Barkley Sound Advice (Plus my current hotspots)

SaltyAlice

Hey y'all,

I'll be doing a multi-day starting this weekend in the Barkley Sound area and am keen to get into some slabtastic fish, but also drop lines in a few places that I have yet to do so. I'm all for hunting around for fish, but am keen to hear advice on the following items.
1) What are your favourite spots this time of year in the Barkley Sound area for large chinook?
2) I'm going to try for halibut for the first time ever (!). Do I need to run out to the banks to hook into them, or are there areas closer in to the islands that are productive?

In the spirit of sharing, here are my hot spots so far this year:

Pill - 80-100 feet, 4" Herring Aid, green flasher. Have hooked into multiple high teens, low 20s fish by Pill with this setup so far this year. Most hits have been while heading west as I pass the point and begin my curve to the left.
Swale - 100-140 feet, large green splatterback hoochie, green/UV flasher. Biggest on this setup so far this year was 28lb tank a couple weeks ago. Most hits have been while heading north.

I'm looking forward to exploring the area more thoroughly, and it is more about the experience than the take-home for me, but would love any advice.

Thanks all!

Back