Bass vs Trout?

Eric

Now I don't to be too annoying or labeled a spammer but most of you should remember what it was like to be so hooked on bass fishing at first. So I have been surfing around checking out different resources and came across this nasty forum topic (elsewhere of course) of the 'hated introduced bass species by ignorant, amateur ichyologists'. Now I remember when I was younger, there was only 2 lakes with bass. St Mary's and Quennel lake. But now there does seem to be an 'invasion'. Heck I even went fishing for bass this morning after my graveyard shift in Crofton lake. It never had bass in it! Some big cutthroat but that was it.
So are bass going to take over the island? While my neighbour and I were catching a lot of bass in Fuller lake these older guys were trolling for trout and only caught one. It is summer tho.
Maybe the wiser fisherman can fill me in. Are bass going to take over? Are we 'evil' for enjoying bass-fishing? Can trout and bass co-exist in a lake?
thanx

Hey Eric,

For some here is BC, it is as cut and dry as the night has darkness but in fact, you are correct in general pre-conceptions. Bass and trout have co-inhabited hundreds of lakes throughout Canada and the United States for decades. There are many documented studies proving that not only do they thrive in co-existance but they generally have stronger bloodlines.
As far as the trout fisherman only catching one fish to your many bass, this is only due to the dog days of summer. Trout will be much deeper staying in the comfort zone where the temperature is cooler and the oxygen level is higher.
There are so many advantages to having bass to target. It takes pressure off many other species as well as gives the tackle shops the ability to make up for the losses caused by fisheries closing salmon fishing.
I however do not support illegal transplanting in anyway, shape or form but since they are showing up, I will throw gear for them and smile doing so. I know more than a dozen "Purists", that have gone off the deep end as a result of catching smallmouths over on the Island. Most of these folks have not or just won't admit that bass offer great fun throughout the season. These closet bass fisherpeople will eventually open the doors. Unfortunately, fisheries will probably push them to explore them further with every closure.

Great subject but ballsy, this could start all sorts of responses.

Terry Skipper
www.reactionbaits.com

Hey Eric,

For some here is BC, it is as cut and dry as the night has darkness but in fact, you are correct in general pre-conceptions. Bass and trout have co-inhabited hundreds of lakes throughout Canada and the United States for decades. There are many documented studies proving that not only do they thrive in co-existance but they generally have stronger bloodlines.
As far as the trout fisherman only catching one fish to your many bass, this is only due to the dog days of summer. Trout will be much deeper staying in the comfort zone where the temperature is cooler and the oxygen level is higher.
There are so many advantages to having bass to target. It takes pressure off many other species as well as gives the tackle shops the ability to make up for the losses caused by fisheries closing salmon fishing.
I however do not support illegal transplanting in anyway, shape or form but since they are showing up, I will throw gear for them and smile doing so. I know more than a dozen "Purists", that have gone off the deep end as a result of catching smallmouths over on the Island. Most of these folks have not or just won't admit that bass offer great fun throughout the season. These closet bass fisherpeople will eventually open the doors. Unfortunately, fisheries will probably push them to explore them further with every closure.

Terry Skipper
www.reactionbaits.com

Hey Eric,

Terry Skipper
www.reactionbaits.com

Hey Eric,

Terry Skipper
www.reactionbaits.com

Some very good points put by Terry. The only time I've seen Bass and Trout in a situation where co-existing leads to massive trout mortalities is when "Stripers" go on a rampage in the lakes of SoCal, Az and NV where to be honest anything that swims is fair game to the aggressive nature of the Landlocked Striped Bass.

Some very good points put by Terry. The only time I've seen Bass and Trout in a situation where co-existing leads to massive trout mortalities is when "Stripers" go on a rampage in the lakes of SoCal, Az and NV where to be honest anything that swims is fair game to the aggressive nature of the Landlocked Striped Bass.

Back