BC Wolf Cull

I like the one reader who suggested capture and ship them to Newfoundland. Moose are apparently a real problem there maybe they could help.

Let's send them a few loads of seals while we are at it.

Is there a real problem?

EDIT-OK I read the article sounds like a vote getting measure to me-a few dead cows and Caribou don't amount to very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
In general I find hunters attitudes towards wolves rediculous. The kill them all mentality is overwhelming and often uneducated. I think controlled culls where they are needed is acceptable but the idea of "shoot every wolf is plain dumb.

Matt Luna's not for it but that is a very bias vote. Lol

Matt Luna's not for it but that is a very bias vote. Lol

Quite Understandable. :D

In my past I killed several hundred wolves. Now I raise Wolf Hybrids. I do have a few thoughts on this matter, likely not what many would suspect. However I am going to hold off until I see what a few more of the Crew think before voicing them...

Cheers,
Nog

In general I find hunters attitudes towards wolves rediculous. The kill them all mentality is overwhelming and often uneducated. I think controlled culls where they are needed is acceptable but the idea of "shoot every wolf is plain dumb.

That's a pretty broad brush your waving there. Just sayin'.

Here is an example of just how these types of management programs can work. A Yukon Study:

In response to declining numbers of the Aishihik Caribou Herd and adjacent moose populations in that area, a Recovery Program was undertaken through the '90's and into 2000. That program was initiated with a complete closure for the licensed hunting season for Aishihik Caribou in 1991 and placing moose on permit in 1993 followed by full closure in 1994. To limit predation on the caribou and moose, the Yukon government then led an experimental program to reduce the number of wolves through lethal and non-lethal methods in the region of study.

Wolf numbers were manipulated in three phases:

· They were shot from helicopters each winter from 1993-1997;
· Surgical sterilizations occurred between 1993 and 1997 (14 wolves from 7 packs);
· An experimental immune-contraceptive vaccine was applied to 11 females between 2000 and 2003.

These methods resulted in a reduction of wolf numbers by 80% -- from 28 wolf packs in 1992 to 7-20 packs during the reduction period. A total of 157 wolves were killed over the period 1993-1998 in the Aishihik caribou herd’s range. As well, 32 wolves were trapped during this period.

The Aishihik caribou herd’s adult sex ratio changed from 29 bulls for every 100 cows (pre-1993) to 52 bulls/100 cows by 1997. Increased recruitment rates (calf:cow ratio) during wolf control compared to before was not observed in control populations. However, Aishihik was the only herd that showed a sustained increase in annual recruitment during treatment. Overall it was concluded that the Aishihik caribou population was positively affected by the removal of wolves from the system.

Moose numbers stopped declining and rapidly increased between 1992 and 1998. The change in moose numbers was explained through adult survival rates
that increased from 80% to 98% in the treatment area between the two survey periods.

The Aishihik herd size was estimated to be 2044 caribou in 2009. It has increased by approximately 5% per year since 1997. This increase has occurred in the presence of a recovering wolf population, an increasing wood bison population, and a modest bull-only harvest by licensed hunters which began in 2002.

Lessons Learned

Lowered wolf predation was more important than reducing hunting to increase moose numbers.
Predation limits ungulate populations below their range carrying capacity in the Yukon.
Wolf predation can be reduced using a combination of lethal and non-lethal techniques.
The Aishihik area represents a multi-predator prey system. However, even with bears in the area, wolf reduction resulted in an increase in prey numbers.

This is but one case that the outcome was Successful, in fact Very Beneficial to the dwindling caribou and moose populations in the area of study. Wolf populations rebounded (as they almost always do) however given the "boost" in numbers prior to that development, the caribou and moose populations continued to CLIMB as the wolves' number increased alongside them. It very much appears that both populations of predator and prey are still increasing.

No matter how you slice it, this particular program must be viewed as a potentially long-lasting Success.

http://www.yfwcm.ca/YukonWolfPlanRe..._recovery_program_summary_FINALApr_11_204.pdf

If the wolves could talk, they'd probably say something like...
large healthy prey population = increased population of predators, leading eventually to a decline in prey which in turns leads to a decline in predators and the cycle continues...if conditions are perfect, eventually there is a balance...humans f#$% this all up...only real answer, cull the f'n humans!

this seems akin to blaming seals and whales for the decline in salmon. Sure if we culled orcas we'd have a lot more chinooks swimming around, but are they the real cause for the decline?

