battery choices

salmonkiller01

I need to update the batterries in my boat so after searching I think I am going with an optima red top for starting 1000mca, and then a canadian tire nautilus spiral grid deep cycle for running electronics.

I am running 2 downriggers, gps, ff and kicker steering while trolling.

Do you think the optima red top will be ok, the blue tops are about 150 more and was hoping to save some dollars??

If I wanted to save money and replace my bat's today I would go to WalMart and buy Energizer Marine Bat's. Both dual use bat's... for $90 each. I replace my bat every 2 years no matter what.

I use Polar batteries on Boundary Road in Vanocuver. I used to replace my batteries with the same batteries that the boat came with (Trojan) at $300 each. Polar matches the specs at 1/3 the cost. I also replace them every 2 years because I HATE having 12 volt issues !! Good luck.

Go to costco, I picked up a large deep cycle for just over 100 bux taxes in last year. The Kirkland brand also carries a 5 year warranty.

Do you know the crank/reserve or maybe the model/group #?

Labman2: I have two batteries that were purchased at Costco. I have a Starting/Deep Cycle Marine battery that was ~$100. It is a Group 27 and I believe has 900 CCA.

My other battery is a spiral grid that has ~1000 CCA (fits in my top hatch storage). It is smaller and lighter than the other battery and will not leak (couldn't fall over anyway where it is). This battery costs significantly more but is worth it to me as a Group 27 wouldn't fit in the compartment I am using. This battery system has worked very well since the boat has had duel batteries.

...Rob

Go to costco, I picked up a large deep cycle for just over 100 bux taxes in last year. The Kirkland brand also carries a 5 year warranty.

X2 for Costco. Priced them out, best price I could find and good warranty. Just put two new ones in boat last week.

IMG-20110223-00106.jpg IMG-20110223-00107.jpg

Pics aren't the best but they do have some of the info there if you zoom in.

We are hoping to get about 3 years out of them, and then replace them with new, there is nothing worse than floating around out there with no power:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
X2 for Costco. Priced them out, best price I could find and good warranty. Just put two new ones in boat last week.

View attachment 917 View attachment 918

Pics aren't the best but they do have some of the info there if you zoom in.

We are hoping to get about 3 years out of them, and then replace them with new, there is nothing worse than floating aroung out there with no power:rolleyes:
Thanks for the info guy's!!!!
RobH and Fish Hunter

Last edited by a moderator:
My wifes in nanaimo right now , gonna send her to costco to get one of the kirkland batteries.
Thanks for all the info.

I use Interstate marine batteries. One deep cycle for running riggers and electronics when using the kicker and a starting battery with a high cranking rating.

Back