Batteries

Z

Zpg

I recently bought a boat that requires batteries. It is a Merc 5.7L and I am running electric downriggers, DC fridge, GPS, Finder and the usual pumps and lights. I don't know how I will run the battery system exactly but my initial thought is a decent cranking amp battery for start-up and a good deep cycle for the rest. I would appreciate any advice regarding which batteries are really good quality for this application and set up.

Ray

Check out this site www.hellroaring.com You will need an isolator to insure that your misc. equipment does not discharge your starting battery. It also insures that when starting the motor, a surge does not affect your electronics. Others will need to recommend batteries.

just give federal battery a call or any other battery place and they will answer that for you I ask them for my boat and they said just two starting batteries would be good enough. but I don't have a fridge in mine. or is in the water all the time. If you phone federal to ask about seconds to. they are scratched or on the self to long. got a starting batt for 50.00

Zpg - I've got the same Merc 5.7L setup.

I'd highly highly recommend installing the Automatic Charge Relay (ACR) from BlueSeas. At Westmarine it's called the "Add a Battery" system. What you do is this:

- All House Power systems (downriggers, GPS, radio, fridge, pumps etc...) are wired directly to the deep cycle house battery (via a fuse panel usually).

- The engine and bilge pump are the only things wired to the starting battery.

When the alternator is running (or your battery is charging), the ACR combines both the batteries together so that both are charged. When the alternator or charger stops charging, the ACR breaks the connection between the two batteries and isolates them. This prevents having to switch between 1, 2 and Both (and forgetting to switch them back like I always did). The only battery in danger of running down is the deep cycle which can take that punishment more than the cranking battery.

The ACR also has the surge prevention that Civano mentioned so that your electronics don't get fried. In the event that your starter battery gets drained or is getting old, you can manually combine both batteries via a selector switch that comes with the system.

I actually run 2 house batteries and a cranking battery. The second house is an emergency battery that can be switched into the system to provide a start. Some bring along the motomaster eliminator as a standby.

I invested in this system last summer. Spent the night in Renfrew on the boat. Ran the fridge, stereo, pumps etc... and ended up running the house battery flat. In the morning after starting the engine, combined both batteries as we ran to the fishing grounds. In the excitement to fish -- forgot to switch back to a single battery. Ran the kicker, VHF, Radar, and defogger. After fishing, went to start the main engine and nada - the dead house battery had drained the starter and neither had power to start the big engine. Fortunately, the kicker was still running and we were only at East Point so were able to make it back to the docks and got a boost.

TenMile
<'((((><

quote:I invested in this system last summer. Spent the night in Renfrew on the boat. Ran the fridge, stereo, pumps etc... and ended up running the house battery flat. In the morning after starting the engine, combined both batteries as we ran to the fishing grounds. In the excitement to fish -- forgot to switch back to a single battery. Ran the kicker, VHF, Radar, and defogger. After fishing, went to start the main engine and nada - the dead house battery had drained the starter and neither had power to start the big engine. Fortunately, the kicker was still running and we were only at East Point so were able to make it back to the docks and got a boost.

So you drained all three batteries? In like 24 hours? Thats quite a system you have there :) What's wrong with the traditional battery switch and running it on all? I like to carry a spare battery not hooked up to anything.

Take only what you need.

quote:
So you drained all three batteries? In like 24 hours? Thats quite a system you have there :) What's wrong with the traditional battery switch and running it on all? I like to carry a spare battery not hooked up to anything.

No, sorry -- maybe I wasn't clear. Last summer I didn't have the ACR system. Had the standard 1, 2, All switch installed. Drained the house battery overnight (running fridge, stereo, lights and vacuum packer). Started the boat in the morning (by switching to the starter battery, when the boat was running, switched to Both so that 1 & 2 would charge.

When I got to the fishing grounds (just at East Point, so only about a 15 minute run or so -- not long enough on the alternator to charge the house), started the kicker but forgot to take the switch off Both. What happened is that the two batteries equalized (so the starter battery in effect charges the house). The kicker has a small alternator (7 amps) but it couldn't keep up to the load from the electronics -- foggy day so all nav lights, radar, VHF, GPS and defogger were running. So now, Both batteries get drained and there isn't enough juice to start the main engine. The kicker doesn't have enough jam to charge an empty battery in a short time vs. a 70amp alternator on the big engine.

With the ACR -- you never have to switch between 1, 2 and All and worry about battery drain. My 3rd battery is set up just like yours. I charge it when I'm plugged in to be sure its topped up, but otherwise it's not connected. 3rd battery and ACR were added after this incident!!!

Here's the link to the product: http://bluesea.com/category/2/productline/overview/329

TenMile
<'((((><

I gottcha now 10Mile..
Thumbs%20Up.gif
I was wondering...

A good source for cheap batteries is an auto wrecker. I have gotten some gems for 20$. Maybe not the best ones for marine applications, but certainly good enough to have along as a spare. And certainly good enough for your car/truck. They usually test them before they sell them. If it's for your boat ask for a truck battery as some of those little car batteries are a joke.

Take only what you need.

quote:What's wrong with the traditional battery switch and running it on all

Running your batteries on all defeats the purpose of having 2 batteries and if you have a bad battery it will kill your good battery.

Hey Guys

Thanks for the great advice. Tenmile...I'll definately look into your suggestion. The boat presently has a switch but I can definitely see myself forgetting to switch back:D I always bring along a Crappy Tire eliminator just in case.

Cheers!

Tenmile,
I have been considering installing the ACR system to avoid inadvertantly running both batteries down.

I presently have 2 batteries and the 1,2,All,Off switch and was wondering when you installed the ACR and the third battery did you keep the 1,2,All, Off switch or add a different switch?

quote:Originally posted by AlK

Tenmile,
I have been considering installing the ACR system to avoid inadvertantly running both batteries down.

I presently have 2 batteries and the 1,2,All,Off switch and was wondering when you installed the ACR and the third battery did you keep the 1,2,All, Off switch or add a different switch?

Yeah, I kept the 1, 2, All switch and used it to wire in the 3rd battery. Hard to explain here, but connect the "source input" on the switch to the 3rd battery. Terminal 1 then connects to my starter battery and Terminal 2 to the house battery. Thus, if I need to provide more boost to the starter, I switch it to "1" and if I need more house power, switch it to "2". Keeping it in either position 1 or 2 while the system is charging keeps battery 3 topped up.

TenMile
<'((((><

quote:Originally posted by AlK

Tenmile,
Thanks for the response. I may have some more questions?

Just to let you know, I'm not an expert at this stuff, but happy to help if I can from the stuff I've learned.

TenMile
<'((((><

Back