Anyone who thinks a good wolf is a dead wolf is honestly an absolute idiot on the matter. That mentality drives me nuts. I have no issues with culling wolves "when warranted" or joe blow legally shooting one he comes across while in the bush. This idea of wolves as monsters however is pretty eighteenth century. They are a part of the ecosystem and should be respected as such. Poppa swiss' comparison to seals i feel is pretty accurate. I can't stand them a lot of the time but i'm not naive enough to think we should wipe them out.

Overall with the population growing bringing increased human pressure, dwindling wildlife populations etc the whole system is in serious trouble.

I saw a study about wolves in Yellowstone Park and how the buffalo started to get sick because there was no wolves When the wolves were there they killed the sick, the slow, and the old, thus keeping the herd healthy and moving. Because the herds tended not to move they damaged native plants and thus the wild birds. Because the birds weren't there they didnt move the seeds from the native plants. And the list goes on. Again only we humans can screw things up.

... I can't stand them a lot of the time but i'm not naive enough to think we should wipe them out.

No-one is suggesting anything of the kind kelly. Judicious Reductions where neccessary are what is being proposed.

I saw a study about wolves in Yellowstone Park ...

There were indeed some initial benefits to re-establishing wolves in Yellowstone. Since then their numbers have literally exploded, and they are playing Havoc with the system as a whole these days. Do some research on what's happening today, you will be rather unpleasantly surprised methinks...

Overall with the population growing bringing increased human pressure, dwindling wildlife populations etc the whole system is in serious trouble.

Agreed.

The utopian concept of a "natural balance" in nature has been thrown so far out of whack, for such a long period of time, there is simply no chance of ever turning back. And Yes, that was us Two-Legs that created where we stand today.

Now, whether you like it or not, our impacts (and there are many) MUST be taken into consideration when managing both "wild" areas and wildlife populations. In a great many instances WE are the Driving Force behind what develops out there. Failure to recognize this as Fact is simply a recipe for Disaster. Once you have wrapped your mind around just where we stand today, it is not too difficult a leap to then understand WE are responsible for the imbalances we create. And WE are thus responsible for doing whatever it takes to try and orient the systems towards a more even keel - Balance if you prefer.

We Effed it up. Agreed. We can then turn our backs and walk away in the Mad Hope "nature" will magically take over and fix the messes we create. Rare indeed for that to happen in any desirable form or fashion. Or, WE can step in and at least try to right the impacts of our errors. In many instances this has proven to be the "Right Answer" for the land and the various species involved.

It's all fine and dandy to say "Reduce our impacts" and/or "Reduce the Humans". In Reality, neither are going to happen while any of us are still breathing. So, we do what we can, where we can, to try and keep the Good Ship upright.

IMHO there are areas in BC where this proposed Management Program will provide just that. An opportunity for foundering ungulate populations to have a chance at rebuilding. Rest Assured, if and when that goal is attained, the wolves will respond accordingly. Just as they did in the example I cited above...

Cheers,
Nog

It reminds me of a quote we learned in class about forestry, that applies to all environment and sustainability issues. "This is not rocket science, it's much more complicated".

It reminds me of a quote we learned in class about forestry, that applies to all environment and sustainability issues. "This is not rocket science, it's much more complicated".
Very amusing Kelly, but your phrase captures the issue perfectly!
In any given ecosystem there are hundreds of species, if not more, and thousands upon thousands of interactions. Most of these interactions are unknown or unnoticed, but push at one point and something unexpected happens way over there because of the knock on effect echoing down the interaction chain.
The wolf control program that Nog describes in the Yukon is all very well but there could be many unintended impacts of increased ungulate populations and declining wolves which went unnoticed because no one was looking for them. These could range from a decline in some plant species to more coyotes which in turn affect other species.
We can never "manage" ecosystems in the way we imagine we can because of the innumerable, unknown interactions taking place. It is all guesswork and entirely unpredictable. We may get the results we are looking for with one parameter but there are likely many other effects, unnoticed, uncounted and ignored.
Wherever possible, nature should be left alone and let the complex interplay of forces take things where they may. The results may not be what we might "like" but the entire ecosystem, as a whole, will be better for it.

