Bamfield tuna shootout - preliminary info release

Osama Bin Hopper

Preliminary information regarding this years shootout!

hold the phone. technical difficulties...

Last edited by a moderator:
poster3_zps53f9b810.jpg

Please do not redistribute the poster yet as we will be continually updating it during the early stages. If you wish to share it, feel free to just send the link of this page and that way only the most up to date poster will be available.

Pretty sure that is me at the rear helm. An honour!! Lol looks good!

Curious though, and have been since our crushing one day performance of 28 fish in the 2012 derby....what determines the "winner" in this kind of Shootout Derby. I mean, we didn't even get a BC Tough T-Shirt!!

The poster looks awesome guys!!! I am flattered and honored you picked a photo of my gal to slap on there:cool:. Kelly your one hell of a good camera man:). Keep us informed on other sponsors etc. I love how your jumping on this early and it should be a outstanding event.

Cheers,
John

Pretty sure that is me at the rear helm. An honour!! Lol looks good!

Curious though, and have been since our crushing one day performance of 28 fish in the 2012 derby....what determines the "winner" in this kind of Shootout Derby. I mean, we didn't even get a BC Tough T-Shirt!!

No Bc tough Tee for me either.....$500 is a little high for most of my white trash friends!

I guess Abertan's only eh! LoL

interested in prize breakdown also, WTC has a pretty good system IMO. $500/boat isn't bad if you plan on fishing 4-5 days of the derby, leave your Googan friends at home for this one!

Tuna fishing isnt for broke people thats forsure!

Nice work on the poster Kelly

This is gonna be a beauty even if a few never hits the dock!

Would love to see how you "win" though.

Lorne

Chris and FB you missed the party! Shirts for sure next time we cross paths.

Harper what is the WTC system they use? It's not as clear as a typical salmon derby to choose a winner. We thought of a few methods. We figured for each fish caught your boat gets to put a name into the draw, so the more fish you catch the higher your chances of winning. Each boat would have a limited number of wins to spread the prizes around. Also we thought we would have another category for biggest fish.

Definately looking for input so throw ideas out. Better to start now than August so we can work any kinks out.

WTC goes something like this:

teams weight in their top 5 fish. highest total 5-fish weight wins the main pot. Then they have a bunch of side pots for biggest albi, bigest palagic etc.

IMO something similar to this is the way to do it. Each team can weight in 5 fish per day. Your top 5-fish weight of the tournament will be your entry for the main pot. Tie breaker goes to the team with the biggest fish.

Could add in daily side pots etc.

teams weight in their top 5 fish. highest total 5-fish weight wins the main pot. Then they have a bunch of side pots for biggest albi, bigest palagic etc.

IMO something similar to this is the way to do it. Each team can weight in 5 fish per day. Your top 5-fish weight of the tournament will be your entry for the main pot. Tie breaker goes to the team with the biggest fish.

That's how I understand it works as well. The WTC and the OTC have really cool glass trophies and BIG plywood sized prize money cheques as well for all the categories..............just sayin' lol.

No Bc tough Tee for me either.....$500 is a little high for most of my white trash friends!

I guess Abertan's only eh! LoL

5 guys $100 a piece, Get off your Jew wallet!

Lorne

If anyone can, Chris will attest to my Jew side (looking forward to Duff's riggers! lol)....$500 might be abit steep for our boat...we only need 2 to go out and slay it. Anymore people and that means less fish to bring home!!!

Since the weather is the ultimate factor in all of this it could be 5 days of fishing for $500 bucks entry....or 5 nights of drinking at the dock!! I have no problem with the intentions of an entry fee to generate some revenue and prizes n whatnot but this isn't salmon fishing and a higher power (The mighty Ocean) will determine if we are Tuna fishing or not.

This makes tons of sense. THat way, even guys that can only make it one day have a good shot at winning.

This makes tons of sense. THat way, even guys that can only make it one day have a good shot at winning.

Roger that. My personal preference for breakdown would go something like this:

Entry fee of $$$ that gets you a shot at the main prize.
Daily fee of $$ that gets you a shot at that daily prize.

This way, everyone can enter a weight into the main pot (providing you catch fish). Teams that can only fish one or two day (for financial or other reasons) can put in for the main entry and one daily. Other teams with vicious tuna fishing addictions can fish every day (weather permitting), put up per-day cash for the daily prizes and enter their best daily weight into the main pot.

Back