. The waders were on faster than the speed of light and I was gone. A few hours she said so I went for a short drive and arrived at my destination. The tide was moving out but the rain was coming down strong. There was little wind with the surface having a light ripple.

A little walk and I see the first salmon jumping. A good guess on location my part. They were a good distance so I had the pink 2-inch zinger already attached. I made the cast and within the first 10 revolutions of the reel the lure is slammed. All excited for the first cast. It turned out to be a wild Buck.

Feeling complete I changed to the More Silda Gold with the orange stripe. I was able to cover them often casting beyond them and then retrieving the lure through. Within the next 1 ½ hour this lured hooked into 7 more coho losing 3 during great fights and bonus landing a hatchery.

By 9:30 they were gone and never came back. Rains continued and I did the slow walk back to the jeep with a great smile for Thanksgiving

Attachments

• PA070013.jpeg
    PA070013.jpeg
    384.2 KB · Views: 135
  • PA070016.jpeg
    PA070016.jpeg
    347.3 KB · Views: 132
  • PA070015.jpeg
    PA070015.jpeg
    296.7 KB · Views: 131
  • PA070020.jpeg
    PA070020.jpeg
    413 KB · Views: 136
Beach Journal October 8 2018

It’s all in the timing when it comes to beach fishing. Today I was more in the way at home as she prepared the Thanksgiving dinner and says why don’t you go out for a few hours. Didn’t have to ask twice. The waders were on faster than the speed of light and I was gone. A few hours she said so I went for a short drive and arrived at my destination. The tide was moving out but the rain was coming down strong. There was little wind with the surface having a light ripple.

A little walk and I see the first salmon jumping. A good guess on location my part. They were a good distance so I had the pink 2-inch zinger already attached. I made the cast and within the first 10 revolutions of the reel the lure is slammed. All excited for the first cast. It turned out to be a wild Buck.

Feeling complete I changed to the More Silda Gold with the orange stripe. I was able to cover them often casting beyond them and then retrieving the lure through. Within the next 1 ½ hour this lured hooked into 7 more coho losing 3 during great fights and bonus landing a hatchery.

By 9:30 they were gone and never came back. Rains continued and I did the slow walk back to the jeep with a great smile for Thanksgiving
You’re good at fishing!

Cherry point beach has been happening for a week or so now....
Everywhere I look Cherry Point is posted as closed. Can you point me to a reg that says it's open?

Cherry point beach is south of the closed area Cherry point. People were fishing there this past Friday....

Stay tuned for the next Journal posting as AP tackworks has produced their protoype casting lures. We all know how successfull they are as a trolling spoon. Here are some of the samples. They will weigh from 14 grams ( 1/2 ounce ) to 20 grams (3/4 ounce) .

IMG_1633.jpegIMG_1635.jpeg

Cherry point beach is south of the closed area Cherry point. People were fishing there this past Friday....[/QUOTE

Ahhh Ok. I looked at the regs and just assumed it was included. Thanks for the clarification

Beach Journal October 10, 2018

It was a real tough day. We started at Deep bay and worked our way south. All together 17 beaches. Most were dead and the few that showed salmon were small schools or single but in those three neaches they were covered by 3- 12 anglers. We passed adding our presence and continued the search. Finally arriving at Nanoose Bay our first location in the bay turned up nil but thanks for the binocular I can see salmon jumping on the west side we call the flats. Back into our vehicle and hopefull they would still be there . Winds now coming from the north over 15 kilometeers. Very diffiucult to cast but I was able to reach there location and lucked out hooking into a nice coho On a hammered brass w/ orange stripe Croc. I had ealier lost the More Silda but visually marked the location. The tide was dropping and on our way back to the vehicle I looked back to the area I lost the lure and sure enough it was sitting on top black netting that on the bottom for the clams. Not sure what I was more excited catching the coho or finding the lure . Tough day 2 coho on , one landed and one lure recovered. Arriving home there was a nice surprise in the mail . They have arrived.

Attachments

• PA120017.jpeg
    PA120017.jpeg
    552.9 KB · Views: 145
  • PA120019.jpeg
    PA120019.jpeg
    283.9 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
I don’t think it’s a big secret you can catch Coho from the beaches in the fall lol.

Hes not wrong some reports can cause areas go from a few anglers to a lot. Its amazing how many people sit at home reading reports and wait for them to be good before going out.

Back