Has anyone seen a wolf teach it's young to jump at a healthy calf or cow moose's juggler vein just to kill it?. Then let it die in agony and trot away because it was just training day. Never to return to eat it. Has anyone seen how the super pack's in Banff have followed the wildlife fence and tunnels and just stop there for dinner? Does anyone know what a super pack is (yes human caused)?

With all the warm fuzzy feelings put out there I have one question for all those afraid or against culling. Why don't you give the animal in question the benefit of the doubt?

We couldn't put a dent in their population even with poisoning (which I am totally against). These are extremely elusive and smart animals. Their population is not endangered what so ever. We always cry wolf and bear yet I have never seen anyone (especially in the news lately) cry bambi. There goes Kelly's dwindling wildlife population statement. In fact the annual harvest of deer in some MU's on Vancouver Island increased this year due to over population.

Wild life in general is doing just fine in North America with a few exceptions in a few area's.

If you want to realize how much we as human's have done for wildlife join your local BCWF and read up about the Boone and Crockett club. That's right the very club that record's animal trophies. Read up about that organization and what it has done over the many years for wildlife in North America. Delta Waterfowl is another outstanding organization. These are just a couple of examples. The best example is your local Fish and Game Club in your area which donates hundreds of thousands (maybe millions) of hours of volunteer time over the years for wildlife and fish. All hunter and fisherman organized and driven. Wow who would have thought.

Get informed or involved with who is looking out and doing something for the wildlife instead of posting uneducated emotional opinions that do nothing for the wildlife.

Cheers,
John

Well i have seen first hand the destruction Wolves do go back to the 80s and the population on the island BOOMED and you basically couldnt find a deer north of Cambell river.
My father and I were camping/pre scouting setting up blinds etc north of nitnat at that time we watched a slope from the river where we were camping. i recorded many big bigs including this one monster and many does fawns tons of deer, so we waited with anticapation for opening day snuck up to our blind before dawn, ZIP saw nothing next morning the same so we all were wondering WTH???? we decide to send a guy (me) up the hill 300 yds and push along the slope when i got up there all I smelt was rot.... called my day more investegating dead deer all chewed up some only there butt eaten out wolf tracks and **** every where. And the monster buck who was in great shape we found with its guts out and partlly eaten, so when "they" say they only prey on the weak and young i call BS as these were killed and left for fun sort of speak.

Another time moose hunting watched a pack kill a cow and calf and they ate a bit then left i went back several times never saw them again watched a griz and yotes eat it though.

For me personally if there is too many then cull them. You have to have a sustainably source for food really dont want to see skinny and sick animals be it wolves or cougars last thing we want is these animals come in and take a pet or worse a child.

And yes If I see a wolf ill shoot it have in the past and will continue to....
oh and BTW dont shoot me....LOL

wolf

Has anyone seen a wolf teach it's young to jump at a healthy calf or cow moose's juggler vein just to kill it?. Then let it die in agony and trot away because it was just training day. Never to return to eat it. Has anyone seen how the super pack's in Banff have followed the wildlife fence and tunnels and just stop there for dinner? Does anyone know what a super pack is (yes human caused)?

With all the warm fuzzy feelings put out there I have one question for all those afraid or against culling. Why don't you give the animal in question the benefit of the doubt?

We couldn't put a dent in their population even with poisoning (which I am totally against). These are extremely elusive and smart animals. Their population is not endangered what so ever. We always cry wolf and bear yet I have never seen anyone (especially in the news lately) cry bambi. There goes Kelly's dwindling wildlife population statement. In fact the annual harvest of deer in some MU's on Vancouver Island increased this year due to over population.

Wild life in general is doing just fine in North America with a few exceptions in a few area's.

If you want to realize how much we as human's have done for wildlife join your local BCWF and read up about the Boone and Crockett club. That's right the very club that record's animal trophies. Read up about that organization and what it has done over the many years for wildlife in North America. Delta Waterfowl is another outstanding organization. These are just a couple of examples. The best example is your local Fish and Game Club in your area which donates hundreds of thousands (maybe millions) of hours of volunteer time over the years for wildlife and fish. All hunter and fisherman organized and driven. Wow who would have thought.

Get informed or involved with who is looking out and doing something for the wildlife instead of posting uneducated emotional opinions that do nothing for the wildlife.

Cheers,
John

That is a great post for anytime of the day let alone past midnight

Well said.

Lorne

Back