Basic gear questions

Airon

For spoons, is it typical to have separate leaders with a snap clip or individual leaders tied on each spoon?

Best way to clean spoons?

Best way to put new hook on spoons, the hooks you can open up and crimp on or a split ring to a standard hook??

I have a bunch of 6' leaders with crane swivels on one end on blue foam holders. I get a few of my starters ready the night before. I'll tie on a few bench warmers while fishing. I'll re-use/re-tie leaders later on as I change spoons. Then I cut them all off at the end of the trip. I don't have room to have a pre-tied leader on every spoon. I have way too many.
I prefer open eye siwash hooks even if the spoon has a split ring.

http://pacificnetandtwine.com/?prod...9bscmhuk1icfeucoh6&cat=2328,2443,2455&filter=

For spoons, is it typical to have separate leaders with a snap clip or individual leaders tied on each spoon?

Best way to put new hook on spoons, the hooks you can open up and crimp on or a split ring to a standard hook??

As far as cleaning gear goes, from a thread I posted many guys using a decent size bucket partially filled with fresh water and Joy lemon dish soap. Throw used gear in during the day then rinse and dry at the end of your day. Then ready for the next day. I'll be doing it. Simple, effective and cheap!!

To take off old hooks I put the eye in a vise then pull towards me. To put on a new hook I crimp it in the same vise using slow even pressure. There have been reports of the newer Mustard S/S hooks breaking at the eye from crimping - that's why i use slow even pressure.

As far as attaching to the line I usually tie a 5' leader to a ball bearing barrel swivel, then direct-tie the spoon/plug to the other end. I went fishing with a guide who clipped the spoon to a HUGE McMahon snap which caused me great doubt. About 15 minutes later we had a 38 & a 36 in the boat & caught many more over 25 in search of some Coho for the guide (what he prefers). That was one of those days where they would probably hit anything; but it is my opinion that open ocean Salmon are not gear shy.

I tend to use the newer spoons that are painted on one side with nickel on the other. Fresh water rinse should be deluxe treatment.

A
For spoons, is it typical to have separate leaders with a snap clip
I started this year after many, many seasons of individual pre-tied leaders.
One leader with a duolock clip and when it's time to change simply clip on a new lure.
Easy to manage for nicks abrasions etc.
the spoon has a better action as well

I like having leaders with duo-lock snaps for spoons. It makes things a whole lot less messy when you're wanting to change out spoons.

Things can get out of control when you're on the water. Your mind starts playing with you out there so you keep thinking, "New color? New leader length? New flasher? etc? etc?" Having snaps on your gear makes things so much easier. With snaps on your spoon leaders, you can just snap off and snap on a new spoon and not have to worry about dealing with tangled leaders.

Airon,

I tie 40 lb fluorocarbon leaders to all of my spoons before the trip and attach the other end of the
line to high quality high strength snap swivels (I spend the $$ on good ones). I then loop the
line and thread through cut straws (see pic). I usually tie some (and mark the straw) 42 inches
and 60 inches, that way depending on the fishing I can select pre tied lengths.

Looping the line through the straw keeps it tangle free and its easy to pull off the straw and
voila your leader is ready to go.

Remember to keep your hooks tacky sharp ... to me, this is critical.

As for hooks, I buy the open eye crimpable hooks and then pinch the barb ... (note that there
are some unpinched barbs in this pic ... they will be pinched and legal before hitting the water).

I am with the previous posters ... sudsy dish soap, water and then dry off with a tea towel and
let air dry.

Shiny is key. Once they get rusty etc., they get donated.

Have fun!

Attachments

• IMG_20170525_193156.jpg
    IMG_20170525_193156.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 121
I like lighter line with spoons to enhance or at least not take away from the action and I haven't lost any lures to line breakage. I go with 25lb Fluoro and as well attach a duo-lock snap although I just got some Gamakatsu 'Tournament Snaps' that I'll be testing out. I also just got some Rig Raps to store my leaders and pre-tied hoochies. So far am very pleased with the system. This is the video that sold me on the technique
. It is very quick and your leader has no irregularities. I've seen many videos where a guy wraps his leader around the flasher. Watch it underwater and you'll see it is like an accordion, when the fish bites it has 4 or more inches of slack before the line fully straighens out. These Rig Raps are about $2/each. Pack of 4 for $8.99. I started storing them in those Hydro-Flo Plano boxes so I can spray it off and it self drains.

For polishing spoons, its hard to beat Wenol. I got that tip from here last year and love it! Restores them to new...

I pretie all my spoons with leaders..simply because I like the convenience when out on the chuck. I use 30lb leader for spoons.

Spoon---leader---crane or barrel swivel.

Some spoons I use have a welded ring on the end. Others have a swivel there. Some claim that a swivel on the end of a spoon messes up the action. Never been able to substantiate that. And many commercial spoons have a swivel.

I just run the spoons thoroughly under the tap/freshwater when I get home. Soap if needed. I rinse the flashers too.

I find that stainless hooks are prone to "snapping" at the eye. You may think you crimped right but you can't see the microscopic crack on those.

I tend to go with permasteel hooks as these bend better. They may not last as long as stainless but they are less expensive and easily replaceable.

You don't need to crimp a hook on a split ring. The hook should be able to go on the split ring no problem if you are using a closed-eye Siwash.

But there's definitely quality differences between split rings. I throw them away if they are "sprung'. ( Noticeable gap between the coils).

You also don't want split rings that are so tough and thick that they impede movement through the eye of the hook. But some cheapo split rings are very weak.

Personally I like a small high-strength swivel in front of the hook and that goes on the split ring (at the rear of the spoon) But that's just me. Many don't bother.

A
I started this year after many, many seasons of individual pre-tied leaders.
One leader with a duolock clip and when it's time to change simply clip on a new lure.
Easy to manage for nicks abrasions etc.
the spoon has a better action as well

So just so clarify you have a duolock clipped directly to the spoon? I like the utility of this idea but would have thought the clip right on the nose of the spoon might have put the fish off a bit. Craven if your saying it doesn't then I am trying this on.

You should have at least one swivel between the hook on your lure and the lure end of your mainline so that a hooked fish cannot twist the line. The commies call Rockfish "Bombers" because they hook-up without being noticed on the troll & can twist the line.

I put a swivel & McMahon snap on the end of my mainline & clip directly to the spoon. If I fish bait or a plug I put 30# leader between the snap & the plug/bait leader.

Having pre-tied leaders on all your stuff is OK, but it is high Maintenance & create more points of possible failure.

I try to use one leader per day.

I try to keep it simple. I reach down and pull some 30lb mono from my box. Tie it on to spoon. Arms length then tie onto flasher and throw over the side and fish...... Fresh leader every day. If I want to change spoons I just cut and retie. There is always a hand rag on the boat, so when the spoon is finished I just dry it off and hang on the canopy foam. I try not to use soaps and polishes because of the residue.

Back