BC outdoors

J

jokerwld

Hello Gang
I am fairly new to this site
I work for Bc Outdoors Magazine and am An avide fisherman
I would like to know how may members on this site read the magazine and if not why
and if you would be interested in getting a gruop rate on one year subscriptions

see you at the derby

I'm subscribed but my subscription is probably ending soon. What a great idea, I am in for a group rate!

I have a subscription, and it is coming up for renewal. Would be interested in a group subscription if available.

not renewing my subscription after many years.
too many useless stories that arent creative or interesting or educational; needs way more in the way of creative articles on new tactics/techniques. one exception would be ian forbes article in the last issue- was actually useful if someone wanted to fish the skeena. if people want a decent read fine, but i like learning something. think i'll go pick an sts subsricption instead.

"not renewing my subscription after many years.
too many useless stories that arent creative or interesting or educational; needs way more in the way of creative articles on new tactics/techniques. one exception would be ian forbes article in the last issue- was actually useful if someone wanted to fish the skeena. if people want a decent read fine, but i like learning something. think i'll go pick an sts subsricption instead."

Eagle eyes
Thank you for your imput
I would like to hear what types of things your interested in learning about , I will pass these sugestions along to our editor.its always good to hear the views of our long time readers.
while I like to read STS for the variety I find that the techniques they use for fishing in Washington sate and Alaska don't translate well to our Great BC fishery
thanks again
looking forward to more feed back
Mike

Hey Eagleeyes. Interesting to hear your opinion that my coho article in the latest issue of BCO (the same one that Ian's article is in) was useless information. I tried to pack it full of info that someone new to fishing the estuaries/beaches for coho could use.
Oh well, can't please everyone.
I'd also like to know what would interest you so that I could work with the editorial staff at BCO to develop articles that readers would find interesting, entertaining and useful.
Thanks
Bill Luscombe

"too many useless stories that aren't creative or interesting or educational; needs way more in the way of creative articles on new tactics/techniques."
I agree that it's a tired old format going over the same old ground over & over & over.

"I find that the techniques they use for fishing in Washington state and Alaska don't translate well to our Great BC fishery "
I find all kinds of ideas all over the place including the US recreational fisheries that concentrate on the same stocks.

They did have one article about using Crankbaits for Trout something I've been doing for 20+ years so they are catching up....slowly.

Great mag, love the articles. Only ask for more maps of frequent catch areas.

i dont fly fish and am not very interested in it, so therefore i didnt find it too useful. it was well written and whatnot, but for myself not what i find useful- if i was into beach fishing then it would have been good. however catching a handful of fish off the beach with a ton of effort just isnt my thing, maybe later in life.
personally i would be into seeing any articles on new saltwater techniques/tactics for salmon- non flyfishing obviously for myself, same with rivers. basically articles that explain things rather then just telling a story which is what a lot of things seem to be. i dont mean giving away locations because thats the last thing to do. anyway just my thoughts.

ps- ya about time people started using cranks for trout- best way to get a big cutty one in my opinion

I'm also completely fed up with the magazine and stopped re-newing my subscription. Fluff articles! All of them.
When I look back over an article that I've read and found mildly interesting, I think, now what information has this really provided me? The answer is always "nothing"!
If you want to change your magazine, take a look at Salmon/Trout/Steelheader and Flyfishing & Tying Journal by Frank Amato Publications. They have the best mags available for west coast fishing, written by people really on the cutting edge of todays fishing with in-depth articles on technique,places, etc.
And NO, I don't work for them. I'm just an extremely avid fisherman.

I'll come to the mags defence a little bit here. This is a magazine for all types of fishing from downrigging to fly fishing so there will be articles on everything. It also covers every area of the province so its not for everyone. What you have to remember is that when these writers are writing there articles they can't come out and say some of the best locations to use these techniques because of the pressure that will come after the magazine is on newstands.

Just my thoughts.

TT

THis is a great discussion. And it shows what such discussions always show... BCO is a generic fishing mag. Tyee is right... and you can't please all the people all the time.
I flyfish and I write about it. I try to give the reader the what, when, where, why and how to about whatever I am writing about... people who don't flyfish won't find it interesting.
I guess some readers need to narrow their magazine search down to the exact type of fishing they want to do... but I can't recall any magazines that only publish articles on fishing trout with crankbaits, or things as specialized as that.
BCO and other mags often try to have special issues that target a specific audience, sucha s a trout or steelhead issue, and they are full of good info too. But if you are a very avid and experienced angler you probably won't get a lot of info out of magazines. Thus it becomes a nice read and the location or "me and Joe" destination/adventure style article becomes more appealng than the how-to pieces.
Anyway, us writers write to the market as assigned to us by the magazines. We do our best to provide as much info as possible on the subject in an interesting way. Readership surveys can be useful in trying to figure out what areas the magazine should target, but they inevitably turn out spread all over the map too.
And times have changed. 20 or 30 years ago adventure style pieces were the way to go. Stories by people about the trips they took. You almost never see them anymore because everyone seems to want to turn fishing into an exact science and catching fish is the only reason they go fishing. Production fishing, quantity not quality. The more fish the better the day. They never stop to look around and enjoy the day out or all the other things about being out doors and on the water.
So, as I said, you can't please everyone all the time.
Bill

quote:Originally posted by wbluscom
And times have changed. 20 or 30 years ago adventure style pieces were the way to go. Stories by people about the trips they took. You almost never see them anymore because everyone seems to want to turn fishing into an exact science and catching fish is the only reason they go fishing. Production fishing, quantity not quality. The more fish the better the day. They never stop to look around and enjoy the day out or all the other things about being out doors and on the water.
So, as I said, you can't please everyone all the time.
Bill

Amen, Bill! Too true.

Back