Barkley/Bamfield Area Prawning

P

Pescadero

I have been reading the forum for some time now. As I edge toward retirement, I seem to spend more and more time on the Island, so finally joined. It is amazing how much I have learned from all of you, just by reading, and now this is my first post.

I have never done any Prawning, but picked up some Ladner Traps and want to give it a try, next time up.

I usually stay in Bamfield. Is there anyone who would give me some pointers on Prawning in the Sound or near off shore waters?

I would appreciate any help you would feel like giving.

Pescadero,
Welcome to the board, I am not to familiar with prawning in Barkley sound. All of the prawning I've done has been in Saanich Inlet. I put 2 traps on a line and spread them out a fair distance apart. My bait of choice was always the Prawn pellets but there are plenty of other baits to use. We have a resident Prawn expert on this board in BOB W. He is the guy you want to talk to. Good luck
Totally Tyee

Pescadero,
Welcome to the board, I am not to familiar with prawning in Barkley sound. All of the prawning I've done has been in Saanich Inlet. I put 2 traps on a line and spread them out a fair distance apart. My bait of choice was always the Prawn pellets but there are plenty of other baits to use. We have a resident Prawn expert on this board in BOB W. He is the guy you want to talk to. Good luck
Totally Tyee

Pescadero,
Totally Tyee

Pescadero,
Totally Tyee

Prawning in the sound is not great.It is not deep enough.There are a few spots.The most popular would be up pipestem inlet but it gets hit hard.Further up the alberni inlet 23-1(around china creek) is good but check the regs as it is closed sometime's because it to gets hit hard as well.Check chart 3671

Prawning in the sound is not great.It is not deep enough.There are a few spots.The most popular would be up pipestem inlet but it gets hit hard.Further up the alberni inlet 23-1(around china creek) is good but check the regs as it is closed sometime's because it to gets hit hard as well.Check chart 3671

I'm pretty sure prawning is closed in the Saanich inlet right now but unsire on the status in Barkley Sound, can someone confirm this?

I'm pretty sure prawning is closed in the Saanich inlet right now but unsire on the status in Barkley Sound, can someone confirm this?

ya I went there and it said it is closed in Saanich inlet until March 31. That seems late to me though, oh well, the stocks need it

ya I went there and it said it is closed in Saanich inlet until March 31. That seems late to me though, oh well, the stocks need it

Back